Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 07-12-2016, 22:46   #2071
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
anybody else received a funny email from virgin media?

"its your lucky day"

Hello.....

Contratulations! you've been specifically chosen to receive our new virgin tv v6 box, powered by TiVo.

Specifically chosen??

I had to phone up and order it!
Yep, I got that email today and had already ordered my V6 yesterday! Interesting how at the end it also says...

"We’ll pop round to install your new box on the day and time we agreed. For now, it’s time to get the popcorn in! TV is about to get awesome."

Oh, so you know I called up and have made arrangements?! So not really "specially chosen" afterall...

-A.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2016, 23:51   #2072
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently have Full House TV Package/Vivid 200 (Non-Gamer)/Sky Sports & Movies (Non-HD) - 500GB TIVO Box & V+ Box

Currently paying around - £127.88
Might need to consider a call customer services to try and work-out a better deal now that the new TIVO box has landed!

Especially considering what other people have been offered.
(although my package is broke down into different add-ons.)
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 00:56   #2073
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

OK haven't been following this too closely, but can someone tell me what the benefits are of getting the new V6 box? Thx
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:46   #2074
Barriescott
cf.member

Barriescott is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay £127 for VIP package sports and movies HD with gamer 200 vivid with 2 TiVos , I managed to get 2V6 boxes for £64.94
Barriescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:02   #2075
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
OK haven't been following this too closely, but can someone tell me what the benefits are of getting the new V6 box? Thx
At the moment it's basically just a faster tivo. It will also let you watch Netflix in 4K in the unlikely event you have a 4K TV but no method of watching it already. It's more a box for future content than for anything right now, hence why i'm not rushing out to pay £99+£15 to get one.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:34   #2076
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriescott View Post
I pay £127 for VIP package sports and movies HD with gamer 200 vivid with 2 TiVos , I managed to get 2V6 boxes for £64.94
Reading that your price is worrying. Look retentions have a 25 percent offer available and also £9 off sky sports and movies I pay £97 for same package

---------- Post added at 07:34 ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
At the moment it's basically just a faster tivo. It will also let you watch Netflix in 4K in the unlikely event you have a 4K TV but no method of watching it already. It's more a box for future content than for anything right now, hence why i'm not rushing out to pay £99+£15 to get one.
You have hit the nail right on the head
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:45   #2077
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's rather more than that, Kabaal. It is more on the par with Sky Q except that the V6 has 6 tuners (as opposed to Q's 4), and Q has a split screen (which V6 doesn't).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/13...a-sky-q-beater
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:04   #2078
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's rather more than that, Kabaal. It is more on the par with Sky Q except that the V6 has 6 tuners (as opposed to Q's 4), and Q has a split screen (which V6 doesn't).

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/13...a-sky-q-beater
Q has a lot more than 4 tuners.

The Silver 2TB box has 12 total. 4 for actual recordings and the rest for streaming to the mini boxes and streaming to tablets.

For me V6 really isn't close to Q. There are some apps that load at the right side to give you news/sports/weather info currently, the menus are just slicker and look better IMO.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:19   #2079
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

The Silver 2TB box has 12 total. 4 for actual recordings and the rest for streaming to the mini boxes and streaming to tablets.

For me V6 really isn't close to Q. There are some apps that load at the right side to give you news/sports/weather info currently, the menus are just slicker and look better IMO.

Stephen, for some Sky Q will be better for their needs, for others the V6 will be better for their needs. It's a personal preference choice, not a competition. I wish some posters would stop making it a competition. Both systems seem good to me.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:33   #2080
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

For me it is the fact it is faster and that it allows you to share recordings between rooms. Also handy that the second box will allow Netflix on our non-smart TV. For me with those points in mind, it was a no brainer to pay the £114. For others it will not be worth it and some might want to switch to Sky, all just a matter of opinion
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:44   #2081
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Yes, but you are speaking as a Sky subscriber, and therefore you have the service of your choice.

The Q has 4 tuners dedicated to recordings - the V6 has 6. That's the point I was making. The V6 doesn't need additional tuners for streaming as the Q does.

I'm not saying the V6 is better than the Sky Q, just that it is pretty well on the par. That's also what the link says. The fact that you prefer Q is fine, Stephen. But for me, the V6 meets my needs better. For me, the number of recordings I can do at any one time is more important than split screens, etc.

An agreed disadvantage of the V6 is that it's only 1TB compared with the Q's 2TB. However, I have overcome that by simply changing my V HD box for a V6, so I can record the number of programmes needed.

Of course, Sky has an advantage on content because of its exclusivity restrictions on other platforms. However, UHD was not available at launch on the Q either. It would be appropriate to give it a few months before commenting further on content.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:51   #2082
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Stephen, for some Sky Q will be better for their needs, for others the V6 will be better for their needs. It's a personal preference choice, not a competition. I wish some posters would stop making it a competition. Both systems seem good to me.
I am not making it a competition. I had TiVo for many many years, I was part of the staff Alpha/Beta trials a year before it actually got released and in September cancelled and Got Q.

I am speaking as someone who loved TiVo for a long time but now using Q it is just so much easier to use and so much better.

The WiFi mesh network thing has also been a fantastic addition and something VM and TiVo just can't offer.

4 tuners for recordings is also more than enough. Not once have I found I have run out of tuners, mainly because any catch up or On Demand content such as movies will download to the box so that I can watch anytime I want so do not really need to record them, but they are treated like recordings due to being stored on the box.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:15   #2083
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

In my opinion they both look decent offerings , we could pick pluses and minuses to each system all day.

At the end of the day both boxes will offer 6 recordings (Sky Q 2TB) which most people will struggle to need everyday what's not to like.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:31   #2084
MisterQ

Quote:
Agreed, same old Tivo version with the same old bugs. In a cut down box without scart and no other alternative for multi-room viewing without getting a second one and having to connect with both coax AND ethernet. Can't see the point in having a 2nd Tivo sitting there doing nothing all day long but making a noise in the bedroom and wasting electricity or managing recording schedules over two devices and with twice as many devices to go wrong. I see there are complaints about lower volume too, on some channels with Dolby digital. I already have to have my amplifier on MAX to enjoy the sound on certain channels and that's with hundreds of watts of audio that is on less than a quarter on other sources. (Mind you, the lip-sync issues, which got worse for me in the latest update, make HD useless on the old box, for me)

And they want you to pay for it too, despite retention's promising me one for nothing when they convinced me to change my mind about leaving, last time. I just hope there is the usual February price rise, so I can leave at the earliest opportunity.

The standard of service from VM as far as I am concerned has just gone down and down over the past 5 years with all the bugs (slowness, dolby, lip-sync etc) and all the constant local faults. I wonder if there are actually any managers running the show anymore. It seems the staff can get away with telling you anything without comeback and telling you they have logged complaints that go nowhere. It's clearly not for me!!

The picture quality for me too has dropped recently, many channels now just look very blurry and washed out. There is no pixellation (other than the normal compression affects) so it cannot be a signal problem, yet from other sources ,I do not get this problem. Certainly no point getting an even bigger tv to watch on Virgin Media, in my opinion, if most of the channels already look so bad.

Game-changer? Yes, end of the road, switch to Sky,

Last edited by MisterQ; 08-12-2016 at 10:45.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:33   #2085
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In my opinion they both look decent offerings , we could pick pluses and minuses to each system all day.

At the end of the day both boxes will offer 6 recordings (Sky Q 2TB) which most people will struggle to need everyday what's not to like.
Spoken like the wise old sage you are MM as some like Sky's offering and some like Virgin's offering as nothing is perfect whichever one buys.