Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 02-12-2011, 16:23   #226
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Does this actually mean anything ?
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...medium=twitter
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2011, 16:27   #227
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
No it will not make any difference to the launch of the channel in March 2012.
Old 02-12-2011, 16:31   #228
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No it will not make any difference to the launch of the channel in March 2012.
Thought so but was not sure.
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 16:37   #229
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
The two statements highlighted are a contradiction
Not contradiction, just my opinion. I was throwing out a random example of how things might change, it's hardly a definitive choice!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 17:14   #230
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Not contradiction, just my opinion. I was throwing out a random example of how things might change, it's hardly a definitive choice!
I was joking!!

I just think that US shows are what ruins television in many cases. British TV is far better in my opinion.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 13:09   #231
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that's a big debate topic.

In a nutshell, I think the main problem US TV has is that when a show is successful it just runs and runs. Eventually the quality drops and it becomes a shadow of it's former self... case in point, The Simpsons after season 9. Before double digits 90% of a season would be great viewing, now in creaky season 23 you're lucky to get even one episode that comes close to that level of quality.

Another problem is when great shows get cancelled far too early, aka "FOX Syndrome". There's a reason why Firefly is held up as a prime example; a promising show that was brilliant from the off that could have become one of the greatest comedy/drama shows of all time, killed after 11 episodes aired and all in the wrong order.

Sounds like you should start browsing TV Tropes...
Old 03-12-2011, 18:38   #232
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Oh, that's a big debate topic.

In a nutshell, I think the main problem US TV has is that when a show is successful it just runs and runs. Eventually the quality drops and it becomes a shadow of it's former self... case in point, The Simpsons after season 9. Before double digits 90% of a season would be great viewing, now in creaky season 23 you're lucky to get even one episode that comes close to that level of quality.

Another problem is when great shows get cancelled far too early, aka "FOX Syndrome". There's a reason why Firefly is held up as a prime example; a promising show that was brilliant from the off that could have become one of the greatest comedy/drama shows of all time, killed after 11 episodes aired and all in the wrong order.

Sounds like you should start browsing TV Tropes...
It may be a big debate, but it is off topic, and I'm sure we will get slapped wrists if we continue.
Old 03-12-2011, 18:41   #233
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Let the Mods/Admins decide what is off-topic, please - if it is, we will let you know.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38   #234
Jameseh

Quote:
But without this crime fans wouldn't have the marvel that is Castle so it all works itself out eventually.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27   #235
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
But without this crime fans wouldn't have the marvel that is Castle so it all works itself out eventually.
This is true, Castle is a fantastic show (especially the high drama episodes they do at the end of the seasons), but I'd still rather have had five seasons of Firefly!
Old 04-12-2011, 16:21   #236
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
It may be a big debate, but it is off topic, and I'm sure we will get slapped wrists if we continue.
If a debate isn't allowed to naturally wander off into territory that could be considered "off topic" now and again then all we'll end up with is a lot of lengthy threads going round in circles without conclusion...

... Ohhhhhh!

But seriously, we have organically reached this question from the OP so I hardly think it can be considered off topic.

As far as American television is concerned, Zeke is right, bankable shows are allowed to continue for far too long-the Simpsons is a fantastic example. Many great British shows have finished leaving us wanting more, particularly the very best sit coms. But, in general, I'm a big believer that "quality will out". One of my favourite shows at the moment is Southland, which actually was surprisingly cancelled after 2 fantastic seasons, but then picked up by another studio-the third season is proving excellent.

As far as the actual topic is concerned, the current mechanism for attempting to keep F1 costs down was poorly thought out and easily got round. The news about Ferrari and Red Bull means nothing in regard to the forthcoming season on Sky, I doubt they'll even report on it.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 19:31   #237
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Well I've got nothing at all to say about American TV programs, as many of them are poor quality, and are of no interest to me.

The thread was about the Sky F1 channel, which is a topic I was interested in.
Old 04-12-2011, 21:09   #238
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

That's fair enough, but my actual point was that we're 16 pages into a thread about a subject that I'm also very interested in, but without any real news about whether it's coming our way any posts on it this far in will inevitably be either off topic or repeated speculation.

FWIW, I have decided pretty much that I am going to give it one season of the BBC's highlights of the races they aren't carrying before I decide whether to take the plunge and subscribe to Sky Sports. In my opinion, the pressure is add much on the beeb next season as it is on Sky.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 21:24   #239
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Just keep checking back to this page. It's the only real way to find out: https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...rticles/SKYF1/

Or you can keep checking this forum: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ge/td-p/873801
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44   #240
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Just a quick bit of info. I was on the phone to retentions on Friday to sort out a contract change, mentioned the F1 situation to the person I was speaking who seemed to hint they would be getting F1 channel in some form, they wouldn't say anymore though. Could have been nothing, but thought I would share.
On the subject of Red Bull/Ferrari, I was at the las UK FOTA meeting where over 90% of attendees voted against a move to PPV. Fat lot of difference that made!
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote