Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 11-01-2012, 12:19   #331
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
And to be accurate it will be 120 meg
There will be far far more on 50Mbps with a VMNG300 getting 100Mbps in this upgrade than there are on 100Mbps with a VMNG300 which we know currently works on 100Mbps so the repeated question was perfectly valid IMO.

Does that need a or not?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20   #332
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I would expect anyone with a VMNG300 will need a SuperHub to get 100Mbit as part of this upgrade
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22   #333
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi all

I currently have the 50Mb serve with a D-Link DIR-615 modem.

I was considering buying a range extender to give better coverage in my house but wondered if I am upgraded to the 100Mb package with a new super hub modem if the range will be better (so I don’t need to buy a range extender)…..

Any ideas or comemnts.

Many thanks for your time

Regards

Mike
As someone who has used both the DIR-615 and a Superhub, I didn't find there to be much difference in range between them. The edge went slightly to the D-link but that may have been due to installing DD-WRT. It's worth remembering that the D-link is, by and large, a pretty cheap/budget piece of equipment so it isn't capable of amazing things by wireless-n standards. The Superhub, as far as I'm aware, is technically better hardware-wise but has been hampered by software issues.

But the main thing to keep in mind is that the superhub has Gigabit Ethernet, while the D-link only does 100Mbit. If you're on a wired connection, you might see a bump just from switching to the Superhub.

Instead of buying a range extender, you might be better switching to the superhub and seeing how it goes. If it doesn't work out, then buy yourself a decent Wireless-N router and switch the superhub to modem-only mode.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23   #334
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I was considering buying a range extender to give better coverage in my house but wondered if I am upgraded to the 100Mb package with a new super hub modem if the range will be better...
Please tell me you are having a laugh. If not have a search for Superhub and WiFi and count the posts praising them (if you can find any) compared to the complaints.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:32   #335
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

@BenMcr, can you ask your bosses if users with older modems will have to pay £30 to get their speed doubled when their area is upgraded, hoping to be upgraded from 20mb to 60mb for free without any charges.
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33   #336
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

[QUOTE=Kushan;35359213]The edge went slightly to the D-link but that may have been due to installing DD-WRT. QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply...........what is DD-WRT ???

Many thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:35   #337
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post
@BenMcr, can you ask your bosses if users with older modems will have to pay £30 to get their speed doubled when their area is upgraded, hoping to be upgraded from 20mb to 60mb for free without any charges.
That level of information hasn't yet been released.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:45   #338
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

As far as I can tell anyone needing a Superhub for the new speeds will not be charged for it.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:47   #339
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
The edge went slightly to the D-link but that may have been due to installing DD-WRT.
Thanks for the reply...........what is DD-WRT ???

Many thanks

Mike
DD-WRT is a custom firmware for many routers (such as the DIR-615). It completely changes the interface (that you get when you go to http://192.168.0.1) and adds new/additional capabilities of the device. It's not really for the feint of heart though, it's more involved than say installing windows and if you make a mistake, you could brick your router. Its also still very much in beta and requires installing different versions to get something stable (for example, I got a new laptop recently and it wouldn't connect to it, so I updated the firmware - which fixed it, but prevented my smartphone from connecting. It took some trial and error to find a version that both worked with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That level of information hasn't yet been released.
It does say in this BBC article:

Quote:
Most customers will not notice the upgrades taking place, nor will any have to pay for the changes to take place, a spokesman said.

However, some users with old modems and other similar hardware will receive new up-to-date equipment free of charge.
Of course, we all know that free equipment sometimes comes with an "activation charge" but at the very least it implies that everyone gets a free superhub.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:50   #340
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
There will be far far more on 50Mbps with a VMNG300 getting 100Mbps in this upgrade than there are on 100Mbps with a VMNG300 which we know currently works on 100Mbps so the repeated question was perfectly valid IMO.

Does that need a or not?
It might. I dont think there is much of a differance between 110 and 120, I want the reduction in price more than the upgrade.

I have never disagreed with you on what works at 100 meg . I honestly would have my vmg300 back tomorrow if i had the chance. It comes to something that as soon as i push the shub that little bit harder than what is standard i then have to jump on Modem mode and run my network via a clearos router and wireless repeater.

Yes your are correct lots of users on 50 will just take the 100 to ensure they keep the VMG300 modem

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52   #341
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

but it says:

Quote:
However, some users with old modems and other similar hardware will receive new up-to-date equipment free of charge.
They didn't say ALL users with old modems will get free equipment, i presume they mean that but the wording the vm P.R dept used was poor.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54   #342
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
but it says:

They didn't say ALL users with old modems will get free equipment, i presume they mean that but the wording the vm P.R dept used was poor.
Depending on the tier, you may not need new kit e.g most of those going from 10Mbit to 20Mbit wont need a new modem
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59   #343
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
As far as I can tell anyone needing a Superhub for the new speeds will not be charged for it.
That's a missed opportunity if ever there was one .
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:01   #344
virginruinedntl
Inactive

ahh, i see. Well i'll stay on 20mb until my area is upgraded, i should then get new modem then will downgrade to the L 20mb package and save myself a bit of £. Its a shame the bandwidth for the new 20mb will be the same seeing as though iplayer hd and netflix hd use alot of bandwidth, alot of users might not be able to get highest quality at the reduced 5mb speed. Virgin need to check this out as virgin could lose quite a few customers as a result of this.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
That's a missed opportunity if ever there was one .
not really forcing nearly all their customers to pay £30 when most don't even use all their 10mb would lead to huge numbers of poorer customers quitting. Would seriously hurt virgin more than the cost of upgrading the modems.
Old 11-01-2012, 13:03   #345
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Its a shame the bandwidth for the new 20mb will be the same seeing as though iplayer hd and netflix hd use alot of bandwidth,
What do you mean, bandwidth is the same?