Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 04-02-2012, 18:26   #271
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Thats what ours was
I have not got the letter through yet but i take TVXL and BBL so i am expecting a rise in that region myself.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 18:30   #272
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

I'm considering some drastic changes to my package, when eligible, which will save a substantial amount of money each month.

I'm going from 50mb broadband down to 10mb, which is set to be upped to 30mb in my area in May. I'm getting rid of the home phone land-line completely and getting one of Virgins pay monthly mobile deals for £10.99 each month. Me and wife will then both have Virgin mobiles and can call each other for free. I'm going to get rid of SKY Sports / Movies HD too. In total I'll be saving about £35.00 per month, mainly from not using a Virgin land-line, without any real significant changes to my services. I'll still have broadband at a great speed, still have SKY Sports and SKY Movies and will still have access to a phone.

I currently pay Virgin about £135.00 each month for my TV, Broadband and Telephone. There comes a point when you've got to give yourself a slap and question why your spending £166.80 phone line rental a year, when you hardly use the phone, or £84.00 HD charge per year when you maybe only watch 1 or 2 hours of premium SKY HD programming in the day. Also I have no idea why I have 50mb broadband. I don't really download anything and it's only me and the wife who use it. In fact I might drop the extra box in the bedroom too as most nights, if we do watch anything, it's either Family Guy on BBC3 or some reality show like TOWIE etc....

It's not that I have a gripe about rising prices, it just made me look at what I'm paying for more closely. VIP50 is a great package, but I only really use about 70% of what's actually in my package.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:31   #273
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well we will get that price increase announced later in the year and l expect a £2 price rise there as well knowing Sky.
Knowing Sky? Well knowing Sky who knows what will happen, Last year they reduced my HD multiroom fee from £10.25 to £0.00, also they haven't had a price increase since 2010.

They also gave us Sky Atlantic free- If they do give a £1/£2 price increase I won't be complaining- I will see it as going towards the F1-HD channel so definitely worth it to me.

But Virginmedia customer with a bundle still get a pretty good deal to be fair.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:35   #274
James79
Inactive

Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb. 1 Additional VHD Box
James79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to James79

As my increase was stated as £4.50, I would guess that TV XL is increasing by £2 (as already stated on here) and BB XXL (50MB) will be increasing by £2.50, unless of course there is an increase in regard to additional STBs!!
James79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:38   #275
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by James79 View Post
As my increase was stated as £4.50, I would guess that TV XL is increasing by £2 (as already stated on here) and BB XXL (50MB) will be increasing by £2.50, unless of course there is an increase in regard to additional STBs!!
Lets hope there is not a additional increase to extra STB's as if there is then one might have to go for many people.
Old 04-02-2012, 20:13   #276
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Lets hope there is not a additional increase to extra STB's as if there is then one might have to go for many people.
I've not heard of any increases on them Den.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 20:23   #277
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I've not heard of any increases on them Den.
Thanks DF.
Old 04-02-2012, 20:34   #278
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I think the TiVo fee is redicioulous! TiVo is better than v+ but not £5 a month better
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 20:36   #279
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I think the TiVo fee is redicioulous! TiVo is better than v+ but not £5 a month better
Yes in my mind the £5 fee for new Tivo subscribers is unwise and unjustified to say the least.
Old 04-02-2012, 20:39   #280
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I'm considering some drastic changes to my package, when eligible, which will save a substantial amount of money each month.

I'm going from 50mb broadband down to 10mb, which is set to be upped to 30mb in my area in May. I'm getting rid of the home phone land-line completely and getting one of Virgins pay monthly mobile deals for £10.99 each month. Me and wife will then both have Virgin mobiles and can call each other for free. I'm going to get rid of SKY Sports / Movies HD too. In total I'll be saving about £35.00 per month, mainly from not using a Virgin land-line, without any real significant changes to my services. I'll still have broadband at a great speed, still have SKY Sports and SKY Movies and will still have access to a phone.

I currently pay Virgin about £135.00 each month for my TV, Broadband and Telephone. There comes a point when you've got to give yourself a slap and question why your spending £166.80 phone line rental a year, when you hardly use the phone, or £84.00 HD charge per year when you maybe only watch 1 or 2 hours of premium SKY HD programming in the day. Also I have no idea why I have 50mb broadband. I don't really download anything and it's only me and the wife who use it. In fact I might drop the extra box in the bedroom too as most nights, if we do watch anything, it's either Family Guy on BBC3 or some reality show like TOWIE etc....

It's not that I have a gripe about rising prices, it just made me look at what I'm paying for more closely. VIP50 is a great package, but I only really use about 70% of what's actually in my package.
Shocking you watch TOWIE,

But i do agree with you though the way you worked it out you can save a substantial amount each month,to be honest the only reason i keep my home phone is because on my package the big discount taking the phone line makes it worthwhile to take the basic phone line package.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42   #281
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
VIRGIN Media is expected to reveal that its customer base stabilised towards the end of last year, confirming that the big players in the highly-competitive television, broadband and telephone market are entrenching their positions.

The company, which will reveal its fourth-quarter and full-year results on Wednesday, is expected to have added few new users to its cable TV network, but should make up for that by selling more products to existing customers.

Rival BSkyB reported a similar trend last week, saying that hard-pressed customers were keen to take advantage of the value offered by all-inclusive packages for TV, internet and telephony. It also announced new services, including a “superfast” broadband offering that takes it into competition with one of Virgin’s best-selling lines.

Peel Hunt analyst Patrick Yau said Sky’s offering is “priced keenly” and could put further pressure on Virgin costs. Carriage fees on new channels announced last week will also add to Virgin’s wholesale costs for carrying Sky content.

He added: “One area the company has only recently been pushing is its business product, as it is using its fibre network during the day to provide service to the business segment of the market.”

Yau expects Virgin to announce revenues of just under £4 billion for 2011, a slight rise on the year before. He said operating cash flow is the company’s key metric, which he forecasts at £1.56bn, up from £1.51bn a year ago.
http://www.scotsman.com/business/int...ival_1_2097376
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58   #282
Simon G
Inactive

Simon G is an unknown quantity at this point

They are probably raising the Tivo price to £5 for new customers/boxes to be able to offer the boxes for free installation and activation without annoying people who paid these fees previously.
Simon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06   #283
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It will be interesting to hear what is said when they reveal their quarter figures on wednesday and what their plans are for the rest of the year as l am sure they will have several things up their sleeves to appease some disgruntled customers who are unhappy with the recently announced planned prices rises which will come into force on the 1st of April.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37   #284
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

SKY and BT Vision keep on adding new TV customers yet Virgin, with their TiVo box, just seem to have plateaued. It would appear TV customers are looking for the widest selection of content or really good value when choosing their TV provider at the moment.

Looks like Virgin need to up their game as their TV uptake has been stagnant for almost 12 months now. With YouView launching in the next few months with their own free 7 catch-up service for terrestrial TV, apps for the likes of Lovefilm and TV on demand content the market is only going to get tougher. By all intents and purposes, YouViews box will be able to do about 80% of what TiVo does without any monthly fee.

Virgin need to deliver all missing non-SKY HD channels, more linear channels and more exclusive on demand content if they want to continue their growth in 2012 - 2013.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:31   #285
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

Quote:
It will be interesting to hear what is said when they reveal their quarter figures on wednesday and what their plans are for the rest of the year as l am sure they will have several things up their sleeves to appease some disgruntled customers who are unhappy with the recently announced planned prices rises which will come into force on the 1st of April.
Anything they do announce will be 'coming soon' and will come months after the price increases. Is always the way with Virgin Media.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote