Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New high speed rail link ...is it worth it ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New high speed rail link ...is it worth it ?

Old 29-01-2013, 11:48   #211
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: New high speed rail link ...is it worth it ?

My favourite compliant is that 'we' - whomever that refers too - won't see the benefits for 20 years. Well, if we had made this decision 20 years ago they would be ready now. It's also the constant provincial whining that is delaying this for so much longer anyway. Besides this is a step in addressing an imbalance in the country anyway which so much being in and around London, high speed rail will help reduce that imbalance. Yet we still get the whining because the professional complainers want to moan about lack of investment, moan about London-centric policies, and moan when the infrastructure comes near to them.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2013, 11:55   #212
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Anyone know what the train fare's are going to be yet?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:22   #213
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Probably not, just as we don't know what the train fares on any other lines will be in 10 to 20 years...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:36   #214
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Ok. I bet they're going to be bloody expensive though. it'll probably be a luxury thing at a luxury price.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:55   #215
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Probably have to pay more if you want a spare seat...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:58   #216
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I imagine the cost of the tickets will be largely paid by businesses for business trips. This isn't a commuter train - thus more people will be booking in advance too.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:59   #217
Gary L
cf.mega poster

To put the laptop on?
Old 29-01-2013, 13:05   #218
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I imagine the cost of the tickets will be largely paid by businesses for business trips. This isn't a commuter train - thus more people will be booking in advance too.
Indeed, they'll be going for the businessmen and women who currently have to do the same journey by air.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:28   #219
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Ok. I bet they're going to be bloody expensive though. it'll probably be a luxury thing at a luxury price.
The pricing will almost certainly be set in the same way as domestic airlines and inter-city rail operators do. Supply and demand - popular routes at peak times will be pricey, off-peak journeys will be cheaper. If they have to run a train, they will always rather have passengers on it than not. For those prepared to plan their journeys accordingly I see no reason why it should'nt be affordable.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:07   #220
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

With the new travel times, areas further afield than the traditional dormitory areas for London will become attractive as a cheaper alternative. Some of my son's colleagues spend hours a day commuting and only live relatively near to London.

My son commutes to London from Manchester because his salary gives him a much higher standard of living up north and, with a shorter commute time, I can see others following in his wake.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:11   #221
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
My son commutes to London from Manchester because his salary gives him a much higher standard of living up north and, with a shorter commute time, I can see others following in his wake.
Does he work a regular 9-5, 5 day week? Seems madness to me. It takes 2 hours at best and then all the connecting to get to/from the station to work/home.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:13   #222
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
<snip> For those prepared to plan their journeys accordingly I see no reason why it should'nt be affordable.
Sadly, It'll still be a British rail journey, so likely to attract the highest fares in Europe if not the world.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:40   #223
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Does he work a regular 9-5, 5 day week? Seems madness to me. It takes 2 hours at best and then all the connecting to get to/from the station to work/home.
It would probably only suit some but luckily for him he is in a position to work whatever hours he wants to do the work needed so can usually get away with doing a very long day in London then working from home the rest of the week.

On line check ins, no luggage and being only 15 minutes from the airport make his journey shorter than that of some of his staff. He even beats the travel time of some when he uses the train and can normally utilise the travel time to carry on working.
Old 29-01-2013, 21:37   #224
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

There will be other benefits other than being able to get to Birmingham/ Manchester a bit quicker .It will release more capacity on the existing network for increased freight haulage,hopefully putting the brakes on the increasing amount of freight carried on the roads .
Old 29-01-2013, 22:44   #225
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I wouldn't have thought that freight traffic be allowed on the HS2 line.
Don't they wear out the tracks more?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote