Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:07   #2281
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: The iPhone thread

I reckon iOS 7 will help things greatly. I only had the beta for a day or so but I loved it, can't wait for the 18th now.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2013, 11:09   #2282
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

The only reason I ever jail broke my iPhone 4 was to use sbsettings so I'm looking forward to iOS 7
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:12   #2283
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
SIM-free from £469.

Is this what Apple calls cheap?!
The trouble with Apple is they charge a bloody premium for their products.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:14   #2284
tizmeinnit

I think they got some comp with the Z1 while the camera attachment is free
Old 11-09-2013, 12:01   #2285
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I'm in two minds about this launch.

While I can see the obvious technical advances in implementing a 64 bit computer the size of a phone, and I can see how ingenious the finger print reader is, I don't really see that either will bring a major advantage to the consumer.

To get the full advantage of 64 bit computing, the average phone will need a lot more RAM than it has today. It will also need Apps designed to take advantage of it. I find the main advantage that using 64 bit computers offers is they can process large amounts of data more efficiently than a 32 bit computer. I am talking gigs of data. While some games will undoubtedly perform better as 64 bit apps, most phones will not be in a position where they are having to process gigs of data.

Re: The Fingerprint scanner. Nice idea. Potentially more useful immediately than the 64 bit CPU, but we need to hope that the **** of the earth don't resort to taking people's fingers as well as their phones.

Also, the M7 motion processor. Not really sure where the advantage is for the consumer of merging the Compass, Accelerometer and GPS into one unit. Presumably this, together with the new CoreMotion API in iOS 7 will makes use of these devices easier for app developers, which might help improve the apps.

The Cameras, if they are improved as much as Apple say will be good, not that the iPhone 5 camera is bad. Yes, they have a lower megapixel count than some either phones but, given good quality optics and a large enough sensor (neither of which do most phones have), then the pixel count is not a good indicator of quality. You could have the highest res camera in the world, but if it has small sensor, or bad optics, you are just going to end up with very hi res bad quality images. Want proof of this? Take an image using a 12MP Compact or Phone camera. Then take the same image with a 6MP DSLR. Which looks best?

Admittedly, I like the changes to iOS 7 and, TBH, that seemed to be the main focus of the event.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:39   #2286
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Apple still fail to listen the the customers though. More and more people are looking sor larger screen, so seems short sighted for Apple to stick with 4". They also still haven't implemented an NFC chip, which I think is what is holding back the development and up take of the usage.

Also keeping to the same design and lack of real innovation I can see more people switching to android handsets.
Old 11-09-2013, 15:40   #2287
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Until we get past phones having 4 GB of RAM (which is the most that any 32bit OS can currently address) 64 bit processing is a bit... premature, good marketing potential though.

2Gig is the current RAM for flagship Android phones for example, so Google have a good 12-24 months to turn Android into a 64 bit OS before needing to worry unduly, plus apps would need to be reworked to take advantage of the new eco system too.

So to summarise... Apple 64bit.. meh

Good soundbite, little substance or value.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 20:50   #2288
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

The design only changes every other year.

iPhone "tradition" is that one year sees a re-design plus a spec bump, while the next year sees just a spec bump.

2009 - iPhone 3GS (spec. bump)

2010 - iPhone 4 (redesign, Retina display, spec. bump)

2011 - iPhone 4S (spec. bump)

2012 - iPhone 5 (redesign, larger screen, spec. bump)

2013 - iPhone 5S (spec. bump)

2013 is the "off year" when there's just a spec. bump. The "S" release in the "off year" is always just a spec. bump using the same design.

2014 will see the release of the iPhone 6, which will, based upon past history, feature more than just a spec. bump.

There are rumours of a larger iPhone next year... However it's unlikely to be too large if true as Apple has a thing about being able to use the phone with a single hand.

I have a year left on my contract, so although I like the 5S I shall wait to see what there is next year. I'm not that gadget obsessed that I'm going to shell out ££££ now just for a fingerprint scanner.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 21:52   #2289
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

My contact ends on the 18th so I'm happy as it comes out on the 20th
Will they want a fee as I'm sure I had to pay a fee last time for the 4s?
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 22:00   #2290
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Until we get past phones having 4 GB of RAM (which is the most that any 32bit OS can currently address) 64 bit processing is a bit... premature, good marketing potential though.

2Gig is the current RAM for flagship Android phones for example, so Google have a good 12-24 months to turn Android into a 64 bit OS before needing to worry unduly, plus apps would need to be reworked to take advantage of the new eco system too.

So to summarise... Apple 64bit.. meh

Good soundbite, little substance or value.
This is less about the iPhone and more about iOS. Apple are clearly starting the transition to all their iOS devices being 64 bit and future proofing the current iPhone even if it won't have as much memory. The iPad's will likely see the first real advantages of 64 bit processors and any living room box/tv device they do.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 00:49   #2291
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe View Post
My contact ends on the 18th so I'm happy as it comes out on the 20th
Will they want a fee as I'm sure I had to pay a fee last time for the 4s?
There's always an upfront cost unless you get an old phone and/or very expensive tariff.

No details yet, though...

Are you aiming for a 5C or 5S?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:43   #2292
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Apple still fail to listen the the customers though. More and more people are looking sor larger screen, so seems short sighted for Apple to stick with 4". They also still haven't implemented an NFC chip, which I think is what is holding back the development and up take of the usage.

Also keeping to the same design and lack of real innovation I can see more people switching to android handsets.
NFC hasn't seen much real world use. It's essentially just a spec to boast about when selling the phone but one for which the customers rarely see an advantage of. I think the fingerprint scanner might be a gateway to payments in the future but Apple may use NFC or something else to enable it.

Like 64bit the main purpose of the fingerprint reader is for the future IMO.

They do need a larger screen however.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24   #2293
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
There's always an upfront cost unless you get an old phone and/or very expensive tariff.

No details yet, though...

Are you aiming for a 5C or 5S?
Thanks I'm going to be getting the 5S
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:29   #2294
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

NFC is, I think, a solution without a problem. People do seem to think it's useful and a good thing, but no one seems sure what it's for and why it's a good thing.

Even one of the two mainstream uses people have identified (NFC cash cards) hasn't really taken off. The other (NFC travel tickets such as Oyster) has, but even that uses primarily proprietary systems that I doubt will be moving to mobile phones anytime soon.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:31   #2295
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Stuff all this - I am hoping with iOS 7 I can change Siri's voice back into a woman's so I can flirt with my phone
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote