Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : Season 6

Old 22-10-2011, 12:29   #301
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

Three years is a reasonable spell for anyone in the role. I like him as the Doctor but I wont lose any sleep if he goes next year. It won't be a scandal either.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2011, 12:31   #302
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Three years is a reasonable spell for anyone in the role. I like him as the Doctor but I wont lose any sleep if he goes next year. It won't be a scandal either.
I agree, he is a good doctor and I remember wondering what would happen when eccleston left. I am sure whoever takes over will do a fine job.
Kingofthedead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 12:56   #303
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthedead4 View Post
That time can't come quickly enough IMO. The series must get better story lines if it is going to survive.

I'm only surprised it wasn't canned after the last series.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 13:14   #304
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Why is it a surprise? The ratings are still good, still comparable to the ratings of previous series.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 13:15   #305
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Also the most watched programme on Iplayer.
Old 22-10-2011, 13:41   #306
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Why is it a surprise? The ratings are still good, still comparable to the ratings of previous series.
Obviously it's just my opinion.
Old 26-10-2011, 12:10   #307
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I'd be happy to see him go.
Old 26-10-2011, 12:14   #308
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Obviously it's just my opinion.
And you're entitled to it, but if you're surprised the series hasn't been cancelled, you must be surprised that so few people share that opinion.
Old 26-10-2011, 12:53   #309
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Im still enjoying it, though not perhaps quite as much as 2/3 years ago. It has become slightly over complex at times IMO, I think someone mentioned this earlier - I cant follow whats going on sometimes.

As doctors go, Matt Smith is certainly not my favourite, but nor is he the worst. I think he babbles too much on occasions.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 13:08   #310
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And you're entitled to it, but if you're surprised the series hasn't been cancelled, you must be surprised that so few people share that opinion.
Not really, I've seen series that were far better than the current Dr Who series get canned or partially canned. F1 comes to mind.

Viewer numbers are not the whole story, there is also the cost factor. The current Who series looks to be relatively cheap to produce and so in the present economical clime may be on the back burner when it comes to the axe swinging.

Of course everything mediawise is extremely subjective.....
Old 28-10-2011, 08:47   #311
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Quote:
Not really, I've seen series that were far better than the current Dr Who series get canned or partially canned. F1 comes to mind.

Viewer numbers are not the whole story, there is also the cost factor. The current Who series looks to be relatively cheap to produce and so in the present economical clime may be on the back burner when it comes to the axe swinging.

I cant understand why they cancelled last of the summer wine? Surely that was not expensive to make and it was still attracting 5 million viewers every week.
Old 28-10-2011, 08:54   #312
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I cant understand why they cancelled last of the summer wine? Surely that was not expensive to make and it was still attracting 5 million viewers every week.
l agree that the LOTSW should have never been cancelled in my mind as it was still excellent watching as far as l was concerned.
Old 28-10-2011, 10:27   #313
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l agree that the LOTSW should have never been cancelled in my mind as it was still excellent watching as far as l was concerned.
I'm guessing it's because the cast had a nasty habit of shuffling off their mortal coils - they were probably spending millions on re-casting...
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 11:28   #314
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Again, you're trying to understand the process through the highly subjective prism of 'better'. What is 'better' though?

Doctor Who is by no means cheap to make. Back in 2005 it was costing about a million per episode. The whole production was re-tooled for HD a couple of years ago and is quite possibly now costing even more.

However, the series makes the BBC an absolute fortune in worldwide sales to other broadcasters and merchandising. Making profitable telly is not a core charter obligation on the BBC but it certainly helps keep those shows that are profitable on the air. Doctor Who's UK audience is as strong as ever and its commercial value is as strong as ever. On those bases, there is no danger of it getting canned any time soon, even if you think the last series wasn't very good.
Old 28-10-2011, 16:40   #315
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I'm guessing it's because the cast had a nasty habit of shuffling off their mortal coils - they were probably spending millions on re-casting...
Don't forget the cost of providing electricity and running water to that part of Yorkshire during the filming.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote