Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | if my speed goes much slower it will stop

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

if my speed goes much slower it will stop

Old 18-03-2009, 23:37   #16
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Re: if my speed goes much slower it will stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi View Post
I've given up trying to get Virgin to fix my 20mbit connection. It's rarely above 1mbit and is often so slow regular web pages don't load correctly. They've so far given me 3 different excuses and now refuse to answer my emails. Their excuses are:

1 - your area is over subscribed. No estimate on a fix.

2 - we're upgrading the network. No estimate on a fix.

3 - your PC must be full of spyware. But, it's not. I've checked. Very, very thoroughly.

Virgin's pathetic excuse for a network is so bad it would be funny, if I wasn't still paying these idiots every month for it.
number 3 is what virgin tried telling me about my current problem where my connection drops out until i pushed on and on and on and now they have found its actually an intermittant problem with their network where the SNR drops. Thankfully im now in contact with a local VM Engineer whos working on the problem and hes been a fantastic help and hes looking into things.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2009, 23:42   #17
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

why don't VM ever learn by it ? They never learn do they ?
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 23:53   #18
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

It's a damn shame there aren't regulations in place to monitor contention issues. The "up to" nonsense needs to stop. Suppliers should be made to have an "at least" figure instead.

Quite how 20meg services and the like can be sold, yet people be told, even with stupidly low speeds, that it is "only up to" sticks in the throat. Especially as VM is probably the most expensive supplier in the country at the moment.

To be told the other night by tech support, when I complained that I was getting 80k download that "the net is slower in the evening when people use it and it gets busy" is outrageous.
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 00:53   #19
xocemp

Nm cba
Old 19-03-2009, 01:11   #20
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

Moaningmags, I don't suppose you have any news on that UBR stuff do you? I get my new router tomorrow and if it doesn't help I am going to be at a dead end of what to try next. Thank you!
Old 19-03-2009, 02:17   #21
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
Moaningmags, I don't suppose you have any news on that UBR stuff do you? I get my new router tomorrow and if it doesn't help I am going to be at a dead end of what to try next. Thank you!
the best way ive found of getting info if u cant get it from the newsgroups or tech support is to fill in the online complaint form on the ISPA website.

U will be contacted by the CEO office at Virgin Media and they will look into things for u. 9 times out of 10 they will b telling the truth i find.
Old 19-03-2009, 02:27   #22
Retrovertigo
Inactive

That will be my next step if this router doesn't help then! I was hoping moaningmags would come back and say something like "your area is flooded with connections, VM are nuts" - just so that I knew I wasn't crazy seeing the appalling speeds I've been getting.
Old 19-03-2009, 02:34   #23
xocemp

The ISPA are independent and will not take any action before all avenues are exhausted, they, if its deemed necessary may contact the ISP but in doing so do not approach them in a big brother manner. The ISPA are not a stick to beat a ISP with, you may just find the ISP will cancel your services with no penalty charges.

@Retrovertigo, call at 8:00am you have more chance of getting an English agent.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:11   #24
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Quote:
That will be my next step if this router doesn't help then! I was hoping moaningmags would come back and say something like "your area is flooded with connections, VM are nuts" - just so that I knew I wasn't crazy seeing the appalling speeds I've been getting.
as i said if u cant get any joy from Virgin themselves contact the ISPA

Sometimes they need a kick up the butt to get them into line and find and sort the problems thats occuring.

The Thing is what i find is tech support will sometimes report the problem but then getting virgin to do something about it can be near impossible. When i lived at my old flat i had major problems with over subscription and it wasnt until the ISPA got involved Virgin said that they would plan relief work. It did take them 6 months to do so which took the micky a bit but it was done eventually.
Old 19-03-2009, 09:54   #25
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocemp View Post
The ISPA are independent and will not take any action before all avenues are exhausted, they, if its deemed necessary may contact the ISP but in doing so do not approach them in a big brother manner. The ISPA are not a stick to beat a ISP with, you may just find the ISP will cancel your services with no penalty charges.

@Retrovertigo, call at 8:00am you have more chance of getting an English agent.
I just would like someone to force VM to admit there are problems in my area as at least that is a start. I have done as they asked and ran straight through the modem for the time being - although when I'm in the bedroom that means having a stupidly long cable (luckily I'm in a flat). You can hear the next excuses already though - oh you are using a long ethernet cable, that's why your speeds are bad now

I think I plunged more for the router so that I could say "right, you accused my router of being a problem, so I've bought one you recommend". An expensive little test, but other than changing providers - which I am the closest to doing than I have ever been, I was stuck for what to try.

I am really missing my online gaming. Heck, it even takes me almost a minute to sign into Xbox Live at the moment, never mind play any games online.
Old 19-03-2009, 11:57   #26
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I just would like someone to force VM to admit there are problems in my area as at least that is a start. I have done as they asked and ran straight through the modem for the time being - although when I'm in the bedroom that means having a stupidly long cable (luckily I'm in a flat). You can hear the next excuses already though - oh you are using a long ethernet cable, that's why your speeds are bad now

I think I plunged more for the router so that I could say "right, you accused my router of being a problem, so I've bought one you recommend". An expensive little test, but other than changing providers - which I am the closest to doing than I have ever been, I was stuck for what to try.

I am really missing my online gaming. Heck, it even takes me almost a minute to sign into Xbox Live at the moment, never mind play any games online.
if u cant get it sorted do what a lot of others are doing switch to ADSL. There are a lot of good quality ISPs out there on ADSL, admittingly not as fast than what Virgin Media claim to be but they r a damn sight more reliable at the best of times.
Old 20-03-2009, 10:02   #27
ufitm

Services: VM VIP package and DTT freeview

had just the opposite once today fastest speed ever. But then speed went very slow again .
URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

Old 20-03-2009, 10:19   #28
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

and look at ur ping rate also as high as 151. when i get problems mine goes into the 70s but its usually around mid 40s.
Old 20-03-2009, 10:26   #29
ufitm

Services: VM VIP package and DTT freeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
and look at ur ping rate also as high as 151. when i get problems mine goes into the 70s but its usually around mid 40s.
mine is usuallu anything bettween in the 20s to 70s
Old 24-03-2009, 14:13   #30
StevenJohnson
Inactive

StevenJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

This is happening to me lately on regular evenings around 10pm. My 10mb connection drops to 1mb but the upload remains stable. It eventualy goes back to normal after an hour or so, but I keep thinking it's my router or modem. Now after reading many posts on this forum I'm beginning to think it is a VM issue. I've given up contacting them because it's the same spiel over and over... "spyware; network drivers; blah-blah!"

Very frustrating!
StevenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote