Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 12-04-2012, 21:59   #256
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

the shub in modem mode shouldnt be causing you any issues so I would leave it as it is. As far as routers go (of which I do recommend you buy your own instead of using the shub) I strongly recommend Linksys routers for both performance and reliability. I would look at the E2000 as an entry level modem (gigabit ports) and then the E3000 for dual band wi-fi and a couple of other extra features. I have been using Linksys routers for donkeys and I have currently got the E3000 and I would never use any other brand of router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
If you still have the 50meg modem get that connected and re-activated.
Something else I recommend, I too have the VMNG300 which works perfectly fine on 100mbit despite what the plebs at VM say. You cant go wrong with the vmng300 and a Linksys router
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 22:34   #257
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Thsi thread is about the Business superhub firmware, which is not the same as the residential service.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 22:58   #258
Nickjc
Inactive

Nickjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Thsi thread is about the Business superhub firmware, which is not the same as the residential service.
Apologies for posting here though I appreciate the advice received.
Nickjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 23:33   #259
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

You might want to post in a new thread , as the MTU size for the residential service might be causing your Exxchange issues, and there might be a fix... but on the business service the L2TP tunnel contributes, which doesn't apply to the residential service.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:17   #260
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

In response to ccarmock, I wonder how they have cured the MTU size issue as this is an unavoidable restriction of using L2TP tunnels. I guess the fix is to properly broadcast (somehow) the reduced MTU size the modem can deal with so devices passing data to it are warned.

I have seen the GUI lockup issue with the home SH but not seen it on the business unit yet. It has always concerned me that there is no logout options on those screens which means you can close and open a browser and get back in. I guess there is a timeout?

We too saw an outage on Thursday morning, but could find no website which confirmed this was maintenance or something else?
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:05   #261
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Does the new business firmware include an option allowing you to remotely reboot the business superhub? I can't believe that function is missing from the current setup, which is a bit of a pain when it's the only thing on an entire office network that can't be properly managed from a computer.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:36   #262
ccarmock
cf.geek

On the R04-BU business firmware I had to manually set the MTU on the Cisco router that sits behind the Superhub in order to get incoming email to MS Exchange to work correctly. However on the trial firmware manually setting the MTU is not required. The MTU on the path is still 1460 - as you say a function of the L2TP tunnel, so I think you are right this new firmware is correctly advertising the MTU to equipment downstream.

The GUI lockup on login seems to happen fairly regularly with me on the business firmware. That bug is still present in the trial release, though I understand a fix is being worked on.

I do have a logout option, both on the released R04 build and the trial build it's the final option on the menu on the left hand side.

I called about the Thursday morning outage and as soon as I got through to buisiness faults he asked was it a business cable service at fault and told me it was affecting many customers.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:57   #263
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Yes I just found the logout button whilst looking for a way of restarting the modem for Rob - I could not find a way to restart apart from changing a low level setting to force a reboot, but such a change would not be desirable for most.

The interesting thing about the logout is it is only shown on the "Advanced" menu, it is not on the normal front screens.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 13:04   #264
ccarmock
cf.geek

Agreed - a logout option isn't really that advanced is it :-)

I'll give some feedback to my contact to request a reboot option.... not sure what'll happen but if I don't ask!
Old 13-04-2012, 16:01   #265
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

We actually have a dual wan setup at work. Even earlier this week the VM connection died, but ADSL kept going which allowed our remote IT support people to check stuff remotely. That was fine until they found it was the Superhub needing a reboot and couldn't do that. As I was out of the office, I gather secretarial staff were then scratching their head trying to work out what plugs had to be physically pulled to do a reboot, despite the fact the IT people could log into the Superhub. It's an amazing omission.
Old 13-04-2012, 16:11   #266
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Hasn't the business superhub got the same on/off switch that the residential superhub has?

If you are sat facing the big VN button it's underneath on the left side.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 16:48   #267
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Yes, it does have that button. But that isn't very helpful if your IT support guy is on the end of a phone line, or even within an office if you are doing virtually every other troubleshooting task via your computer. It's compounded by the IT guy having to ask someone who isn't into IT to find something to switch it on and off again. When that thing looks like something they don't want to be touching, is mounted up a wall,safely out of accidental reach so they need to find a stepladder, and the people phoning the IT support company reporting a fault with their internet service because they can't get email, but aren't even capable of remembering their password when that has to be reset every few months, you just know a reboot option on a menu would have been so much easier.
Old 13-04-2012, 16:48   #268
ccarmock
cf.geek

Yes the business superhub is the exact same hardware as the residential one - it just runs a different version of the firmware. The on/off switch is there.
Old 14-04-2012, 12:49   #269
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yes, it does have that button. But that isn't very helpful if your IT support guy is on the end of a phone line, or even within an office if you are doing virtually every other troubleshooting task via your computer. It's compounded by the IT guy having to ask someone who isn't into IT to find something to switch it on and off again. When that thing looks like something they don't want to be touching, is mounted up a wall,safely out of accidental reach so they need to find a stepladder, and the people phoning the IT support company reporting a fault with their internet service because they can't get email, but aren't even capable of remembering their password when that has to be reset every few months, you just know a reboot option on a menu would have been so much easier.
Yeah well that's the superhub for you. The only worthwhile "feature" on it is "Modem Mode".

A bigger collection of bugs in one box than even the Insect House at London Zoo.

I always have to smile when I read subs have installed their superhubs in the loft.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:18   #270
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It's an amazing omission.
Indeed it is.

It would be useful for the consumer firmware too.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote