Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 08-12-2016, 19:50   #2161
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Would a HDMI splitter work?
To do what? It wouldn't do both tasks of duplicating and converting. One output could go to a TV and the other could go to distribution setup of whatever sort.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2016, 19:52   #2162
Rob
Inactive

Rob is an unknown quantity at this point

To go to 2 TVs , would both be able to view same thing.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:53   #2163
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
To go to 2 TVs , would both be able to view same thing.
Yes.
Old 08-12-2016, 20:10   #2164
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
"TiVo features: Record three shows and watch a fourth"
I'm still amazed that people can find that many programs worth watching!!

meanwhile I'm spinning Jack The Lad on the turntable ... lovely ..
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 21:11   #2165
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
I'm still amazed that people can find that many programs worth watching!!

meanwhile I'm spinning Jack The Lad on the turntable ... lovely ..
A household can have a lot of varied tastes and at certain times extra tuners are definitely needed as there are clashes sadly.
Old 08-12-2016, 21:34   #2166
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Interesting to know that it is not done locally on the box as it was originally, before VM messed around with them. Thanks. They always used to be clever and useful the way Tivo designed it but after it stopped working altogether when VM "made it better" it was never the same again and I like many others then switched them off for good. Shame! I guess there could be financial advantages in being able to control which programs get suggested!!?

Still think it won't be long before targeted adverts start appearing on the menu and pause screens though. Never mind, I'm sure some people will enjoy them. The US still have the option to opt out I understand.
Not sure what you mean, Virgin Media haven't changed the way the TiVo system collects data. TiVo US do exactly the same thing. Aggregated data on Thumbs and viewing is what drives the Suggestions engine and other personlisation options for TiVo

http://tivo.pactsafe.io/legal.html#privacy-policy

Quote:
Information we automatically collect may include, for example, data about your viewing behavior (such as how you use, watch, record, rate and interact with content accessed on or through TiVo products), device (such as model number, software versions, and unique device identifiers), location (such as GPS data, zip code, and time zone), and cable service (such as cable provider and cable channels).

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
What a useless bit of kit then. Forcing people to add yet another box to get TV circulated around the home. -10000 points.
I seem to recall similar comments when the RF out connection was removed on both Virgin and Sky STBs. Yet I doubt anyone would expect a box released in 2016 to have RF on it.

Last edited by BenMcr; 08-12-2016 at 21:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 21:44   #2167
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

So how can we archieve material on v6

Last edited by Ddonald2016; 08-12-2016 at 21:57.
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:05   #2168
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
So how can we archieve material on v6
We're not allowed to say.

A Freeview recorder should be able to archive material in SD quality.
Old 08-12-2016, 22:38   #2169
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think people need to get out more!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 23:34   #2170
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
But a V8 sounds better
Especially when you slap a supercharger on and force feed it 1.5 gallons of Nitro per second

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Quote:
You would have thought they would have updated the terms and conditions.

"TiVo features: Record three shows and watch a fourth"

Here come the targeted adverts we have been hearing about:

"Information about your TiVo use: By having the and/or using the TiVo service you give us your consent to use your viewing information to personalise your TiVo experience (in addition to the other purposes set out in our privacy policy). We may share this information with third parties..."

P.S. No ideas what "By having the and/or using" means.
If you go and have a look through some of the info pages you will see a line which says

Opted in = True

This means everything you do on the box is reported back to them.

On the real Tivo (old original silver box) you could set this to FALSE.

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Quote:
Hi everyone first post here. I got the new V6 box installed today and the speed is great compared to the old tivo box.

Just one problem, in the old Tivo box I used HDMI port to main tv and Scart (21 pin?) cable to Kitchen tv. In the V6 box there is no 21 pin scart and not sure what the scart output (9 pin) thing is. Since there is only 1 hdmi port , anyone have a idea to what I can do, use a scart coverter or something?
You might want to send it back as you are out of luck my son, the scart is disabled.

Progress is always forwards you know

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
[snip]

Those terms have been in since TiVo first launched on VM. TiVo's suggestions and Thumbs wouldn't work without the consent.
Unless they've completely rewritten the underlying code base from the original that simply isn't true, on the old real Tivo suggestions worked perfectly with Opted in switched off.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Don't be melodramatic, scart is very old tech and has no place in today's world. It has to be phased out sometime.
You speak for yourself.

I have a VHS player with a built in DVD burner, that's SCART.

How do you plan to archive shows off your latest shiny-shiny..oh yes, you CAN'T

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Quote:
OK so does that mean copying recordings is now not allowed
The law specifically allows it (for personal use only blah blah) but VM (and Sky also?) have seen fit to block your legal rights.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Doesn't Macrovison copy protection prevent that anyway?
Can't stop you putting it onto VHS, take it out of the machine and hand it so someone else

Or even transfer to a DVD recorder...see, some of us have abandoned old fashioned tape...
Old 09-12-2016, 00:19   #2171
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Unless they've completely rewritten the underlying code base from the original that simply isn't true, on the old real Tivo suggestions worked perfectly with Opted in switched off.
Which they did:

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...ls-and-Privacy

Quote:
If you have a TiVo Series2 or Series3 DVR and opt out, we will not collect your viewing logs.

If you have a TiVo Series4 or newer TiVo product (e.g. TiVo Mini, TiVo Roamio or TiVo BOLT) and choose "Do not share" as your privacy status, we will still collect your viewing logs, but will use them only to provide you with features of the TiVo service as described in this policy (for example, to suggest a particular TV show that you may enjoy).
The VM term covers the collection of the logs for the TiVo features, and sharing of that data in aggregated form. As the term does then say:

Quote:
This will not personally identify you. This aggregated data may be used by those third parties for marketing purposes.
It's just that there isn't a specific opt out of the aggregated data when you have V6 or TiVo with Virgin Media - but again that's been true from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
The law specifically allows it (for personal use only blah blah) but VM (and Sky also?) have seen fit to block your legal rights.
The law specifically allows a copy for time-shifting purposes NOT for archiving.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

Quote:
Time-shifting
A recording of a broadcast can be made in domestic premises for private and domestic use to enable it to be viewed or listened to at a more convenient time.

The making of a recording of a broadcast for purposes other than to time-shift a programme for you or your family is likely to be illegal.
By having a Virgin Media PVR (or any other PVR) you're already time-shifting. There is no legal right to make a further copy.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-12-2016 at 00:28.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:48   #2172
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We're not allowed to say.

A Freeview recorder should be able to archive material in SD quality.
Yeah but with v6 there is no scart
Old 09-12-2016, 02:09   #2173
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The law specifically allows a copy for time-shifting purposes NOT for archiving.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright
Archiving is just extended time-shifting

I agree you can't give a copy to someone else.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:49   #2174
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yeah but with v6 there is no scart
Freeview recorders don't always record from external sources anyway. They do allow you to record/archive the Freeview channels.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:08   #2175
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
Freeview recorders don't always record from external sources anyway. They do allow you to record/archive the Freeview channels.
Hi no Mine does record from TiVo or did