Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 29-09-2012, 17:58   #2191
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think what happens now is the important thing. Apple have publically accepted there is a problem (which is something they almost never do). They now need to fix the problems. Which, in fairness, they seem to be doing. I wonder if Tim Cook did the same as Steve Jobs did when MobileMe didn't live up to expectations? For those who don't know, when the reports of bad service started coming in, Steve called the team behind MobileMe into his office. He asked "Can anyone tell me what this service is supposed to do?" When they replied, he stopped them and said "Now can you tell me why the **** it isn't doing it?". Not sure what else he did, but MobileMe improved pretty quickly after that.
I'm still shocked and impressed that Cook apologised.

Apple really needs to sort this out. It is causing damage to the brand, damage to consumer confidence.

I know that people (and Apple itself) say that as it's partly crowdsourced, as users can report problems, it should get better over time with more use. But that depends on people actually reporting POI issues etc. (I have been) and depends on Apple then actually implementing those corrections (not seen any myself yet).

But... even if the incorrect POIs get corrected due to people reporting incorrect locations or non-existent locations, that does not help if a POI is not even listed in the first place. I can report a pub that is on the wrong side of the road, but I can't report a London theatre that is not listed at all.

And of course the public transport side is 100% in Apple's court. We have to rely on Apple actually bothering to add that, in place of the current lame link to the App Store.

Sure, it will get fixed eventually, you'd hope, but it should *never* have been released in such a state as this in the first place.

Apple took a away mature map system that had years of development and replaced it with something... crap. There's no excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
All these problems... You must be holding it wrong.

Can't a Google Maps app be used until they fix it?
There is no app yet for Google Maps, although it can be used via the web browser, which actually works quite well.

The problem though with using that or any other alternative such as those 3rd party apps in the App Store is that none of them are integrated.

Even if you use Google Maps as a web app, or you use Bing, or something else, any time you click on an address in an email or a web page it will use Apple Maps, any other app that relies on the built-in mapping system will use Apple Maps, etc.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2012, 06:11   #2192
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Even if you use Google Maps as a web app, or you use Bing, or something else, any time you click on an address in an email or a web page it will use Apple Maps, any other app that relies on the built-in mapping system will use Apple Maps, etc.
I happened to notice that today - if you "check-in" on Facebook, none of the locations are present, and you need to create them.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25   #2193
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I've found a way to make Apple Maps (the satnav, anyway) a little more effective if anyone is still persevering like me...

I use the Yell app to locate a business and that has a feature where you can store the company's details in your phonebook. Do that then start Apple Maps, choose contacts and select the business and I've found the satnav works and gets me there perfectly. So far..

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 18:11   #2194
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Some new apps...

Crazy Taxi - £2.99 (universal). Straight port of the Dreamcast classic, including the soundtrack.

BBC iPlayer Radio - Free (iPhone). Live streaming of all the BBC's UK radio stations, over WiFi and 3G. Seven day catch-up. Alarm clock function. Alerts for upcoming programmes. BBC podcasts.
Old 18-10-2012, 19:19   #2195
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Just found out that on the iPhone 5, real racing 2 (non hd version) supports airplay mirroring and it works well.

You just need an Apple TV on the same wifi network. You play on the tv. The iPhone displays a map, timer, speedo and acts as a controller.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 19:30   #2196
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yep, the iPad (HD) version's the same.

Quite a few games support Airplay now. Some big name ones are Modern Combat 3, N.O.V.A. 3, & Sky Gamblers Air Supremacy.
Old 18-10-2012, 21:57   #2197
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 17:12   #2198
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Anyone know why when I sent a text message to someone today it appeared blue instead of green?

I'm not connected to wifi or any Internet so am not using imessage.

Thanks.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 17:21   #2199
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Yes, it was sent as an imessage as they will be using an iPhone also.
Old 19-10-2012, 19:00   #2200
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Oh right I see, so whatever the connection method (3G or Wifi) as long as two people have an iphone they will get an imessage.

Cool. Thanks.

Old 19-10-2012, 19:28   #2201
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Oh right I see, so whatever the connection method (3G or Wifi) as long as two people have an iphone they will get an imessage.

Cool. Thanks.
As long as both phones are set up for it. It's the same sort of thing as Blackberry messenger. And I don't think you get charged for imessages
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 21:17   #2202
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yup, no charge (other than whatever data you use).
Old 19-10-2012, 21:26   #2203
Halcyon
Hello !

Cool. Thanks for that info.

Old 25-10-2012, 11:39   #2204
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Does anyone know of a good mediaplayer for the iPhone 5? I used to use GoodPlayer, but it seems the author has had to drop AC3 support. I also need support for various video and sound formats including MKV.

HD and Airplay support would be a bonus.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 19:28   #2205
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I got an iPhone 5 on Sunday. 64GB Black. 16GB just wasn't enough anymore, due to iTunes Match increasing the size of my music library and due to apps getting bigger and bigger.

Ditched O2 and moved to Three. Far better upfront prices than the other networks, and unlimited data. Although I never went near my data allowance with O2, that was because I *had* a data allowance and so was always wary of using 3G too much. Now, though, I can enable Mobile Data for iTunes Match and Auto Downloads and Facetime, and also use 3G to download apps and stream video and so on, all without worrying about getting stung with excess charges.

Impressed with it so far. Not a radically different design, but still looks good and it's very fast. Now I have the space, I can re-download all the stuff I had to delete from my previous iPhone to make room for iTunes Match, and will still have plenty spare for more apps and videos.

Still trying to find the perfect case, though. I got a cheapo Terrapin thing from Amazon, but it was so rigid I dared not even try to fit it, in case it scratched the scratch-prone anodised aluminium it's meant to protect. Currently using a hard shell from Proporta. Simple thing that just covers the sides and back. No lip on the front to provide "face down" protection, but there's no way I'd ever lay my iPhone face down anyway. Got a cheap neoprene sock thing ("Shocksock") on the way, to protect it in my pocket and while travelling (past iPhones have had quite dusty and dirty ports and speakers from frequent pocket placement), although I'm tempted to get a wool felt sleeve from Laptoptailors.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Does anyone know of a good mediaplayer for the iPhone 5? I used to use GoodPlayer, but it seems the author has had to drop AC3 support. I also need support for various video and sound formats including MKV.

HD and Airplay support would be a bonus.
Others have also dropped AC3 support. Apparently a patent issue, from the comments.

I use AVPlayer (iPhone) and AVPlayerHD (iPad). Brilliant apps, but... they no longer exist

Two alternatives I've found are CineXPlayer (iPhone) / CineXPlayerHD (iPad) and OPlayer (iPhone) / OPlayerHD (iPad).

Never used them, though, so can't vouch for what they are like.