Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 17:13   #2116
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
OK, I just got off the phone with Catie MacDonald from the ICO press office and the findings are frankly shocking.

Apparently ICO are -not- investigating Phorm at all, they are reviewing documents they asked Phorm to send them but it was reiterated over and over again that there is definitely no official investigation by ICO with regards to Phorm.

Furthermore, there is no investigation with regards the BT secret trials of 2006 and 2007 in any capacity whatsoever.

I asked why ICO are not investigating the BT and it was just reiterated that the only thing regarding the Phorm technology that ICO are doing is reviewing documents requested from Phorm.

I just had a call back from ICO and was told that RIPA is nothing to do with ICO and falls under the umbrella of the Home Office.

This is shocking news given the reports in the press over the past month claiming ICO are investigating. They were not very happy to talk to me at ICO either and stated I was not permitted to quote them and would not even give me a name until I first gave them my name, address and phone number. This was despite me explaining that I am a student at University studying privacy issues as part of my Sociology major (which I can prove with half a dozen academic papers I have written over the past 15 months on privacy issues).

Alexander Hanff
Alexander, it sounds like you need to pass this info on to chris at Elreg, and even charles if you must, they are far better placed to get the official quotes you have been talking about.

perhaps even the BBC and C4 might be useful in this, but chris is the first port of call as he's done so much in all this already. send him an email, he will know you with your crime No. and injunction text im sure, if he's not already read your post here .
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 18:29   #2117
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

Has anyone contacted the Shadow Home Secretary, David Davis yet? This sounds like a good avenue to explore. I'm not very good with letters and stuff (although I have written a few), but would be happy to support Alexander/Popper/CaptJamie in any letters they write.

I must thank many people, especially Alexander/Popper/CaptJamie for the time they have spend, both here and elsewhere on the web in support of our cause. Your continued and tireless campaigning is VERY much appreciated.

Ali ((huggsss))
Old 03-04-2008, 18:42   #2118
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxminx View Post
Has anyone contacted the Shadow Home Secretary, David Davis yet? This sounds like a good avenue to explore. I'm not very good with letters and stuff (although I have written a few), but would be happy to support Alexander/Popper/CaptJamie in any letters they write.

I must thank many people, especially Alexander/Popper/CaptJamie for the time they have spend, both here and elsewhere on the web in support of our cause. Your continued and tireless campaigning is VERY much appreciated.

Ali ((huggsss))
You're making me go all shy now...

Which is generally perceived as the best way to get in touch with an MP or MEP? Being a bit old fashioned I tend to go for letters but things move so quickly now it seems e-mail is the better way to go. Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2008, 18:44   #2119
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
Which is generally perceived as the best way to get in touch with an MP or MEP? Being a bit old fashioned I tend to go for letters but things move so quickly now it seems e-mail is the better way to go. Any thoughts?
I've found http://www.writetothem.com/ works quite well...
Old 03-04-2008, 18:48   #2120
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

IPM on radeo 4 have PHORM in the posible line up for Saterdays show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/2008/...il_5th_1.shtml

the more people who contact them on this the better chance of it being included so please get contacting

thanks

col
Old 03-04-2008, 18:49   #2121
Mesmer
Inactive

Mesmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxminx View Post

<SNIP>

Ali ((huggsss))
I would like to add my thanks and gratitude too.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:00   #2122
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
ditto... big
Old 03-04-2008, 19:02   #2123
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
Same here.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:03   #2124
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Channel 4 news have just indicated at the start of the programme that they will be discussing BT during the programme.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:30   #2125
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

I've been wondering for ages why this situation seemed so familiar - and last night at work I finally remembered.

Did anyone else here ever watch the Max Headroom series? The last episode shown involved a Japanese corporation, Zik Zak, taking over Network 23 in order to gear its output to what they wanted. An exchange between one of their execs and the head of 23 says it all:

"This [i.e. floods of advertising] is what you have failed to deliver! This is what the people want."

"How the hell do you know what people want?! We've been at this for years, and we still don't know!"

Zik Zak's arrogance in claiming to know what consumers want sounds to me exactly like Phorm's attitude re Webwise. In many ways that show was way ahead of its time.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:37   #2126
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

C4 (VM 104) is broadcasting the Phorm story right now, i dont have my DVB-T card pluged in so i cant capture it for you, sorry.

perhaps they may put the clip up at some point...later
Old 03-04-2008, 19:51   #2127
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

I've just watched the 2 clips from BBC Breakfast this morning - one was a "package" piece, and was embarrassingly simplistic, factually incorrect and pro-Phorm.
However, the other, an interview on the couch with the hapless woman from BT, was rather better: the female interviewer did not let her spout BT platitudes, and used the kind of language that we here has been using: she repeatedly accused BT of "spying on their customers" and pointed out that BT's customers would not be happy if they found out about this.
She (the interviewer) seemed genuinely irate that the country's national carrier could get away with doing this, so let's hope the BBC put out more items like that in the future.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:51   #2128
popper
Inactive

ohh the US credit crunch might over shadow the ISP/Phorm story...., OC perhaps thats the reason why Phorm came here first, to bank the UK cash to help them in their Upkeep of their slumping homes prices in the US
Old 03-04-2008, 19:58   #2129
fatassmichael
Inactive

Services: Vip 50 with Tivo
fatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nice

Channel 4 "News at Noon" Link http://www.channel4.com/news/article...tomers/1933047
Old 03-04-2008, 19:58   #2130
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
I've just watched the 2 clips from BBC Breakfast this morning...
The one from C4 earlier today is worth a look if you've not seen it...

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...tomers/1933047
Closed Thread