Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HELP please Connection.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HELP please Connection.

Old 12-09-2008, 13:39   #16
adam6232
Inactive

adam6232 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HELP please Connection.

how would i go about that popper?
adam6232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2008, 13:45   #17
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Is the network cable definitely OK?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 14:13   #18
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam6232 View Post
how would i go about that popper?
i dont use vista so i cant talk you through it step by step, anyone here that can ?....

ohh iv just seen your config you posted and thats the real problem,probably..., the dreaded Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00 from a PCi ethernet interface that only seems to happen in windows OS's.

the so called (by me) PCi LAN MAC address problem on VM, somethimes the combination of that Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00 PCi Rom and windows (apparently in vista too it seems given your problem) on VM, the Cable modem just sometimes? doesnt give out a valid real WAN address due to that 00.00.00.00 mac but only on PCI interfaced ethernet, it works fine from USB to ethernet sticks for instance.

the cure , put in another valid MAC to override it and VM/CM will start giving you a real WAN IP.

see my post for how to change/override that generic rom MAC for a software MAC fed to your windows network stack on xp and extrapulate for vista perhaps
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34630805-post8.html

alas i dont think slax will work for your network card out the box if you wanted to try it to test your connection as i usually advise, due to the fact the NVIDIA nforce networking and other code isnt included as standard, you may find a module if you look but thats getting off the subject and the real cure for your windows networking problem.

you can generate a MAC from inside VirtualBox and use that if you cant find another valid MAC to use OC, theres also probably an app or two to help you change it on the fly but i cant be bothered to find it for you right now so take what you can get from the above information .. as most VM techs dont really know or even relate the information above about this real PCI MAC 00.00.00.00 and windows problem....
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 23:00   #19
adam6232
Inactive

adam6232 is an unknown quantity at this point

i actually dont get it sorry...what do i have to do for the internet to work then?and for it to pick up a correct ip address orsoemthing?
adam6232 is offline   Reply With Quote