Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Google Android

Old 11-01-2012, 06:30   #211
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Google Android

I prefer Nokia myself but since Nokia don't like android I will be switching to either HTC or Samsung on the 28th Feb. With Samsung being the much more likely choice.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 19:32   #212
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
I prefer Nokia myself but since Nokia don't like android I will be switching to either HTC or Samsung on the 28th Feb. With Samsung being the much more likely choice.
There was a time when nokia was my choice for mobile. But since smart phones came out, and particularly android systems..never looked at a nokia.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:49   #213
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
There was a time when nokia was my choice for mobile. But since smart phones came out, and particularly android systems..never looked at a nokia.
I'm using a Nokia n900 at the moment and its a fantastic phone (more like a micro laptop). But in nokias never ending quest for the perfect mobile OS They went and dropped the maemo OS like a stone in favour of the next big thing and ruined what could have been a promising line of phones.

Edit: had an n95 8gb before that and that was also a great phone and a fair bit ahead of the competition smartphones at the time.
Old 11-01-2012, 20:58   #214
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Nokias have been the bain of my life for 6 years. E71s and E72s randomly losing settings or just plain not working often means I've got several of them on my desk at various stages of being rebuilt.

Thankfully the contract ends next month and the finance powers that be have promised to be take on board what the techy powers that be have to say.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:22   #215
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Nokias have been the bain of my life for 6 years. E71s and E72s randomly losing settings or just plain not working often means I've got several of them on my desk at various stages of being rebuilt.

Thankfully the contract ends next month and the finance powers that be have promised to be take on board what the techy powers that be have to say.
Both good phones in my experience, just goes to show that avoiding a brand like I do with SE and you will probably do with Nokia from now on isn't always the way to go.
Old 11-01-2012, 21:28   #216
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
Both good phones in my experience, just goes to show that avoiding a brand like I do with SE and you will probably do with Nokia from now on isn't always the way to go.
Ironically I've had the same E71 throughout. Only problem I have is it rapidly discharges from time to time which is linked to the back case overheating. Many of the problems my users experience is microsoft for exchange causing problems. The most important non-phone use for us.
Old 20-01-2012, 01:53   #217
Jameseh

Very good deals on tablets at Carphone Warehouse;

Archos 7 HT (2.1 Eclair/No Official Market) - £75
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...-7-HOME-TABLET

Archos Arnova 10 G2 (2.3 Gingerbread/No Official Market) - £140
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...s/ARNOVA_10_G2

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (2.2 Froyo) - £200
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...ALAXY-TAB-WIFI

Motorola Xoom (4.0 ICS) - £250
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...OLA-XOOM-WI-FI

I'm now stuck between the Xoom and the iPad 3, its just too cheap for such a quality product to pass it up.
Old 20-01-2012, 11:57   #218
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Google Android Will this work in USA

Question is in the title - Would UK phone work in USA ( I keep getting lost there when driving on my own!)
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:33   #219
LondonRoad
Inactive

Re: Google Android Will this work in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Question is in the title - Would UK phone work in USA ( I keep getting lost there when driving on my own!)
It will work as a satnav.

Whether it works as a phone will depend on your network.
Old 20-01-2012, 19:37   #220
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You wouldn't want to use a UK phone in USA as a satnav as that will cost you a fortune in data costs won't it?
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:50   #221
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You wouldn't want to use a UK phone in USA as a satnav as that will cost you a fortune in data costs won't it?
It will if you use Googlemaps and pull in the data. There's a couple of off-line solutions based on openmaps, that basically store all the maps on your SD card, so don't need a data connection. I've tried some of them in Spain, and wasn't overly impressed though (but that was for inner city navigation where it can be a bit tricky to get a GPS lock). They might work better when driving.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:14   #222
ZrByte
Inactive

Anybody used a HTC Evo 3D? Ive seen these on offer in ASDA for £250 and Im finding it hard to come up with a reason not to get one.
Was thinking instead of getting an s2 and upgrading at the end of February like I was going to I would get one of these and go on a £10 pm 30 day rolling contract instead.
Only problem I'm finding is that a lot of reviewers seem to be complaining about constant crashes and reboots though through some further digging this seems to be related specifically to the firmware that the sprint network in the US is using on their handsets.
Old 11-02-2012, 18:25   #223
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Galaxy S2 is to get official release of ICS on March 1st (give or take a day!)

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...-news-3752.php
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:51   #224
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

That's great news was trying to find the release date for ics for my lovely s2.

To be honest i have had Sony and Nokia and if i had to choose it would be Sony as i did prefer the build on them. Have had the n95 8gb which was good but build was poor after that went for the satio which if it was android would have been a great phone but Sony put symbian on it and then ditches the phone after less than a year.

Now im a happy s2 owner and not regretting it
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 23:08   #225
ZrByte
Inactive

Just to update my previous post. I bought the evo 3d and its phenomenal. Maybe not as good as an s2 but not far off and the price just makes it even better. 3d is just a gimmick. Getting ICS too but no solid dates yet.