Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All F1 2005 Discussions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All F1 2005 Discussions

Old 12-07-2005, 00:25   #256
MetaWraith
Inactive

MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via ICQ to MetaWraith Send a message via AIM to MetaWraith Send a message via MSN to MetaWraith Send a message via Yahoo to MetaWraith
Re: All F1 2005 Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
It's interesting to note that nobody's actually said anything about the Silverstone Grand Prix.

But there again, that's because it was frankly pretty damn boring!
I did actually watch the highlights and you pretty much summed it up with the B word.
MetaWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2005, 00:26   #257
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
It's interesting to note that nobody's actually said anything about the Silverstone Grand Prix.

Actually, to me, calling F1 boring, is boring. Sorry to rag on F1 in a pro-F1 thread, but its been boring for so long now I am suprised anyone turns up, including the racers. I lost interest in it years ago.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 00:35   #258
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Actually, to me, calling F1 boring, is boring. Sorry to rag on F1 in a pro-F1 thread, but its been boring for so long now I am suprised anyone turns up, including the racers. I lost interest in it years ago.
just 'cause you wouldn't fit in a car

- you are not wrong, though, Gav - they have regulationed out all the fun
Old 12-07-2005, 00:35   #259
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:

You're absolutely right, it was dull. It did seem that there was a good race going on at the back, but as ITV were host broadcasters, we got to see virtually nothing of that of course!

I would have liked to have seen Kimi's fight to the front for example. People keep saying they want to see more overtaking - well I think we all knew he would be doing plenty of that (becuase he did the same last week too) and we saw absolutely nothing of it.

to ITV
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17   #260
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
You're absolutely right, it was dull. It did seem that there was a good race going on at the back, but as ITV were host broadcasters, we got to see virtually nothing of that of course!

I would have liked to have seen Kimi's fight to the front for example. People keep saying they want to see more overtaking - well I think we all knew he would be doing plenty of that (because he did the same last week too) and we saw absolutely nothing of it.

to ITV
agreed, there was one point they cut away from a genuine overtaking manoeuvre to a pit stop, then tried to catch up, I can't remember the protagonists, but it was not good
Old 12-07-2005, 01:45   #261
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
did you watch the Champ Car race later - much more exiting,
Nope, but I may well keep an eye out for it in the future!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09   #262
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

as i've said before in this thread Alonso's plan for overtaking Montoya was to go quicker than him while he had pitted rather than overtake on the track.. the casual F1 fan finds this confusing as if it had worked then before the stops Montoya was in front and then afterwards Alonso would have been in front.. it didn't work but it's hardly exciting where as Alonso overtaking Montoya into Stoew would have been exciting

the other problem is if you listen to the drivers it's the car wasn't balanced etc and then they can't drive it.. if a car isn't in that 97-100% window it can't be driven quickly and the drivers can no longer drive around problems with cars by taking different lines as the aero side count's too much towards the overall lap time
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:09   #263
purenuman
Inactive

Services: SKY+ & NTL 2mb
purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
as the aero side count's too much towards the overall lap time
It's not fair blaming their choice of chocolate bar.........

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, the people to ask about the way to shape the regs so as to allow more overtaking, creative freedom, fairness and safety so they can put on a good show is the engineers who design the cars.........

How you would get an honest and helpful answer from them is another thing because each would give an answer that they felt gave them personally the biggest advantage......

The biggest obstacle to the change needed is the Concorde agreement and while the FIA and Max get a lot of stick for the regs in reality they are shaped by what the teams will agree to (up to a point)...

If the FIA had their way the regs would be pretty much what the audience is asking for....... The FIA want to end or seriously limit the aero side of things so it's more about reducing drag than creating downforce. They also want big fat slick tyres........... Bring it on!
purenuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 13:38   #264
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by purenuman

The biggest obstacle to the change needed is the Concorde agreement and while the FIA and Max get a lot of stick for the regs in reality they are shaped by what the teams will agree to (up to a point)...

If the FIA had their way the regs would be pretty much what the audience is asking for....... The FIA want to end or seriously limit the aero side of things so it's more about reducing drag than creating downforce. They also want big fat slick tyres........... Bring it on!
[/size][/font]
I'm in split minds about the FIA making the rules. The Concorde Agreement (as I understand it, and I'm no expert) is based on the participants of the sport. Surely the people in the best position to know how they want to play their game are the participants, no?

I kind of see it like playing Monopoly (and Silverstone's race was about as mind-numbing)....I can play according to the rules printed in the box, but if I actually want to finish playing the game this week, then the players agree to an adaptation to suit them.

But then, on the other hand, the drivers are not necessarily the best people decide what the spectators want to see.

Also, I'm very wary of anything the FIA does. I read an interview with Mosely the other day - he turned up at Silverstone this week, it was the first he'd been to an F1 GP for about six years IIRC.

It's like Sven not turning up to a World Cup final!
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 14:24   #265
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

any changes to the rules and the concorde agreement have to be done with the teams and them all agreeing.. which means any change which might give us better racing and more excitment won't get through

each team will just think of themselves.. see Ferrari.. and so they can't all agree on what they should do as they all have their own agenda
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 15:56   #266
purenuman
Inactive

Services: SKY+ & NTL 2mb
purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
any changes to the rules and the concorde agreement have to be done with the teams and them all agreeing.. which means any change which might give us better racing and more excitment won't get through

each team will just think of themselves.. see Ferrari.. and so they can't all agree on what they should do as they all have their own agenda
Very true!

It's what has stopped the huge amounts of downforce being cut enormously, and therefore the turbulence and inability to run close behind to overtake unless you have a huge performance advantage.

The teams will only agree to lose what they feel they can engineer back in to the cars very quickly.

The fact that some of the teams have invested heavily in wind tunnels would also mean they were reluctant to drop downforce as a major feature......

purenuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 16:14   #267
andy 1

according to the itv website mansell and prost and other stars are racing in germany this weekend.anybody know if its being shown on tv.

here's hoping
andy
Old 12-07-2005, 16:22   #268
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy 1
according to the itv website mansell and prost and other stars are racing in germany this weekend.anybody know if its being shown on tv.

here's hoping
andy
Not really a race http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33477
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 16:24   #269
andy 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
would still like to see it though.

andy
Old 12-07-2005, 16:47   #270
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
would still like to see it though.

andy
Digiguide tells me that DTM qualifying from the Norisring is being shown on Motors TV between 4:00 and 6:00pm on Saturday with the actual race on the same channel Sunday 4:20 to 6:10pm. I preume that the stars shoot out will be during that Saturday afternoon slot. It will also feature Emerson Fittipaldi, Jody Scheckter and Mick Doohan.

Unfortunately for cable viewers I think that Motors TV is only available on satellite and Wight cable. One of the reasons I have Sky+.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote