Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 11-01-2012, 13:14   #346
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
That's a missed opportunity if ever there was one .
The fallout from customers wouldn't be worth it, but rest assured Virgin will benefit from this. For one, if they only supply one type of Modem, they can order huge numbers of them, meaning each modem costs less. Furthermore, they won't have to support older modem types - which means training is easier (i.e. cheaper) and they won't need to keep their internal tools and software up to date for them. It'll cost a bit up front, but in the end Virgin will save money.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 13:28   #347
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

first of all this is a good start PR wise but VM really need to push the SH.. think what you will of it, its security that needs priority first and foremost!

Quote:
Broadband Size : S (up to 2Mb) > Up to 5Mb
Broadband Size : M (up to 10Mb) > Up to 20Mb
Broadband Size : L (up to 10Mb) > Up to 20Mb

Broadband Size : XL (up to 20Mb or 30Mb) > Up to 60Mb
Broadband Size : XXL (up to 50Mb) > Up to 100Mb
Broadband Size : 100 (up to 100Mb) > Up to 120Mb – Note these increases will start from summer 2012
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:34   #348
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I'd expect early 2014 for me then. Still don't even have a proper 50mbit service yet, and that was supposed to finish being rolled out last year.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:35   #349
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

It all wrong maths by VM:

Broadband Size : 100 (up to 100Mb) > Up to 120Mb – Note these increases will start from summer 2012

Should be like this:

Broadband Size : S (up to 2Mb) > Up to 4Mb
Broadband Size : 100 (up to 100Mb) > Up to 200Mb – Note these increases will start from summer 2012

What happen to VM promise of 200 Meg ? I want 200 not 120 !
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:36   #350
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
its security that needs priority first and foremost!
What security?
Old 11-01-2012, 13:36   #351
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
•20Mb and 30Mb increased to 60Mb
I wonder how this will pan out for 20mb users without a Superhub
Old 11-01-2012, 13:37   #352
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I wonder how this will pan out for 20mb users without a Superhub
They'll need one to get 60Mbit. Based on previous upgrades, anyone that needs new kit to get the new speed for their tier will get one for free
Old 11-01-2012, 13:37   #353
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
It might. I dont think there is much of a differance between 110 and 120, I want the reduction in price more than the upgrade.
I reckon they'll need to fix this one. I can't see people paying £10 (? is that correct) extra just for an additional 10% in headline speed which may well vanish in congesion anyway.

What hasn't been announced is the new traffic management which I thought would be linked with the headline speed upgrades - maybe there will be differentiation there.

I'm guessing that the limited max speed to 120Mbps reflects that they won't have 8 bonded downstreams across the network any time soon unless they are being sensible and regard that increased bandwidth as congestion relief. I'm assuming extra channels being bonded would be significantly more available bandwidth per modem - I don't know enough about cable infrastructure to know that for sure though.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:38   #354
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Obviously when it comes it comes but reading your post you say we will need a new modem as our speed will go from 30mb to 60mb.
30mb users will NOT need a new modem.
Old 11-01-2012, 13:38   #355
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
30mb users will NOT need a new modem.
30Mbit customers with a VMDG300 might

P.S not saying they definately will, but it's a possibility
Old 11-01-2012, 13:40   #356
ynwa
Inactive

ynwa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
It all wrong maths by VM:

Should be like this:

Broadband Size : S (up to 2Mb) > Up to 4Mb
Broadband Size : 100 (up to 100Mb) > Up to 200Mb – Note these increases will start from summer 2012

What happen to VM promise of 200 Meg ? I want 200 not 120 !
Agree. If prices stay the same, why would i want to stay on the top service (120mb) when for a good bit less i can just drop to 100mb. Or am i missing something?
ynwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:42   #357
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynwa View Post
Agree. If prices stay the same, why would i want to stay on the top service (120mb) when for a good bit less i can just drop to 100mb. Or am i missing something?
Personally I can't see Virgin running a 100 and 120 tier

I think what is possibly more likely (personal guess here) is that everyone on 100Mbit will get a further increase to 120Mbit
Old 11-01-2012, 13:42   #358
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
We're already at the limitations of a lot of consumer equipment. Despite Wireless "G" equipment being rated for 54Mbps, it's highly unlikely that anyone using it will get anywhere near it. Even if you're right next to your router, you're extremely lucky to hit 45Mbps. Move to another room and that'll drop below 30Meg.
Wireless G isn't capable of more than 25mbps at any distance. The technology simply does not allow it. You won't get 30 or 45 at any distance.

Quote:
It's a problem with the technology, but also that most people's equipment is just poor. Wireless-N is even worse in terms of advertised speeds vs real speeds. I've seen so many Wireless-N users sitting at around 72Mbit that it's not even funny.
Wrong. Wireless-N is far better in terms of advertised speeds vs real speeds. G will achieve 25 out of 54 at best. N will achieve 60 out of 72. 65/72 is the default, standard, basic rate of N. Speeds above 72/144 have to be disabled by default on most wifi certified devices.

Quote:
Same reasons - the equipment in use is often a cheap model that does the bare minimum to hit that Wireless-N standard.
No.

Quote:
Go ahead and look at most laptops on sale now - they're all wireless-N, but they'll only use 1x1 antennae, instead of the (much better) 3x3 arrangement, or even 1x3 that you need to hit the 300Mbit that Wireless-N is rated.
Completely wrong. Most laptops have 2x2, and 2x2 is 300mbit. 3x3 is 450, not 300. Wireless-N doesn't have any single speed rating (up to 600 is easily possible), just because 300 is the most common rating so far doesn't mean wireless-N is only 300.
Old 11-01-2012, 13:45   #359
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I reckon they'll need to fix this one. I can't see people paying £10 (? is that correct) extra just for an additional 10% in headline speed which may well vanish in congesion anyway.

What hasn't been announced is the new traffic management which I thought would be linked with the headline speed upgrades - maybe there will be differentiation there.

I'm guessing that the limited max speed to 120Mbps reflects that they won't have 8 bonded downstreams across the network any time soon unless they are being sensible and regard that increased bandwidth as congestion relief. I'm assuming extra channels being bonded would be significantly more available bandwidth per modem - I don't know enough about cable infrastructure to know that for sure though.
I am sure that a lot more information will flow over the next month, Be it by leaks or official announcements. Traffic management will i feel make or break this.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:46   #360
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Saw ispreview stated here:

Planned VirginMedia Download Speed Upgrades
* 10Mb increased to 20Mb [2Mbps Uploads]
* 20Mb and 30Mb increased to 60Mb [6Mbps Uploads]
* 50Mb increased to 100Mb [10Mbps Uploads]
* 100Mb increased to 120Mb [12Mbps Uploads]

Why is upload is really bad on top tied 120Mb ? Should be 40Mb upload but why 12Mb ??
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote