Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III
Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2010, 03:59   #1681
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
They now share the same headend, but there are still a few channel differences, although they are working to change that.
I hope the equalisation process is not implemented by simply taking away channels that are not on both platforms. Perhaps PCNE had a very small customer base on cable, possibly because the target audience are all satellite system owners, but I would like to see the remaining single platform channels available on both rather than taken away altogether.

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I guess instead of bitching about NEW channels getting lauched why dont you both create a thread called BITCHING ABOUT VM - I'm sure you will get loads of followers - NOT.

I'M GETTING FED UP WITH PEOPLE BITCHING AND MOANING ABOUT GOOD THINGS VM ARE DOING.

WHAT DO YOU WANT - GO BACK A YEAR AND HAVE HARDLY ANY HD CHANNELS.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

No doubt I'll get a few RED Reps - dont really care, getting fed up with all the crap
Agreed. The unnecessary and repetitive complaining about what's not coming soon enough to Virgin TV is really not enhancing my enjoyment of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Nor is all of this clap crap!

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
every forum member is entitled to a view, l am anti sky and always will be but l am only having a constructive view about Virgin and lots of other viewers share the same view, we live in a democracy where everybody is entitled to a opinion even if some people do not like that if tv viewers do not get onto virgin they won,t do anything, of course things are better then a year ago but l believe they can still improve their tv platform a lot more.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if it doesn't add to the informative content of the 'Coming Soon to Virgin TV' thread then it probably belongs on the individual's personal blog rather than here.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi View Post
New hardware is what's needed, as the current V+ boxes are like relics from the 1980s. I bought a Sony Bravia HDTV recently, nothing high end, just a tiny 32" unit for a bedroom wall, and it's interface makes Virgin's effort look embarrassingly bad.

It's all in 1080p widescreen, very graphical with plenty of thumbnails ranging from small to huge, it has hooks into all sorts of online streaming platforms, such as iPlayer, 5 On Demand, LoveFilm, and a lot of others. DLNA support too so you can stream videos, music, photos etc from a PC or Mac. All delivered with what is surely a totally throwaway low end chipset hidden away in a tiny TV.

Using Virgin's EPG truly reminds me of the BBC Micro days back in the 1980s. It's that clunky. Hopefully TIVO will bring vastly more powerful hardware along with a proper graphics driven, and hopefully very snappy, interface. I would hope the hardware will be much, much smaller too. There's nothing in that box that should make it any larger than a last gen Apple TV.
Your tiny 32" Bravia sounds really great. I must look into it and compare it with my in-laws' slightly older Bravia.

My parents went digital on UPC Chorus NTL cable in Ireland last year and got a box which is of similar size to my current Pace non-PVR, non-HD Di4000-N V Box albeit with a fancier soft scrolling blue plasma dot matrix front panel display instead of the very basic green LED segmented one. I think theirs is made by Thomson.

A year later my brother has gone digital and the basic box is like a very small Freeview box (smaller than a half pound box of chocolates) and even his PVR box is smaller than my parents' and probably only as big as it is to accommodate the HDD and ventilation.

Technology is moving on quickly and kit is getting smaller yet more functional.

---------- Post added at 03:33 ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Video Players and Recorders were bought because there was nothing else. It was the only way you could record TV.

Because then you could just as easily upload it to the internet at that quality, which the broadcasters would not appreciate at all

Also UK Copyright only allows a recording to be used for Timeshifting purposes. It's likely not actually legal to archive TV indefinately (you are supposed to buy the official copies)

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-o...-timeshift.htm

The making of a recording for purposes other than to time-shift a programme for your or your family is likely to be illegal.

However this is straying a bit off the topic of the thread!
IIRC, back in the early days of BetaMax, Video 2000 and VHS video cassette recorders, the UK law allowed you to retain a recorded programme for 48 hours and then it had to be erased. It wasn't really enforced (enforcible) though.

Nowadays, facilities such as BBC iPlayer, allow download within 30 days of broadcast and playback within 7 days of that, then it automatically expires. There doesn't appear to be any enforced expiry on HDD copies of programmes or films on PVR boxes and, AFAIK, some can transfer to DVD.

Not sure that the 'fear of posting it to YouTube or BitTorrent file-sharing' argument holds up.

---------- Post added at 03:59 ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAy View Post
Slightly off topic, but sort of related to Coming Soon. What User Acceptance Testing do new EPGs or new boxes, new services go through? I assume they do get a bit of a testing before going fully live?

The must be some sort of pre-release programme of testing - how do you get selected for such a thing?

There's a lot of people on here with strong opinions (may be too strong for VM to manage in the mainstream) but they would sure give the new "thing" a thorough shake down before mass release and probably give VM some clear views on what to include in the n+1 version of this "thing" too.
The search facility in Guide -> Catch Up TV On Demand -> Search has been trickled out and, in my opinion, is still a very unfinished product with its non-standard interface and quirky behaviour. Although doing it this way has the potential to spark user comment and constructive criticism, there does not appear to be an official feedback mechanism for this.

This has been Félim's big catch-up posting. I hope you enjoyed it!
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2010, 10:21   #1682
ChrisLUFC22
Inactive

Services: Sky Q
ChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to all
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster72 View Post
Is it all the movie channels including Sky prem ?
Yes if I remember correctly can't find any link sorry, but I believe if you have the HD box they're included aswell.
Old 25-09-2010, 11:22   #1683
Big Red
Inactive

Services: VIP50
Big Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLUFC22 View Post
Yes if I remember correctly can't find any link sorry, but I believe if you have the HD box they're included aswell.
Yes and its started to do my head in, I have lost count the number of times the Sky presenters keep stating its a free weekend.

Sky must be struggling with Subs numbers - maybe they should of thought twice on increasing the Sky Sports package.

I'm waiting for VM next Qtr results to see if it shows numbers of Prem HD subscribers - should be intresting reading.
Old 25-09-2010, 12:44   #1684
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yes and its started to do my head in, I have lost count the number of times the Sky presenters keep stating its a free weekend.

Sky must be struggling with Subs numbers - maybe they should of thought twice on increasing the Sky Sports package.

I'm waiting for VM next Qtr results to see if it shows numbers of Prem HD subscribers - should be intresting reading.
The problem there is that a number of people will have gone to VIP50 to get them free on one box at least, so if they do give figure of people taking Sky Prem HD channels, it will not really show who is actually paying for them.
Old 25-09-2010, 14:01   #1685
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Lets be clear l am not one of these moaners if we all had the same opinion life would be boring as l stated before l am anti-sky and pro virgin.
Old 25-09-2010, 14:23   #1686
welshman
Inactive

welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
No the add was for series 1, it will most likely be shown on another channel. Although Channel One will not shut till Dec if what I have read is right so they still have time to cram it in.
Actually it is for the new series. After reading this message I kept a note of which series it was talking about and it was definitely series 2. So I don't know what's going to happen with it. The first series showed about 4 episodes in the Autumn and then had a long hiatus through to about February, I think. Maybe the same with this one, the first few episodes on soon and after a hiatus, or Christmas, it comes back on another channel.

I think it will be a case of watch this space.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

Quote:

I always wonder how many of Sky's subscribers have the Sports package. Most people think the price is too high although I get the impression, after the Ofcom review, that Sky think it is too low. It is simple economics, if they drop the prices they would get more people interested and probably make more money overall.
Old 25-09-2010, 14:55   #1687
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I agree I personally think Skys premium subscribers have took a nosedive as people cut back where they can , problem with losing people is they get were they don't always add the channels back especially after constant price hikes. I believe Skys premium channels are now reaching a pricepoint were people feel there's no value for money.
Old 25-09-2010, 17:21   #1688
Big Red
Inactive

Services: VIP50
Big Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful oneBig Red is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman View Post
Actually it is for the new series. After reading this message I kept a note of which series it was talking about and it was definitely series 2. So I don't know what's going to happen with it. The first series showed about 4 episodes in the Autumn and then had a long hiatus through to about February, I think. Maybe the same with this one, the first few episodes on soon and after a hiatus, or Christmas, it comes back on another channel.

