Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 19-04-2011, 14:42   #2206
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

We have a rule, if it has adverts your not allowed to watch it live. that way we never miss anything that doesn't turn up on catchup and we never watch adverts. It's a simple rule that works great.

Also if there is something you desperately want to watch live surly that's important enough to not forget it's on. There are a few I like to watch live but manage to remember and I have a terrible memory!
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2011, 14:45   #2207
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Actually, the one rule is RECORD EVERYTHING.
Old 19-04-2011, 14:48   #2208
clinteastman
Inactive

clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Actually, the one rule is RECORD EVERYTHING.
Record things with adverts (which lets face it is next door to everything) then you have less clashes, all the things I like seem to be on at the same time!

One think I have noticed is that the TiVo suggestions are that good that I more offen that not end up watching something from there, I have to say I'm blowen away by that feature, it's as if it's reading my mind!
Old 19-04-2011, 14:48   #2209
spj20016
cf.addict

Services: Virgin media VIP
spj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nice

How long after install should I be able to use remote record? When I sign in it still saying no active tivo on your account. I had my install this morning.
Old 19-04-2011, 14:48   #2210
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Good news Lyn!

Enjoy and let us know how you get with your new toy.

Don't spend much on the HDMI lead. They are very cheap on eBay and fairly cheap in any of the major supermarkets. They perform just as good as one costing much more.
OH paid £20 for the HDMI lead, even though I did tell him to just get the cheapest one. When we plugged it in, although we got a picture, we also had a message window come up every time we changed channels. It took me about half an hour and 3 phone calls to VM before I got it sorted.

I have managed to get the volume working on the TIVO remote, even though the engineer told me that most people use their TV remotes to adjust the volume, something I very much doubt as why use 2 remotes if you can do everything on 1

I don't like the annoying noises you get when you go through the menus, one of them is not too bad but the other one is really awful. Eventually managed to find out how to turn those off!

I think I need a cup of tea before I start to get my head around the rest of it
Old 19-04-2011, 14:49   #2211
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spj20016 View Post
How long after install should I be able to use remote record? When I sign in it still saying no active tivo on your account. I had my install this morning.
I think it's about 24 hours.
Old 19-04-2011, 14:54   #2212
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
With the amount of ads on Sky, trust me you soon catch up.
I'm only talking about 10-15 mins delay on the cricket.

Football I watch live, but I do remember what time the kick off is without a reminder. Although watching my beloved Chelsea this season, there are times I wish I had forgotten.

Yeah there are lots of ads for sure.! I was at a mates house last night watching something on sky atlantic (he was going to watch) in the US HBO progamees are shown ad free not on atlantic though kind of ruined the programme.

I do get the point about reminders people are makng but perhaps when i get TiVo the feature will be there who knows.

I do get engrossed in the news very often so although in my head i know the sport i want to watch starts such and such, the channel change/reminder means i am not constantly clock watching,guess opinion on this is very divided as the postings make clear.

Old 19-04-2011, 14:59   #2213
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I signed in on mine and have apparently set mine up remotely to record something this afternoon. No idea at all if it will work as we only had our TIVO fitted today.

Would be nice to be able to do a remote record from a mobile phone, guess there will be an app for that at some point
Old 19-04-2011, 15:01   #2214
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I went online after only an hour after Tivo was installed and set up a remote recording for a programme 2 hours later. Worked fine for me and you receive a message alert on your Tivo box to tell you the recording has been scheduled. Would be nice if that message alert could be sent out to an email address, perhaps a future enhancement e.g. on holiday, set up remote record, receive email on phone to say it is set up?

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
I signed in on mine and have apparently set mine up remotely to record something this afternoon. No idea at all if it will work as we only had our TIVO fitted today.

Would be nice to be able to do a remote record from a mobile phone, guess there will be an app for that at some point
If your mobile is Internet enabled then you can do it now, so depends if you have a basic phone or something like an iphone when you can just go to the web site and log onto your account.
Old 19-04-2011, 15:03   #2215
Manster62
Inactive

Services: Tivo. Virgin V+ xl tv, Virgin xl phone, xl Broadband and Virgin mobile
Manster62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just had our TIVO box installed today. Very nice young man fitted it and so far all seems fine with it. SD picture is as good as it was on the V+ box, not 'soft' as some people have said. Still playing with it so haven't really got anything else to say at the moment.

However one thing I would mention to anyone else who is keeping their V+ box and moving it to another room, make sure you ask them to bring along an HDMI cable or buy one. We had our old Samsung box replaced with our V+ box, but have no picture as apparently it's set to only work with an HDMI cable, so now have to go out and buy one and hope that it works
Hi - A bit concerned about this. We're having our old Samsung box upstairs replaced with our V+ - but our TV upstairs is only an old CRT and doesn't have an HDMI socket - only scart. Surely the V+ box can be used with a scart lead instead of HDMI??
Old 19-04-2011, 15:06   #2216
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manster62 View Post
Hi - A bit concerned about this. We're having our old Samsung box upstairs replaced with our V+ - but our TV upstairs is only an old CRT and doesn't have an HDMI socket - only scart. Surely the V+ box can be used with a scart lead instead of HDMI??
Yes it can
Old 19-04-2011, 15:12   #2217
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manster62 View Post
Sorry I should have put that our V+ had been set for use with an HDMI lead as that is how the engineer set it up when we had it installed years ago. I would imagine it's easy to change the settings, not sure why the engineer left here without us having any picture through our V+ box, maybe he thought we wouldn't be able to set it up through the HDMI lead
Old 19-04-2011, 15:18   #2218
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Installed early - engineer said tha they were having issues with the dowloading yesterday as the TiVo servers were down part of the day. All downloaded, but I find the picture quality not as good on HD channels as the V+ and the colours are not as bright.
Old 19-04-2011, 15:26   #2219
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
And I used to like your views !!
Sorry! I just couldn't resist!
Old 19-04-2011, 15:29   #2220
Manster62
Inactive

Services: Tivo. Virgin V+ xl tv, Virgin xl phone, xl Broadband and Virgin mobile
Manster62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry I should have put that our V+ had been set for use with an HDMI lead as that is how the engineer set it up when we had it installed years ago. I would imagine it's easy to change the settings, not sure why the engineer left here without us having any picture through our V+ box, maybe he thought we wouldn't be able to set it up through the HDMI lead
Thanks - yes my V+ is currently set up for HDMI with our TV downstairs - should I switch the HD settings off before it's disconnected to go upstairs - or can it easily be switched over once installed upstairs?
Closed Thread