Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What does the big glowing button do

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What does the big glowing button do
View Poll Results: What does the big glowing button do?
Nothing 3 10.00%
Everything 5 16.67%
Something 15 50.00%
None of the above 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-04-2012, 23:46   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: What does the big glowing button do

So does this
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 23:53   #17
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

What was that!!?
Old 01-05-2012, 00:40   #18
JadeFalcon
Inactive

JadeFalcon will become famous soon enoughJadeFalcon will become famous soon enoughJadeFalcon will become famous soon enough

i'm being serious... WPS is a security flaw and can be brute forced, revealing your wpa/wpa2 key
JadeFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 00:49   #19
jempalmer

Not sure if this is any help but,

http://virgin.lithium.com/t5/Fibre-o...PEN/m-p/954531
Old 01-05-2012, 00:53   #20
JadeFalcon
Inactive

JadeFalcon will become famous soon enoughJadeFalcon will become famous soon enoughJadeFalcon will become famous soon enough

will look into that in the morning tnx, but thats the exploit i was talking about though
JadeFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 00:56   #21
jempalmer

Yes, I understood what you meant by the security flaw. Just not sure if that is the definitive answer
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29   #22
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it may comfort you to know that after 8hrs of watching a disco (running reaper against the superhub), I can report the following.

1) Its blatently obvious someone is trying to crack your WPS PIN, the superhub lights up and flashes like a discotheque. You'd have to be blind not to notice it.

2) It withstood the bruteforce attack for 8hrs without success. Its still running, I shall leave it running throughout the night.

3) Looking at the reaper logs, every 30th attempt, I got a lot of "Error: Recieve timeout" kind of messages. It seems that for every 30 failed attempts, the superhub enforces a short timeout, before allowing any futher attempts. However the "timeout" seems to be variable, so it could just be a network error.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Well, it may comfort you to know that after 8hrs of watching a disco (running reaper against the superhub), I can report the following.

1) Its blatently obvious someone is trying to crack your WPS PIN, the superhub lights up and flashes like a discotheque. You'd have to be blind not to notice it.
Other people have recently reported this behaviour on this forum and been told it's "normal" or "because of the speed upgrades".
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33   #24
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
What was that!!?
Prototype Superhub 3
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43   #25
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
What was that!!?
A still from The Young Ones?
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22   #26
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
3) Looking at the reaper logs, every 30th attempt, I got a lot of "Error: Recieve timeout" kind of messages. It seems that for every 30 failed attempts, the superhub enforces a short timeout, before allowing any futher attempts. However the "timeout" seems to be variable, so it could just be a network error.
Could quite possibly just be the superhub failing under the load.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30   #27
jempalmer

I've noticed, since my doubling from 30 to 60, that the activity lights on the Shub are constantly flashing. I did turn off WPS but it hasn't made any difference. I'm not sure that it is an attack on the device.
Old 01-05-2012, 13:27   #28
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I did turn off WPS but it hasn't made any difference.
Does Modem Mode negate the need to turn off WPS? I assume it does, but with the S'Hub you never know
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:45   #29
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Final result is that it cracked my wps pin, and recovered my wpa2-psk password in just a little shy of 10hrs total.

Quote:
I've noticed, since my doubling from 30 to 60, that the activity lights on the Shub are constantly flashing. I did turn off WPS but it hasn't made any difference. I'm not sure that it is an attack on the device.
The flashing I was referring to, was the flashing of the large wps button on the front. The activity lights on the side were entirely normal. The WPS button flashed from red, to blue, to purple, back to red, etc, constantly during the brute force attack.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:55   #30
jempalmer

Ah, I misunderstood your post. My activity lights have been doing disco impressions since the upgrade. The WPS button is blue as normal. If WPS is disabled on the Shub is it still vulnerable to attack? If so then how do you protect against it?