Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Old 20-07-2012, 15:23   #286
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You are entitled to your viewpoint - my view is that my speed is the same as before, and I am paying no more, so I am no worse (or better) off.

YMMV
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2012, 15:36   #287
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

If you phone up asking to be upgraded from L to XL, and you're in an area not yet completed.
Would you still be provisioned for up to 60/3, even though your Superhub is only showing 4 Downstream Channels as locked?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH.001.jpg (195.4 KB, 22 views)
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 15:40   #288
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
get on BTs site and check what speeds you could get through fibre
thank you for the reply , I have had a look at the BT site and it is clear as mud, I can get Infinity but as to what speed it will be is confusing !
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 15:47   #289
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by watzizname View Post
If you phone up asking to be upgraded from L to XL, and you're in an area not yet completed.
Would you still be provisioned for up to 60/3, even though your Superhub is only showing 4 Downstream Channels as locked?
I guss so. Just as a new customer would get 60/3 on four channels.

What happens, though, if I request an upgrade from 10 to 60 Mb/s (and pay the extra £5/month or what ever it is). Then after 1 month say it isn't worth the money and ask to be down graded? Would I go to 30Mb/s?
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 15:49   #290
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
thank you for the reply , I have had a look at the BT site and it is clear as mud, I can get Infinity but as to what speed it will be is confusing !
do a speed checker. check using your door number and post code
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 18:35   #291
watzizname
Inactive

watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

Well i did it..

The guy in retentions was insistent that the upload speed would be 6 Mb and not 3 (as stated many times on this board) and i wouldn't be locked into another 12 month contract, so i gave the go ahead to upgrade to XL.

Looks like another phone call is in order as the upload speed increase was my only reason for upgrading, and less than 3 Mb isn't worth the extra £7.50 pm.

Anyone know if they can increase the upload limit on the XL 60, or if they still allow 50/5 100/10 upgrades.. and how much more would it cost compared to the £22.50 i was paying for 10 Mb?
Old 20-07-2012, 18:38   #292
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

upload will increase when upstream upgrades are done in your area. you could upgrade to 100meg and get 5meg up..

or

..move to BT infinity or Sky fibre or talktalk fibre etc...... do a check on BTs site to see what speeds you could get
Old 20-07-2012, 18:43   #293
watzizname
Inactive

Quote:
upload will increase when upstream upgrades are done in your area. you could upgrade to 100meg and get 5meg up..

or

..move to BT infinity or Sky fibre or talktalk fibre etc...... do a check on BTs site to see what speeds you could get
Am on BT's waiting list for notification of availability in our area, but that could be a while yet.

How much are they currently asking for 100/5?
Old 20-07-2012, 18:46   #294
thenry
Inactive

with homephone £39.40
without £34.75
Old 20-07-2012, 19:26   #295
watzizname
Inactive

Hmm.. Just phoned retentions again, and they're still maintaining that the upstream will in fact increase to 6 Mb, i just need to give it 24hrs to sort itself out

Can't see it myself, but i can wait till tomorrow..

Anyways, since the upgrade, the menus on my Superhub have all changed, and now i can't find any reference to what my upstream config might be set at.

Anyone know where the Primary Upstream Service Flow display might be located on an updated (R36) Superhub, because as far as i can tell it seems to be missing?
Old 20-07-2012, 19:28   #296
thenry
Inactive

upstream will not upgrade to 6meg unless upstream upgrades have taken place. have a look you might have bonding going on.. web interface login page but dont login. look to your top right corner
Old 20-07-2012, 19:30   #297
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by watzizname View Post
Looks like another phone call is in order as the upload speed increase was my only reason for upgrading, and less than 3 Mb isn't worth the extra £7.50 pm.

Anyone know if they can increase the upload limit on the XL 60, or if they still allow 50/5 100/10 upgrades.. and how much more would it cost compared to the £22.50 i was paying for 10 Mb?
If you have 60/3 then that's all you'll get on the upstream until the area upstream upgrades are done. I can't see that you'd be able to get 50/5 now or 100/10 for that matter as they are legacy products but through retentions almost anything seems to be possible.

Your upgrade negotiation could have gone better. I went from 10/1 L BB only at £22.50 to 60/3 XL60 BB only at £25. My contract shows it at £30 less £5 loyalty discount for a year which is a con - it should be £27.50 as that is the new user price. I'm pretty sure it shows it that way to ensure I call back again in a year for another extension - I may or I may just bail out to Infinity depending on performance over the coming year.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 19:49   #298
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I can't see that you'd be able to get 50/5 now or 100/10 for that matter as they are legacy products
I wouldnt quite call them legacy products dude. 100/10 is as new as you can get in terms of product offerings but they have had to put a temporary halt on their 10:1 goal because they havent got the juice to support it if they doubled everyone's downstream (and thus upstream) as they are currently doing. I am just glad I signed up for 100mbit when it first came out because 100/5 sounds gay.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 20:21   #299
watzizname
Inactive

Quote:
upstream will not upgrade to 6meg unless upstream upgrades have taken place. have a look you might have bonding going on.. web interface login page but dont login. look to your top right corner
I figured it wasn't going to happen until the area was actually enabled, but they were very insistent, and i was curious enough to chance it

Anyways, thanks to your instructions, i can now see that it is set at 3 Mb, so fairly pointless waiting for it to magically "sort itself out" by tomorrow, as it's doing exactly what it's been instructed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
If you have 60/3 then that's all you'll get on the upstream until the area upstream upgrades are done. I can't see that you'd be able to get 50/5 now or 100/10 for that matter as they are legacy products but through retentions almost anything seems to be possible.

Your upgrade negotiation could have gone better. I went from 10/1 L BB only at £22.50 to 60/3 XL60 BB only at £25. My contract shows it at £30 less £5 loyalty discount for a year which is a con - it should be £27.50 as that is the new user price. I'm pretty sure it shows it that way to ensure I call back again in a year for another extension - I may or I may just bail out to Infinity depending on performance over the coming year.
Looks like I'll be downgrading tomorrow then, which i guess will be to 30/2, so still better off than i was earlier today

Will see tomorrow if they'll offer me a better deal on the strength of today's runaround, which was to all intents and purpose a regular upgrade with conditions that weren't / couldn't be met by them.. can't hurt to ask.

I thought the retentions deals had to be renegotiated every 6 months, not 12?
Old 20-07-2012, 21:06   #300
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

No upgrade here yet.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote