Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2011, 14:31   #226
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Would probably have to ask BARB that question.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2011, 14:58   #227
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Now, here's a thing. My daughter came round yesterday afternoon and she was singing the praises of 'Lovefilm', saying they subscribed to them for a small amount each month and they were able to get films, box sets, etc as part of the subscription. I asked whether she could get 'Boardwalk Empire' and the like, and she said that all the US series were available.

Now that is really interesting, because maybe this is Virgin's strategy in relation to moving its audience from live TV channels to VOD. There is nothing to stop VM from doing a deal with Lovefilm and getting streamed films, TV series, etc into our rooms via the TIVO box. We could have limited access for a small number of films/TV series each month for a small amount of money (say £6 per month) or we could have much more (perhaps unlimited) for a higher rate subscription.

If I paid the same for this as I currently paid for Sky Movies, what a deal that could be! I could select those programmes I wanted to see from Sky Atlantic (it's only a limited number of programmes I am interested in) and there would be no more angst about not being able to receive this channel.

For me, that would be a deal clincher, and I would be much more prepared to part with the money VM are charging for the TIVO box. I am not prepared to pay the amount they are asking under the present arrangements, much that I would like TIVO!

I sincerely hope that this is the plan. This would revolutionise everything for me and I would be as happy as a pig in muck!

What do you all think? Good idea or what?
Old 27-02-2011, 15:23   #228
Marcus125
Permanently Banned

Marcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Now, here's a thing. My daughter came round yesterday afternoon and she was singing the praises of 'Lovefilm', saying they subscribed to them for a small amount each month and they were able to get films, box sets, etc as part of the subscription. I asked whether she could get 'Boardwalk Empire' and the like, and she said that all the US series were available.

Now that is really interesting, because maybe this is Virgin's strategy in relation to moving its audience from live TV channels to VOD. There is nothing to stop VM from doing a deal with Lovefilm and getting streamed films, TV series, etc into our rooms via the TIVO box. We could have limited access for a small number of films/TV series each month for a small amount of money (say £6 per month) or we could have much more (perhaps unlimited) for a higher rate subscription.

If I paid the same for this as I currently paid for Sky Movies, what a deal that could be! I could select those programmes I wanted to see from Sky Atlantic (it's only a limited number of programmes I am interested in) and there would be no more angst about not being able to receive this channel.

For me, that would be a deal clincher, and I would be much more prepared to part with the money VM are charging for the TIVO box. I am not prepared to pay the amount they are asking under the present arrangements, much that I would like TIVO!

I sincerely hope that this is the plan. This would revolutionise everything for me and I would be as happy as a pig in muck!

I have lovefilms to tear subscription and the movies you can stream for free are older films. The new movies have to be paid for seperately.

Boardwalk empire is available on there to reserve but not to rent. Lovefilm streaming service is pretty good though.

Obviously not broadcast quality but watchable. Personally though I use Lovefilm for xbox/PS3 games an sometimes stream Lovefilm to the PS3 in my kids room.
Old 27-02-2011, 15:29   #229
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Wow, it must have been bad if people preferred CBeebies!
Some households do actually cater for their children's viewing and like me when my two were small, actually watch with their offspring.

Tis a pity I've no very young people to share such moments with anymore.
Old 27-02-2011, 15:32   #230
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:

I think the streaming \ VOD rights are different, therefore even if VM had a deal with lovefilm they would still need to do a deal with the proper studios in order to get access to the content.

I could be wrong on the above though
Old 27-02-2011, 15:40   #231
Big-Ted
Inactive

Big-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud of

Lovefilm deal would be easy for Virgin to arrange as its now owned by Amazon and they have stuff to stream as well.

Amazons size would lead the film studios etc to not ignore it like they did Lovefilms in the past.

VM could simply set up a fiber link to stream content direct to us so even HD is possible.

On top of that Google is reportedly planning to launch an unlimited movie subscription service in the UK.

Quote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...e_says_report/

The company is still desperately searching for ways to make money out of its online video-sharing website YouTube, which – despite various content deals with big name record companies – remains something of a pet project at Mountain View.

According to a report from the New York Post, Google is looking to offer a service similar to that provided by US-based Netflix and Amazon, which has been fiddling with its own film streaming service, after buying LoveFilm in January this year.

The YouTube brand will be wrapped around the UK launch of Google's own movie subscription service. If successful it will expand into Europe and the US, said the newspaper, which cited execs briefed on the proposal.

Google is understood to have set aside $100m for deals with Hollywood studios and other content providers to get such a service off the ground.

The Register has asked Google to comment on the story, but hadn't heard back at time of writing. ®

New York post story. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...jy3ueJyRkKlk6O

Wonder if this would work under the TiVo YouTube app.

Would be amazing if it did as would make TiVo even more desirable

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
I think the streaming \ VOD rights are different, therefore even if VM had a deal with lovefilm they would still need to do a deal with the proper studios in order to get access to the content.

I could be wrong on the above though

I doubt it, it would be the same as now with aps on computer, tv's, iphones etc.

VM would be acting as an isp in this reguard not supplying content and charging Lovefilm etc by bandwidth used or a cut of the sub like itunes do now.

They are already talking to Lovefilms among others for services like this on TiVo.