I think it will be a case of watch this space.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

I always wonder how many of Sky's subscribers have the Sports package. Most people think the price is too high although I get the impression, after the Ofcom review, that Sky think it is too low. It is simple economics, if they drop the prices they would get more people interested and probably make more money overall.
VM should be able to tell as a VIP50 customer I get charged the £7 HD charge but then get this refunded via the bundle discount.

I have never seen a discount under the Premium TV channels (Provided by Virgin Media Entertainment) section as I dont think VM can offer discounts in this section as we all know the bulk of the £29.50 & £7 charge goes to Sky.

I guess it would be nice to understand is if VM are charged a one off carriage fee for the HD Prem Channels or if Sky receive based on Prem HD subs.

I'm guessing its a carriage fee with the £7 going to VM to cover this carriage fee.
i.e. if £100m for 5 years, thats £20m per year this means it would need 238,095 people subs each year paying £7 per month/£84 per year.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:
Just need ESPN America HD to launch on the 4th Oct
My insider understanding is ESPN America HD lauch delay is down to that VM still in negotiations which will include ESPNA HD, On Demand Content and New Channel/s "ESPN2"

Although its a delay, I think VM are doing it the right way, making sure the deal is signed to include current and future channel launches.

Will post more as soon as I get any more info.
Old 25-09-2010, 17:58   #1689
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

[/QUOTE]

My insider understanding is ESPN America HD lauch delay is down to that VM still in negotiations which will include ESPNA HD, On Demand Content and New Channel/s "ESPN2"

Although its a delay, I think VM are doing it the right way, making sure the deal is signed to include current and future channel launches.

Will post more as soon as I get any more info.[/QUOTE]

I would rather wait and get everything tied up so that if/when ESPN2 is launched we will get it when it launches. On demand will be very useful if you do not want to stay up for MNF or the late games on HNIC or MLB.
Thanks Big Red.
Old 25-09-2010, 21:08   #1690
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I guess it would be nice to understand is if VM are charged a one off carriage fee for the HD Prem Channels or if Sky receive based on Prem HD subs.
For the SD channels Sky charge Virgin per subscriber. So Virgin have to tell Sky exactly how many customers have the Premium channels.

For the HD, I believe Sky charge Virgin per box, so Virgin in turn charge customers per box
Old 25-09-2010, 21:16   #1691
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman View Post
Are you confusing new series to mean a new season or new series to Channel One? Seeing as the new Season 2 does not start until November in the US and V is kicking of on Oct 7th on Channel One it will be the the first series that they are screening.

Also the with last seasons V it was shown in the US with four epsiodes and then had the break, in the UK it was shown all in one go in Sci Fi.
Old 26-09-2010, 06:44   #1692
nashmills
Inactive

Services: 500GB TiVo (TV M), BB 100Mb, Phone M
nashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about them

Does this story mean that VM's Tivo box will delayed or are they just getting the software?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/25/t...tv-hd-unit-to/
Old 26-09-2010, 07:00   #1693
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

That has nothing to do with Virgin, the Virgin box is a Cisco box. The Engadget story is about delays to the Direct TV Tivo box a saga that has been going on for years.
Old 26-09-2010, 11:01   #1694
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Do you have TV box that looks like any of the ones here? http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/you...card-slot.html
Old 26-09-2010, 15:49   #1695
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
VM should be able to tell as a VIP50 customer I get charged the £7 HD charge but then get this refunded via the bundle discount.

I have never seen a discount under the Premium TV channels (Provided by Virgin Media Entertainment) section as I dont think VM can offer discounts in this section as we all know the bulk of the £29.50 & £7 charge goes to Sky.

I'm guessing its a carriage fee with the £7 going to VM to cover this carriage fee.
i.e. if £100m for 5 years, thats £20m per year this means it would need 238,095 people subs each year paying £7 per month/£84 per year.

Will post more as soon as I get any more info.
Is the 4th October date still on the cards ?
Closed Thread