Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button

Old 12-06-2012, 15:46   #226
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: BBC Red Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
When I upgraded to TiVo I did so in the full knowledge that at the time it didn't have red button. If I'd been bothered I wouldn't have upgraded, what we have now is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The BBC are really only currently bringing us f1 and euro 2012 as far as sport is concerned, and the red button as it stands is a really good companion app for both of those sports. Yes, Den, there's a lot of video clips, but there are also some really good features which accompany live broadcasts.

I first remember multiple live streams appearing on the BBC red button a few years ago with their Wimbledon coverage-only a week to wait-who's to say we won't have a nice little surprise waiting?
l do see the points you are making Andy but there is a lot of people out there who like the detailed text articles and up to date information in which we had on the old BBC home page and at the moment apart from the news app they are missing from the sports app and also this is not a criticism of Virgin as this fault wholly lies at the feet of the BBC.
Old 12-06-2012, 16:23   #227
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l do see the points you are making Andy but there is a lot of people out there who like the detailed text articles and up to date information in which we had on the old BBC home page and at the moment apart from the news app they are missing from the sports app and also this is not a criticism of Virgin as this fault wholly lies at the feet of the BBC.
i am not sure that I agree with "its the BBC fault" as much as I would like to.
Virgin must have been well aware of what was on offer,and how it could or could not be accessed/ delivered. Still they choose to supply the only box that could not offer that service. Then say its the BBC`s fault we cant use it.
Just imagine if Ford only made cars with a special petrol filler opening & said its BP`s fault you can`t use it because they don`t have the pumps with that will fit that opening -really pathetic
Old 12-06-2012, 16:41   #228
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Virgin must have been well aware of what was on offer,and how it could or could not be accessed/ delivered. Still they choose to supply the only box that could not offer that service. Then say its the BBC`s fault we cant use it.
TiVo can access all the same streams that the V boxes can - as is proved by the way the Sky Sports interactive coverage works.

The fact that the BBC's apps don't do so is a choice made by the BBC - likely because there isn't much point building in access to streams that won't be there after the Olympics
Old 12-06-2012, 18:05   #229
David H
cf.member

Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
David H is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't rent a tivo for an upgrade but because my analogue VCR became obsolete. As Virgin emailed me recently and said the red button was on its way I'm trusting it is, as having used Teletext for 30 years or so to keep up with the news I am suddenly (although quite irrelevant to my life in most cases) totally unaware of it. I don't often buy papers (they often pile up unread for ages) and rarely bother to watch the news on TV unless there already. I've relied on Teletext which unlike the papers also updates constantly and now can only hope it's a temporary loss. Otherwise a campaign for a fee reduction will be in place as it's not Freeview so contract terms or not we are morally entitled to what a jury would consider a reasonable service for the money, and text has been freely available for all since the 80s so set a national standard.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:50   #230
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Just a quick point the BBC red button does not have many apps as yet on TiVo,but having spent a few days in hospital last week and yesterday i wish they had TiVo ! My bedside TV was £10 a day and the bbc red buton did not work either.
Old 12-06-2012, 23:16   #231
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Otherwise a campaign for a fee reduction will be in place as it's not Freeview so contract terms or not we are morally entitled to what a jury would consider a reasonable service for the money, and text has been freely available for all since the 80s so set a national standard.
No part of the fees charged by Virgin are for the BBC services - they are part of the licence fee.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:49   #232
Gus
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo
Gus is an unknown quantity at this point

So we finally have BBC red button for Wimbledon this year - hurrah !

Have to say I am completely underwhelmed with the quality though, it's like a dodgy camcorder picture, very stuttery. Is this because it is an internet streaming type service ? It doesn't really cut it in this day and age of HD services.

Will the Olypics be like this as well ?

9/10 for content, 2/10 for quality.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 13:17   #233
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
So we finally have BBC red button for Wimbledon this year - hurrah !

Have to say I am completely underwhelmed with the quality though, it's like a dodgy camcorder picture, very stuttery. Is this because it is an internet streaming type service ? It doesn't really cut it in this day and age of HD services.

Will the Olypics be like this as well ?

9/10 for content, 2/10 for quality.
Couldn't agree more , I've used the exact same app on my ps3 and the PQ doesn't even match the red button feeds on TV in quality it's trully awful.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 13:24   #234
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I am watching Ivanovic v Sanchez. I startted by using the red button on the BBC 1 HD channel and its very stuttery. I have now switched to the BBC 1 SD channel and there is no stuttering.

The olympics shouldnt be a problem as they will be linear channels.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 15:26   #235
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Couldn't agree more , I've used the exact same app on my ps3 and the PQ doesn't even match the red button feeds on TV in quality it's trully awful.
Yes l have to agree that its pretty poor.
Old 27-06-2012, 17:19   #236
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Gotta say, I'm mighty impressed. The Sports app on TiVo offers better picture quality than the SD satellite feeds which are more washed out and slightly blurry. There is no doubt that red button content/implementation on TiVo has been getting better and better while others are now falling behind.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 19:17   #237
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
Gotta say, I'm mighty impressed. The Sports app on TiVo offers better picture quality than the SD satellite feeds which are more washed out and slightly blurry. There is no doubt that red button content/implementation on TiVo has been getting better and better while others are now falling behind.
Totally agree with you I cant fail the quality of the picture, my only problem was the stuttering when using the HD channel and dissapeared about an hour later.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 08:38   #238
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Tried to watch tennis last night on the red button Djokovic v Harrison. All I can say is I have seen better pictures taken on a phone half way up Snowdon Out of sync completely, stuttering picture ( makes slow-motion look quick) sound no were near the picture, you hear the score before the point was played .
With a picture quality that makes etch- a- sketch look like a Rembrandt. If this what is is going to be like with only one live feed I dread to think what the Olympics will be like.
If this is it then in future perhaps I will look to setup the TV to use Freeview again
Old 28-06-2012, 09:41   #239
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I'm peeved about all this.It took AAAAAGGGGGEEEESSSSS for the red button to finally work and I have been happy enough with it.It was great for getting a good look at the weather and miles better than the text version of the weather.

Now I'm back to the crappy service I got back in the 80s.

Of course I can get the BBC iPlayer through the red button but it doesn't get me the weather report.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:49   #240
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Steady on Maggy! Think about your blood pressure lol. I agree though, it is pretty poor given how long it's been "coming soon".