Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contractors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Contractors

Old 23-02-2012, 20:55   #301
Tom2270
Inactive

Tom2270 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Contractors

It's the same at mcnicholas. At the mo there recruiting on a first come first serve bases. All u need is a driving licence. Got guys working here now who r coming out of retails jobs and have never even seen a screwdriver. All experienced guys r getting shafted with training these idiots. Most of these new starts don't even take pride in their work. To them it's just a job
Tom2270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2012, 21:01   #302
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

I've not been out of training long, about a month and a half, and i've got it down to 6 - 7 jobs a day (Migrates, Triples + Quads) it's hard labour but the job satisfaction outweighs it all for me... as in the customer being happy with everything is all good... yes the monety isn't great but it is possible to make a comfortable wage.

The only downside is the hours though i'm doing roughly 10 - 12 hours a day without lunch... but hey ho thats how it goes.
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 13:55   #303
soml
Inactive

soml is an unknown quantity at this point
Any telecoms jobs in the Northwet

Any leads for telecom install /service jobs in the northwest be appreciated

Soml
soml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 14:17   #304
beller
Inactive

Services: 30mb, M tv, XL phone
beller is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
I've not been out of training long, about a month and a half, and i've got it down to 6 - 7 jobs a day (Migrates, Triples + Quads) it's hard labour but the job satisfaction outweighs it all for me... as in the customer being happy with everything is all good... yes the monety isn't great but it is possible to make a comfortable wage.

The only downside is the hours though i'm doing roughly 10 - 12 hours a day without lunch... but hey ho thats how it goes.
but how long could/would you do the hours you do, years?
beller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 14:31   #305
cable monkey
Inactive

cable monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by beller View Post
but how long could/would you do the hours you do, years?
totally agree 50-60 hours a week is fine for the first few weeks,but you will soon get hacked off with it your personall life is ruined because you are too tired to do anything and if you have a family you start to get grumpy and snap at stupid things which causes bust up and grief,and you wont be saying he ho for much longer
cable monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:39   #306
DJSADERS

DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light

In this day and age a job is a job, the way i see it is i can pay the bills, don't get me wrong it is knackering and annoying but it's just one of those things, like yesterday i didn't finish until 9pm because customers either weren't in, or wanted boxes in rooms furthest away from the omni :/
Old 25-02-2012, 14:21   #307
beller
Inactive

Quote:
In this day and age a job is a job, the way i see it is i can pay the bills, don't get me wrong it is knackering and annoying but it's just one of those things, like yesterday i didn't finish until 9pm because customers either weren't in, or wanted boxes in rooms furthest away from the omni :/
I hear ya, but it eats away at you (well it did me), and it isn't long before the negatives really out way the positives.
The only thing long hours a crap wages gets you is a work force where 98% don't give a damn about the product or the company and is only thinking of how to get home quicker after cutting every corner they can get away with. In the end I felt like a slave (you are out till your done!) not a valued employee.
Old 25-02-2012, 14:36   #308
jay_g
Inactive

jay_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2270 View Post
It's the same at mcnicholas. At the mo there recruiting on a first come first serve bases. All u need is a driving licence. Got guys working here now who r coming out of retails jobs and have never even seen a screwdriver. All experienced guys r getting shafted with training these idiots. Most of these new starts don't even take pride in their work. To them it's just a job
Hearing the completely ****s me off tbh, I applied for a job in Gillingham (my home town) and ingot turned down!!! But iv been a telecomms engineer for 3 years now, CAT5/CAT6, co ax, phones, fibre, you name it iv done it. We are currently doing loads of work for openreach, but of that's what they are like **** em.
jay_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:09   #309
DarylS
Inactive

DarylS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_g View Post
Hearing the completely ****s me off tbh, I applied for a job in Gillingham (my home town) and ingot turned down!!! But iv been a telecomms engineer for 3 years now, CAT5/CAT6, co ax, phones, fibre, you name it iv done it. We are currently doing loads of work for openreach, but of that's what they are like **** em.

Hi mate just abit of inspiration for you as you sound in a similiar situation to what i was.

I was contracting to bt on behalf of kellys . The job was getting me down and the way you were treated pretty much like a trained chimp. I then attended an interview day for virgin media and got through to the final stages in the afternoon (it felt like a cheaper version of the x factor!)

I then heard nothing for a few weeks and when i did get a reply they told me i didnt get the job. I asked for some feedback and apparently my practical skills were excellent but i wasn't thorough enough in my customer experience questions.

I've already worked for virgin in house and recognised some of the interviewers so maybe they just didnt like the look of me . This was when i made my decision to get out of the cabling industry.

This was all before xmas last year. I went for an interview for another job but the advert seemed a little bit vague. It was as a radio support engineer for a company that supplies radio/comms equipment to racing teams.

I got the job and have been assigned to look after williams f1 this year so will be travelling everywhere with the team. In two weeks I'll be in australia watching fast cars and pit women, I'm not bitter but if I saw any of my old bosses that treated me like poop I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire

So all I can say is chin up and don't stop looking to better yourself
DarylS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 16:51   #310
DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beller View Post
I hear ya, but it eats away at you (well it did me), and it isn't long before the negatives really out way the positives.
The only thing long hours a crap wages gets you is a work force where 98% don't give a damn about the product or the company and is only thinking of how to get home quicker after cutting every corner they can get away with. In the end I felt like a slave (you are out till your done!) not a valued employee.
Yeah i get ya, on friday i had 8 jobs and didn't get home till 9pm!
The van is the biggest joke though... The company don't supply screenwash nor Oil since the fuel cards are gone... im guessing thats another i have to buy thing, and i have to pay to clean it!
Old 26-02-2012, 23:11   #311
beller
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah i get ya, on friday i had 8 jobs and didn't get home till 9pm!
The van is the biggest joke though... The company don't supply screenwash nor Oil since the fuel cards are gone... im guessing thats another i have to buy thing, and i have to pay to clean it!
seems harsh, they won't refund you?
Old 27-02-2012, 11:21   #312
S@Notts
Inactive

S@Notts is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_g View Post
pretty much the same here, worked for the MOD for 9 years installing, phone,cat5, fibre cable, testing and support, 2 phone interviews+ face 2 face, didnt get the position with VM, tried again 5 months later, was told i couldnt apply within 6 months of a failed application.
saw that fujitsu were looking for field techs, applied, got an interview, same result...failed, given up now.
customer service is what they want , not experience in the actual job.
still looking for a job....
S@Notts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 13:46   #313
jay_g
Inactive

jay_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@Notts View Post
pretty much the same here, worked for the MOD for 9 years installing, phone,cat5, fibre cable, testing and support, 2 phone interviews+ face 2 face, didnt get the position with VM, tried again 5 months later, was told i couldnt apply within 6 months of a failed application.
saw that fujitsu were looking for field techs, applied, got an interview, same result...failed, given up now.
customer service is what they want , not experience in the actual job.
still looking for a job....

Yeah I am fed up with it now. I know I can do the job, I've applied for one more, if I don't get it there loss really. I've seen loads of their chavvy new techs smashin it around in their van, ****s me right off

Daryl

Your lucky mate you really are!!! What sort of qualifications and experience
Did you need for that! I would love that haha. I need a new job, anything would do me now I'm fed ip
jay_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 13:40   #314
copperpot
Inactive

copperpot is an unknown quantity at this point

impossible to earn more than the n.m.w. doing 2 man work for f.t.e.l.
copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:50   #315
SLNSLN
Inactive

SLNSLN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi could someone please tell me who has the contract for virgin media in herts and beds? Thankyou.
SLNSLN is offline   Reply With Quote