Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Google Android

Old 09-03-2012, 07:43   #256
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Google Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Android market replaced by Google play... play shop
Yes l wondered where it had all gone
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51   #257
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Another benefit of rooted phones - ad blockers work

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06   #258
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Just picked up a refurbished Advent Vega tablet for my Dad as he wants to learn to use a computer and I thought a tablet would be the easiest route. £117 delivered (via Currys/PC World's eBay store). It's a nice spec (Tegra 2 CPU like my Transformer) and once I've rooted it and installed Honeycomb on it (it comes with Froyo installed) it's going to be great.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 14:46   #259
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Just picked up a refurbished Advent Vega tablet for my Dad as he wants to learn to use a computer and I thought a tablet would be the easiest route. £117 delivered (via Currys/PC World's eBay store). It's a nice spec (Tegra 2 CPU like my Transformer) and once I've rooted it and installed Honeycomb on it (it comes with Froyo installed) it's going to be great.
Nice but if IIRC you will have the same problem I had with my hannspad if you switch to honeycomb and its that you lose flash due to lack of video hardware acceleration. Is ics not an option for the vega?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:05   #260
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

IIRC Flash works fine under VegaComb, being a Tegra 2 based tablet (not that lack of Flash would matter for Dad anyway as he wouldn't even know what that means). There is an ICS ROM but it's only an alpha build at the moment.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:08   #261
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

video players use flash Lew. Skynews, some tabloid sites etc.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:21   #262
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
IIRC Flash works fine under VegaComb, being a Tegra 2 based tablet (not that lack of Flash would matter for Dad anyway as he wouldn't even know what that means). There is an ICS ROM but it's only an alpha build at the moment.
The hannspad is tegra 2. Uses the same chip set as the vega and there are many variants. One of the more popular roms for the hannspad is even called vegantab after the vega.
Old 09-03-2012, 23:22   #263
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Another benefit of rooted phones - ad blockers work
nandroid is cool too if you want to flip and change between roms

Get the 'quickboot' app from the market to get in to recovery quicker without having to press power, vol down and another button etc
Old 14-03-2012, 16:37   #264
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

ICS for 16 of HTCs handsets is getting closer and has started already in some countries. Here is a list of devices that will receive it currently.

The full line-up of HTC handsets on the Ice Cream Sandwich win-list is as follows:

DROID Incredible 2
HTC Amaze 4G
HTC Desire S
HTC Desire HD
HTC EVO 3D
HTC EVO Design 4G
HTC Incredible S
HTC Sensation
HTC Sensation XL
HTC Sensation 4G
HTC Sensation XE
HTC Raider
HTC Rezound
HTC Rhyme
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Vivid

Source
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:12   #265
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I cannot wait for ICS on my Desire S

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:15   #266
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes l am looking forward to receiving it soon as well.
Old 16-03-2012, 09:46   #267
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well took the plunge last night for my SGS II via the ODIN method as my KIES software managed to go bonkers again, so didn't feeling like trusting it to update my phone

ICS is a definate improvement - the SGS II was fast anyway but it's got faster, although due to the TouchWiz it's not significantly different at the moment.

One thing I have noticed so far is it seems that Facebook profile pictures no longer sync to Contacts
Old 16-03-2012, 12:16   #268
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Samsung Kies is a disgrace of a software
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 16:52   #269
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I cannot wait for ICS on my Desire S
I'm amazed its getting it, didn't HTC say when ICS was announced that no phone older than the sensation would be getting it? Good on them really, Doesn't that give HTC the oldest handset running ICS when its released?
Best thing I ever did was choosing a HTC handset, Absolutely love sense and my EVO is the best phone Ive ever had.
Old 28-03-2012, 21:58   #270
ZrByte
Inactive

Anybody use an Airplay app for their Android device? I've been looking at some since the new XBMC has airplay connectivity but I just don't trust them at the moment. Any recommendations?