Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powerline network - Stability Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powerline network - Stability Issues

Old 30-12-2012, 01:04   #16
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
re: Powerline network - Stability Issues

ok. let us know what the setup CD installs. it should tell you during install. and of course if your connection stabilizes.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2012, 01:11   #17
Luke070
Inactive

Luke070 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, well the software that I installed from the CD given to me is called Netgear Powerline Utility.

Here is what the software looks like when running

Luke070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 01:23   #18
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

configure it.
Old 30-12-2012, 01:36   #19
Luke070
Inactive

Well to start with, I've tried putting a new encryption key into it and then I am unable to connect to the internet afterwards. I will try and set an encryption key for both of them. But would this make any difference?
Old 30-12-2012, 02:03   #20
thenry
Inactive

its got wifi ?
Old 30-12-2012, 02:07   #21
Luke070
Inactive

Not too sure although I have now set up the encryption between both the devices though. Also, I'm the only person currently connected to the broadband so there are no conflicts between devices.
Old 30-12-2012, 02:17   #22
thenry
Inactive

there shouldnt be anyway mate. how much was the Netgear powerline kit? are you able to get a refund?
Old 30-12-2012, 02:25   #23
Luke070
Inactive

Perhaps. Although I'm not too sure on what really is the problem. I am able to connect with the powerline adapter just fine. I have this installed in my other home too and it works just fine and is generally very stable. I'm questioning whether it is something to do with the power circuits that is causing the disconnects/spikes.
Old 30-12-2012, 02:41   #24
thenry
Inactive

spikes on the ping monitor is the VM network your connected to. basically usage thats going on.

the circuit may well be crap and causing problems for your powerline connection. you say generally very stable in your other home? i did a bit of reading on the powerline kit youve got and well i wouldnt buy it. id go for TP Link products (posting from my phone)..

Powerline
200Mb > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
500Mb gigabit > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005...sr=8-7&pi=SL75

Switch (gigabit)
5 port > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000...sr=8-6&pi=SL75
8 port > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003...sr=8-2&pi=SL75

there are other TP Link products. have a look

Powerline > www.tp-link.com/en/products/?categoryid=206
Switch > www.tp-link.com/en/products/?categoryid=204
Old 30-12-2012, 03:00   #25
Luke070
Inactive

Right. Well I'm now thinking whether it would be worth refunding the item. I bought it from Scan and of course I looked at the reviews before buying it.http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netge...connection-kit

They all seem to be relatively positive and I just can't really see anything negative about it. Like I said, it's seems to be fully functioning now at its best so I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the power circuits.
Old 30-12-2012, 03:09   #26
thenry
Inactive

poor electrics may be. go around your home and turn things on/off one by one that could cause it to mess up. then all together. dont blame me if people in your home think your weird. the world just doesnt understand at 3am.

1 few negative...

Quote:
Plugging new ones in took about a day to stably integrate into my existing home plug setup. It would often cut out and drop connection. You may need to refresh the encryption keys on all plugs if you experience this problem.
Old 30-12-2012, 03:31   #27
Luke070
Inactive

Right, well thanks ever so much for all the information you have provided. I have now updated the encryption keys so that should be the solution if it was having integration issues.

Edit: I now just realised that both the Superhub and the powerline adapter were both plugged into a three-way-strip. I just unplugged them both and put them in a regular power socket and will see if this makes any difference.
Old 30-12-2012, 04:26   #28
thenry
Inactive

your welcome.

the powerline plugs need to be directly into the mains, wall socket. it should say that on the box/instructions/manual?
Old 30-12-2012, 04:30   #29
Luke070
Inactive

Well yes it did and I did try swapping them over a few days ago and to me it seemed like it didn't make a difference. I probably didn't test it properly but oh well...

Just a quick question, should I also have my Superhub connected to a main power socket or would that be fine in the three-way-strip on its own?
Old 30-12-2012, 07:57   #30
thenry
Inactive

the SuperHub can be put on a gang extension cable, I think