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419...-tv-explosion/

Quote:
Subscription services welcome

In the States, TiVo Premiere also offers third-party entertainment services from Blockbuster (NYSE: BBI), Netflix (NSDQ: NFLX), Pandora, Rhapsody, MusicChoice, Live365 and more. So could Virgin’s Brit TiVo offer equivalents like Lovefilm and Spotify?

“We’re talking to everybody - all those that you named and more,” says Rose. “We’re very open to all of them. It’s just a question of doing the right deal, making sure our customers actually want it - power to the people; we’re a Virgin company. We’ve got an online forum we’re moderating to ask what they want.”

FilmFlex is still the primary movie VOD partner going through Virgin - but Rose says that’s not prohibitive to someone like Lovefilm: “It would have to be the right deal commercially and add value. If Lovefilm came along and said ‘we’ve got something that adds to this’, we’d be the first ones to embrace them - we’re not precious about that.

“Let a thousand flowers bloom! It’s a managed environment but we’re really open in terms of who we host on the platform - as long as the commercials are right and customers are interested in it.”
Old 06-03-2011, 15:49   #232
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Ted View Post

Lovefilm deal would be easy for Virgin to arrange as its now owned by Amazon and they have stuff to stream as well.

Amazons size would lead the film studios etc to not ignore it like they did Lovefilms in the past.

VM could simply set up a fiber link to stream content direct to us so even HD is possible.

On top of that Google is reportedly planning to launch an unlimited movie subscription service in the UK.

Wonder if this would work under the TiVo YouTube app.

Would be amazing if it did as would make TiVo even more desirable

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I doubt it, it would be the same as now with aps on computer, tv's, iphones etc.

VM would be acting as an isp in this reguard not supplying content and charging Lovefilm etc by bandwidth used or a cut of the sub like itunes do now.

They are already talking to Lovefilms among others for services like this on TiVo.

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419...-tv-explosion/
So it looks a real possibility then. This would break Sky's stranglehold over TV series and film rights which would make the Sky Atlantic complaints irrelevant. Let's hope that this is the way we are going.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:01   #233
Big-Ted
Inactive

Big-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud of

Quote:
So it looks a real possibility then. This would break Sky's stranglehold over TV series and film rights which would make the Sky Atlantic complaints irrelevant. Let's hope that this is the way we are going.

I think Virgin decided they couldn't compete with sky on purely linear offerings so have gone from a content broadcaster to a content provider in their business plans.

They see that with their cable network IPTV and streaming media is an area they can beat Sky hands down.

Lets hope for better in the future
Old 06-03-2011, 16:27   #234
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Ted View Post
I think Virgin decided they couldn't compete with sky on purely linear offerings so have gone from a content broadcaster to a content provider in their business plans.

They see that with their cable network IPTV and streaming media is an area they can beat Sky hands down.

Lets hope for better in the future
As much as I believe VM have come on in leaps and bounds they will never overtake Sky.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:34   #235
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
As much as I believe VM have come on in leaps and bounds they will never overtake Sky.
You're missing big ted's point. Leaving aside the fact that VM physically can't overtake sky (due to being limited by the reach of their cables), the point is, VM knows it can't outdo sky if it tries to sell itself as a provider of a quality tv experience, because sky is always going to have the edge on exclusivity and quantity of linear channels. But what VM can do, and is doing, in its latest TV campaign, is setting itself apart as the best all-round content delivery platform - a platform that offers linear TV, VOD and high-speed Internet with equal ease and all down the same cable.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:39   #236
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You're missing big ted's point. Leaving aside the fact that VM physically can't overtake sky (due to being limited by the reach of their cables), the point is, VM knows it can't outdo sky if it tries to sell itself as a provider of a quality tv experience, because sky is always going to have the edge on exclusivity and quantity of linear channels. But what VM can do, and is doing, in its latest TV campaign, is setting itself apart as the best all-round content delivery platform - a platform that offers linear TV, VOD and high-speed Internet with equal ease and all down the same cable.
Correct me if I'm wrong but once Sky start using FTTC they will be able to offer 40 mbps BB which is ample for most. improved VOD over a faster network and the best Linear content.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:46   #237
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but once Sky start using FTTC they will be able to offer 40 mbps BB which is ample for most. improved VOD over a faster network and the best Linear content.
Ah, but now you have shifted from what is, to what might be ... A different prospect altogether.

Besides, the fact is, the linear channels available on VM are ample for most, yet you talk up Sky because whatever VM has, Sky has more. So how is it that when you talk about broadband speeds, suddenly it's ok to argue that what Sky offers will be 'enough'?

Surely, you either believe that a product has to be the best, or you don't? So which is it?
Old 06-03-2011, 16:49   #238
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Its going to be SLOW and very costly to provide.

Old 06-03-2011, 16:51   #239
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Who is arguing VM BB is the best I was merely stating 40mb is ample for probably 75 % of people. If VM channel lineup is enough for most how come Sky have over 10 million subscribers.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:55   #240
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Who is arguing VM BB is the best I was merely stating 40mb is ample for probably 75 % of people. If VM channel lineup is enough for most how come Sky have over 10 million subscribers.
Ah, so we're measuring how good broadband is by speed, but we're measuring how good TV is by number of subscribers. Makes sense. Well, makes sense on the muppet show, perhaps.

We can have a sensible discussion about the pros and cons of sat and cable distribution, or we can have a rant laced with selective use of context-free statistics. Which do you prefer?
Closed Thread