Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Major TiVo Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Major TiVo Update

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58   #211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Major TiVo update started about 3:20am.

I am a supporter of Virgin Media generally, and I like what I have heard about the series link +, the coming revised user interface and definitely the new Tivo.

However, I am shocked and disappointed to hear that some are experiencing a slowing down of their devices when speed is already a major problem with the Tivos.

If my Tivo gets even slower than now, I may think seriously about how I access content in the future. That just isn't good enough, I'm afraid, even with the additional features.

My viewing via Virgin Media has already declined by about 40% with the use of Netflix, Amazon and Now TV via my Roku or Smart TV. It would no longer require a big nudge to abandon Virgin TV altogether, which would be a shame.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10   #212
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone say if the update has rolled out in Blackburn,Lancs.My Tivo is ridiculously slow.Thanks.
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:39   #213
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
No, I know what you mean but it is definitely a lot slower since the update. Switching on from standby, going to MyShows and pressing play (as soon as possible) on a recording probably takes about 90 seconds. The green led flashes straight away but Tivo is much less responsive.
90 seconds
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:55   #214
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

...And what do the silent majority with the latest update think? Is it a good thing? Is the Tivo working better or slower than before?

Can we hear the experiences of others with the new update? I've heard mainly negative things so far - does anyone have anything positive to say? Please speak up, we really want to know!
Old 11-07-2016, 15:23   #215
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
There seems to be a major bug possibly in the new software were TiVo won't record some or all recordings in standby mode.
Has anyone come across this?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 18:02   #216
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Has anyone come across this?
This started happening for me about 2 months ago when we had all those major national faults. Since then I often notice the red lights aren't showing in standby. It only stats recording when I bring it out of standby. Of course if I am not there to notice, the recording doesn't happen. I think it says something about "power failure" which is nonsense. Very annoying.

I only had the update last week so it wasn't that, although the update deleted some of my series links which also resulted in yet more missing recordings.
Old 11-07-2016, 19:16   #217
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

How do i know if i have had the update? TIVO is slower than usual going into my shows
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 19:52   #218
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
How do i know if i have had the update?
Go to the Home screen. If it says "TIVO" under the video window in the corner, that's the new software.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 20:58   #219
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Go to the Home screen. If it says "TIVO" under the video window in the corner, that's the new software.
Thanks for that spiderplant
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:05   #220
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
...And what do the silent majority with the latest update think? Is it a good thing? Is the Tivo working better or slower than before?

Can we hear the experiences of others with the new update? I've heard mainly negative things so far - does anyone have anything positive to say? Please speak up, we really want to know!
Up until a couple of days ago my tivo with the new software was working faster than usual, but now its dead slow. takes about 20 seconds to start a recording, if I press the TV button to return to full screen, it takes about 10 seconds to display the picture... it's awful.

I've been considering ditching virgin tivo for a while and I think in september when my contract expires I might do just that.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:49   #221
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
Thanks for that spiderplant
They both say TiVo

However if the logo looks like the ones on this page i.e the straighter TiVo font

https://www.tivo.com/about/resource-center/logos

then you've got the new software.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11   #222
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
They both say TiVo
Only one says "TIVO". My post is case-sensitive
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:33   #223
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Or TiVO even!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 12-07-2016 at 11:36.
Old 12-07-2016, 13:26   #224
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I've been quite pleased with the new software for the most part. I've posted about one particularly strange "bug", that if you have a SeriesLink+ set for "all channels" then it seems to prefer recording on the 85x "Audio Description" variant over the "10x" terrestrial channel. Strange.

Other than that, it's a vast improvement speedwise with some very nice new functionality and I'm quite pleased with it. Will that do? :-)
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:28   #225
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I've been quite pleased with the new software for the most part. I've posted about one particularly strange "bug", that if you have a SeriesLink+ set for "all channels" then it seems to prefer recording on the 85x "Audio Description" variant over the "10x" terrestrial channel. Strange.

Other than that, it's a vast improvement speedwise with some very nice new functionality and I'm quite pleased with it. Will that do? :-)
Nice to hear, japitts. Let's hope that is the majority experience when it is rolled out.