Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : Season 6

Old 31-05-2011, 19:51   #181
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I need to watch the end of that episode again, there was a leap or two that didn't compute
Such as?
Quote:
I watched it again, I assume it'll be explained in a future episode.
What will?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What was the point of the redesign then?
Dunno. Guess he had to use them at least once. It was Matt's first series after all
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2011, 19:55   #182
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Dunno. Guess he had to use them at least once. It was Matt's first series after all
Another example of the change everything to do with the RTD years
Old 31-05-2011, 20:15   #183
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Such as?
How the Dr knew Amy was a facsimile

Quote:
What will?
please see above

I can see that you're one of those really annoying people. I may have to use my ignore button
Old 31-05-2011, 20:26   #184
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Because he already knew of 'The Flesh' and what it was. The reason he went there is to find out whether you could mistake one for Human.

Which is why he allowed The Flesh to copy him in the first place and then swapped with 'The Flesh Doctor', to see if Amy would treat the The Flesh version the same as him if she though it was him - as they had been doing with Amy
Old 31-05-2011, 21:06   #185
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because he already knew of 'The Flesh' and what it was. The reason he went there is to find out whether you could mistake one for Human.

Which is why he allowed The Flesh to copy him in the first place and then swapped with 'The Flesh Doctor', to see if Amy would treat the The Flesh version the same as him if she though it was him - as they had been doing with Amy
But that still doesn't explain how he knew.

I like to think I'm not particularly slow, in fact I take pride in being able follow complicated plot lines.

I even understood Donnie Darko.

I don't think the end of that episode was sufficiently easy to follow, for me anyway. But what do I know, I still thought Rory was an Auton.

For me, there's not enough craft in the story telling at the moment.
Old 31-05-2011, 22:08   #186
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Well yeah. That's one thing. I thought there were more
Old 31-05-2011, 22:51   #187
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
But that still doesn't explain how he knew.
Can agree with that. Would have been better to have the last two episodes right after the season opening, and then the end of the episode triggered by something else.

Would have tracked a bit better. We know the Doctor knows about The Flesh and that he knows something is wrong with Amy etc
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58   #188
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Should we read into Rory backing away from Amy at the Doctor's Insistence? It seemed quite odd, you would have expected him to offer more resistance. Does it mean he trusts the Doctor without question or was it simply a narrative convenience?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15   #189
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Simply the Doctor is a genius and knew straight after running the scan on Amy that something wasn't right

As he knew about the Flesh he wanted to go check it out. That's why he planned on dropping Amy and Rory off so he could go investigate.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:39   #190
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Simply the Doctor is a genius and knew straight after running the scan on Amy that something wasn't right
Which would be why they made a point of showing the pregnancy scan being inconclusive in several episodes..

Quote:
As he knew about the Flesh he wanted to go check it out. That's why he planned on dropping Amy and Rory off so he could go investigate.
Indeed.. The team (under Steven Moffat) seem to be very good at introducing little, apparently insignificant, details into stories that only become significant when you've seen later episodes.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:18   #191
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They aren't really going to be gone for that long.

Moffat tweeted yesterday and responded simply by saying they are taking a rest for this series. Yet again the press have totally exagerated the story and made it bigger than it needed to be.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22   #192
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Indeed.. The team (under Steven Moffat) seem to be very good at introducing little, apparently insignificant, details into stories that only become significant when you've seen later episodes.
There's subtlety and there's subtlety.

I'm all for putting in clues and nuggets of information throughout a story arc, bad wolf and all that.

And fair enough for having a go, I just think it was done poorly.

IMO, it was either written badly or delivered badly.

For things such as this the big reveal should come at the end with a:

"I knew there was something going on, so that's it" - moment for the viewer.

Not - "WTF just happened there, I don't get it" Then have to watch the scene several times again to get a part understanding.

The story shouldn't have to rely on
Quote:
Simply the Doctor is a genius
and for the viewer to faithfully just accept whatever happens.

Obviously Amy has been gone for at least 7-8 months.

Who's taken her, where has she gone, for what purpose.

I know that will all no doubt be explained, but there should have been an incident that has happened in a previous episode that facilitated her abduction, and that at the moment the doctor revealed this Amy to be a copy, the audience could go " I bet she was taken in that episode when..........."

They should even have thrown a curve so you thought you knew when she had been taken but it turned out to be some other time.

If you follow me.

The end of that last episode just seemed rushed and just didn't do it for me.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25   #193
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Moffat tweeted yesterday and responded simply by saying they are taking a rest for this series. Yet again the press have totally exagerated the story and made it bigger than it needed to be.
Now there's a shock; not
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25   #194
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

She was taken at the start of the series by the silents. It was fairly obvious really. It was not too subtle at all.

As soon as Amy told the doc she was pregnant then later in the episode said she wasn't, that is when he ran the scan and knew something was not right with her.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26   #195
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

I should have spotted that