Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Formula 1 2009 Season [may contain real time spoilers]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Formula 1 2009 Season [may contain real time spoilers]
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2009 Drivers Championship?
Lewis Hamilton 15 37.50%
Heikki Kovalainen 0 0%
Felipe Massa 6 15.00%
Kimi Raikkonen 4 10.00%
Robert Kubica 4 10.00%
Nick Heidfeld 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 3 7.50%
Nelson Piquet Jr 0 0%
Jarno Trulli 0 0%
Timo Glock 0 0%
Sebastien Bourdais 0 0%
Sebastien Buemi 0 0%
Mark Webber 0 0%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Nico Rosberg 1 2.50%
Kazuki Nakajima 0 0%
Adrian Sutil 1 2.50%
Giancarlo Fisichella 0 0%
Jenson Button 3 7.50%
Rubens Barrichello 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2009, 11:59   #241
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Formula 1 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuxton View Post
Hey, I know what a Dynamo does, I am not as thick as I look

I am not Mechanically inclined though, so is it like a clutch, they press the button and the Dynamo grabs the wheel and spins it? Or is it getting the extra power to the wheels in some other way?

Suspect I am as thick as I look
Pretty much spot on, although I 'm not sure there is actually a clutch. It would be simpler to have a permanent connection to the other end of the crankshaft to the gearbox. You could then use the control unit to either switch between generating mode and power delivery mode. In between braking and acceleration phases it is possible that by controlling the field strengths in the Motor Generator Unit (MGU) you have have almost zero drag whilst reducing the complexity and weight by eliminating the clutch.

Hope this helps...........
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2009, 12:09   #242
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
Does anyone know why the teams are forced to use 2 different tyre compounds, I cant see the point ?

If the teams were given a choice if they wanted to use either tyres that would make more sense.
it was Bridgestone's idea as they are the sole supplier of tyres now. As such they would only get publicity when a tyre blew up or failed. This why they are still in the public eye each race so it helps them.

I have to say i'm fed up with all this strategy as 9 times out of 10 all the teams do the same as there is always one way that is quicker than the others so all the teams do that
Old 30-03-2009, 12:31   #243
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
Does anyone know why the teams are forced to use 2 different tyre compounds, I cant see the point ?

If the teams were given a choice if they wanted to use either tyres that would make more sense.
To make it more interesting and make strategies more different. Softer tyres are quicker but don't last as long so allow a driver to go light on fuel and have a quick stint
Old 30-03-2009, 19:02   #244
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiLL View Post
I enjoyed the race today, went down to the wire. It's still to be seen whether the cars are now more stable when following another, we haven't had any proof yet I don't think.

Hamilton got lucky imo, 18th to 3rd due to other peoples mishaps. Gotta give him some credit though, he drove a bad car well.

Well deserved win today for BrawnGP. Hope they can keep it up for next weeks race. Bahrain will be totally different than todays race.
Hmm, I don't think the fourteen other cars in front of Hamilton were put out of the race, or made so many mistakes that he gained those positions by default. If he did, it proves he is a better driver than them all. I think it's justice for the crap he had to deal with last year. It's about time he gained from the stewards instead of losing.
Old 30-03-2009, 23:20   #245
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

A brief history of tyres:

Back in the good old days, there were qualifying tyres, super soft, super sticky, and they only had one good lap before they were gone - the team with the best qualifying tyre performance qualified high, but could be well out of place compared to race performance.

With the end of those, and to avoid softs being turned back into qualifiers, teams then had to qualify and race on the same grade of tyres - not sure if they could still run soft and a hard tyre on the corner with the most wear (in some earlier rules, teams could and did). Another thing from the good old days was hand-grooved soft slicks, when the intermediates were rubbish.

Another set of rules that didn't last very long, was the no tyre change rules, with one set per race, change without penalty permitted only if there was a puncture or other unexpected damage.

What was wrong with the old "choose the right tyres", as opposed to "choose the right time to run the wrong tyres".

You know what I'd like to see back? the good old "Quali Hour", but with just one change, a "use them or lose them" countdown of laps with time, to force some action throughout the hour - eg. Start with a maximum of 15 laps, rather than the old 12, but lose 1 from that maximum every 5 minutes.
Old 30-03-2009, 23:38   #246
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
A brief history of tyres:

Back in the good old days, there were qualifying tyres, super soft, super sticky, and they only had one good lap before they were gone - the team with the best qualifying tyre performance qualified high, but could be well out of place compared to race performance.
correct, as far as I know - and Bridgestone used to produce 'bespoke' qualifying tyres for Ferrari in those days also ???

However the current regs forcing teams to use inappropriate race tyres is a nonsense, in my opinion - so long as all teams would have to use the same soft tyres for qualifying, why can't they all use the same hard/medium ones for the race ?????

- i.e. have a choice, not be forced to use a tyre that will grain within 3 laps, it adds nothing to the racing, just puts it back to tactics, which is not what I (as a spectator), want to see ???

Old 31-03-2009, 10:21   #247
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
correct, as far as I know - and Bridgestone used to produce 'bespoke' qualifying tyres for Ferrari in those days also ???

However the current regs forcing teams to use inappropriate race tyres is a nonsense, in my opinion - so long as all teams would have to use the same soft tyres for qualifying, why can't they all use the same hard/medium ones for the race ?????

- i.e. have a choice, not be forced to use a tyre that will grain within 3 laps, it adds nothing to the racing, just puts it back to tactics, which is not what I (as a spectator), want to see ???
agreed i'd like them all on the same tyre for the race and just have to deal with it. I as I said above Bridgestone came up with this so that they would still get something out of the sport otherwise they would only be mentioned when there was a tyre failure.

What the FIA fail to realise is that whenever they come up with these strategy things there is always one way that is quicker and all the teams do that with no variety, although the first race this season seems to be an exception to that.
Old 31-03-2009, 20:31   #248
Locky33
Inactive

Services: Virgin 120mb, Tivo XL, + extra V+ box, XL phone + 4 mobile contracts!
Locky33 is an unknown quantity at this point

On subject of tyres. If i remember right Jenson Button car seemed to run smoother and better than Vettel's who seemed to be struggling on them. Tyres can be quite a factor could be one of reasons why it compulsory to run the super soft.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29   #249
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OK lets change the topic...

Firstly Rosberg is now blaming twilight races for his problems...I really do think that guy needs to go and race touring cars or something instead!!!

And the next race is nearly upon us

Malaysian Grand Prix

Kuala Lumpur, 3-5 April 2009

Friday 3
First practice: 1000-1130 ( 0300-0430 BST)
BBC coverage (UK): 0255-0435, Red Button/5 Live sports extra/online
Second practice: 1400-1530 ( 0700-0830 BST)
BBC coverage (UK): 0655-0835, Red Button/5 Live sports extra/online

Saturday 4
Third practice: 1400-1500 ( 0700-0800 BST)
BBC coverage (UK): 0655-0805, Red Button/5 Live sports extra/online
Qualifying: 1700 ( 1000 BST)
BBC coverage (UK): 0900-1130, BBC One/5 Live sports extra/online

Sunday 5
Race: 1700 ( 1000 BST)
BBC coverage (UK): 0900-1200, BBC One/Red Button/5 Live/online.
Interactive forum on red button/online: 1200-1300.
Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/Red Button/online
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36   #250
Locky33
Inactive

Services: Virgin 120mb, Tivo XL, + extra V+ box, XL phone + 4 mobile contracts!
Locky33 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i remember right kymmy, Rosberg did not do that well last season let me check.

Yes 17 points for the whole season 2008 he managed 6th in the last race. Think he could class that as a good result unless williams are expecting better with the diffuser system which might be banned after the next race. (i doubt that will happen)

I don't post often been posting quite a bit lately but i bored and forced to take holiday don't get sick pay.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11   #251
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Hamilton dq'd and Trulli promoted back to 3rd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7978186.stm
Old 02-04-2009, 10:14   #252
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OMG!!!!

I'm a hard core F1 fan, have been for the last 20 years...but this is getting rediculous...I'm seriously wondering why bother watch a race if the result isn;t going to be the result
Old 02-04-2009, 10:16   #253
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

It seems miss information was provided by Hamilton and MCLaren, but it is getting ridiculous. Now MCLaren will appeal and it all goes round the houses again, and they wonder why viewers numbers are dropping.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34   #254
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Given all the resources of the FIA why don't they simply mandate that all teams provide unedited radio and telemetry data?

For McLaren it was damn stupid to try it on, even fourth would have been a major result from where they started. I am disappointed that they didn't come clean.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74146
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34   #255
Yeowser
Inactive

Services: VIP
Yeowser is an unknown quantity at this point

I love F1 but I am slowly struggling to be able to call this a true sport. Whats the point in spending a few hours watching what might not be the result? With all the technical monitoring of the teams and track how do the FIA not really know what happened until half a week after the race?

At the rate things are going they may as well pick names out of a hat and have done with it. That'll cut down the teams budgets!
Closed Thread