Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2008, 21:18   #3706
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

ill repeat the URL as it seems everyone missed it

the best reporting iv seen so far, and something along the lines id hope Mick might write (what happened to that CF news?)and pointed out to him earlyer...

http://www.ibls.com/internet_law_new...stnews&id=2037

"
The real issue is privacy.

The ICO said that Phorm must be quite careful to receive support from the Government, stating: "Phorm and the ISP will also have to comply with the PECR even where they do not process personal data. Under Regulation 6 of PECR a user must be informed when a cookie placed on their computer, given clear and comprehensive information about the purpose of the storage and given the ability to refuse it being placed on the system....

Users will also be able to configure their internet browser to block all cookies from Phorm and therefore prevent any profiling without a cookie being loaded. How this operates in practice will not be apparent until the trials by the ISP get underway or the product is rolled out but it should be possible for Phorm to achieve compliance with Regulation 6."

but OC we cant block cookies or we are then tracked by the Phorm DPI kit so that to phorm webwise is getting wrong.
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2008, 21:23   #3707
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Thanks CaptJamie. As I said before its imperative that Phorm/80 20 thinking get the full footage out ASAP. It was frustrating enough not being able to go to the meeting myself, then frustrating that there was no live webcast, if we dont have their release by this time tomorrow my criticisms of them will mount again.

I do hope that Phorm and their PR drones arent going to slow down the release with arguments about the editing. I dont need any fancy titles sequences, any flashy preludes or "extras." I want it in its pure, unadulterated, raw totality.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:26   #3708
Pasanonic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV + MUTV 20MB Phone.
Pasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post

but OC we cant block cookies or we are then tracked by the Phorm DPI kit so that to is wrong.
I'm pretty sure that unless the ISP's implement the system as in informed opt-in and then place those users in a different IP range to be routed through a separate network from the general traffic ( which of course will be most people. I have every faith that even the most clueless of internet users, given the opportunity to sign up for a system that gives them adverts, more or less relevant will simply say no. Even if the ISP plays on the fears of users about security, many are wiser than they were in this area and already know that they have 'something' in place doing that job ) then we will be unable to avoid being profiled by the DPI equipment even if no data is passed to Phorm. That still boils down to interception and IANAL but it still looks illegal to me.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:26   #3709
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
do hope that Phorm and their PR drones arent going to slow down the release with arguments about the editing. I dont need any fancy titles sequences, any flashy preludes or "extras." I want it in its pure, unadulterated, raw totality.
First Zimbabwe, now this; is there no end to the procrastination? Perhaps Phorm have insited the footage be sent away for anonimising first.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:27   #3710
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

as we would have got if they had done the live stream as requested, they didnt and so we are dependant on others good will.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:30   #3711
Pasanonic
Inactive

Pasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
First Zimbabwe, now this; is there no end to the procrastination? Perhaps Phorm have insited the footage be sent away for anonimising first.
It would be unfair to accuse 80/20, who I understand will be releasing the video, of editing the footage to make it appear more flattering to 'Krazy' Kent. Yet further delay does indeed make one wonder if they are simply reluctant to release it whilst they are discussing the best way to deal with the backlash.

Of course we are very privileged to have CJH and his footage soon available and that may force their hand anyway.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:37   #3712
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Just a quick update, there is a strong possibility that I will be in the BBC "Click" studio next week regarding Phorm. I just received the invite this afternoon. Another trip to London...

Alexander Hanff
Cool I watch Click all the time.

Quote:
I am not a hero, the people who see this technology for what it is and are trying to stop it are the heros. The gentleman who was almost moved to tears in his comments on Phorm at the meeting is a hero. My friend who was good enough to drive me there, hang around at the after meeting gathering and then drive me back is a hero. Simon Davies is a hero. Richard Clayton is a hero. I am just a man fighting for liberty.

Alexander Hanff
You are a hero to me!
Old 16-04-2008, 21:40   #3713
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I am not sure if 80/20T are responsible for the video or not, all I know is there is one that is going to be released in the near future (I don't know when). I got the impression it was an independent crew but as I said, I don't know for certain.

Alexander Hanff
Old 16-04-2008, 21:44   #3714
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Wonder if this is why they want us to just accept phorm..

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ng-web-traffic

Some ISPs in America already work as phorm want over here..
Old 16-04-2008, 21:44   #3715
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Phorm argue the footage doesnt need to be anonymised. They only filmed people below the head. Honest guv. They didn't even look at peoples faces. They wouldn't do such things. This is a new standard in anonymity. What do you mean the footage shows faces? Its not true. Not true. Neener, neener, neener, la, la, la
Old 16-04-2008, 21:46   #3716
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Thanks CaptJamie. As I said before its imperative that Phorm/80 20 thinking get the full footage out ASAP. It was frustrating enough not being able to go to the meeting myself, then frustrating that there was no live webcast, if we dont have their release by this time tomorrow my criticisms of them will mount again.

I do hope that Phorm and their PR drones arent going to slow down the release with arguments about the editing. I dont need any fancy titles sequences, any flashy preludes or "extras." I want it in its pure, unadulterated, raw totality.
I've lost count of the number of times I've said the footage should be unedited. I'm sorry I couldn't get it done earlier but my family is without net. No editing is needed - the full proceedings need to be posted in the raw (so to speak) so that we can see all that transpired and reach our own judgements.

It's taking a while but it's getting there.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:48   #3717
popper
Inactive

Quote:
that was my exact point days before the PIA meeting when i told Simon here #25 13-04-2008

(remember the Zimbabwean voting... and still waiting for the result; we dont want that kind of happening going on, do we, on this most important issue in the UK online community to date)
Old 16-04-2008, 21:50   #3718
Pasanonic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I am not sure if 80/20T are responsible for the video or not, all I know is there is one that is going to be released in the near future (I don't know when). I got the impression it was an independent crew but as I said, I don't know for certain.

Alexander Hanff
I thought I had read comments from Simon on here stating they they had arranged for the event to be filmed and would be releasing that video 'soon' . They certainly did say so on the front page of their website but somehow between now and last night the article about the meeting and the video promises have been removed.

I was able to copy and paste that information from their site and post it here before it was removed.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...-post3501.html

Also Alexander I know of your respect for Simon and I hope I have not offended you with my recent comments regarding 80/20 thinking on this matter. I have tried to be as impersonal as possible and not make it about Simon as an individual.
Old 16-04-2008, 21:50   #3719
OF1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
I've lost count of the number of times I've said the footage should be unedited. I'm sorry I couldn't get it done earlier but my family is without net. No editing is needed - the full proceedings need to be posted in the raw (so to speak) so that we can see all that transpired and reach our own judgements.

It's taking a while but it's getting there.
CJH please don't take my comments to be any kind of criticism or complaint against you regarding footage taken at the meeting. I am grateful that you and alexander were able to attend and that you were there to record as much as you could.

My comments were 100% aimed at whoever is responsible for releasing the proffessionally filmed footage.
Old 16-04-2008, 22:00   #3720
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder...is there a link between this Phorm malarky and Berkett's comments on net neutrality?

Is he setting us up for a, "get Phormed and enjoy priority routing for your traffic or opt-out and get to the back of the queue"?

Just idle thinking, that's all...
Closed Thread