Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 20-01-2013, 13:52   #1681
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

S3 is a nice phone..heard good things about it.

I have galaxy nexus, and soon to have nexus 4, mainly as I like the vanilla version of android.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2013, 13:58   #1682
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Also Samsung Galaxy S3 works with Sky Go
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:44   #1683
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I however do miss the search and wishlist functions of TiVo.

SKY broadband has been the big surprise so far. My download speed as of today is now 14.5 mb. Yes it's slower than my 100mb connect with Virgin however I am beginning to learn speed isn't everything. It's great to have a connection that isn't managed in anyway. I know what speed I'm going to get 24/7 regardless of what I'm downloading, when I'm downloading and regardless how much I'm downloading. It puts me in mind of when I had Virgins truely unlimited and unshaped 20mb connection about 4 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky never miss is also a useful feature if you check your email daily , likewise the Green remind me button what appears on certain promos for shows allows you to press Green and select a reminder or setup a series link for that particular show.
I know that I keep banging the Nevermiss drum but it really is massively under rated & the best way to discover new content months in advance! It also has a list of the most popular shows on the service so that you can easily find shows that others are enjoying!

Nevermiss is Sky's equivalent of TiVo's search & wish list functionality. Sky themselves just don't seem to realise it's importance!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:50   #1684
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
I know that I keep banging the Nevermiss drum but it really is massively under rated & the best way to discover new content months in advance! It also has a list of the most popular shows on the service so that you can easily find shows that others are enjoying!

Nevermiss is Sky's equivalent of TiVo's search & wish list functionality. Sky themselves just don't seem to realise it's importance!
I agree and hopefully it will come to the STB's at some point to make it even better
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:08   #1685
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I like how it automatically emails you for every new season of the show you've selected , its also good that you can select previous seasons I got upto scratch with Blue Bloods this way.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:24   #1686
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Virgin would rather lose me as a customer than match a rivals price.
In other words: "Virgin would rather lose me as a customer than make a loss on me".

Imagine if they had agreed to price match. You'd have been straight on here saying "All you need to do is tell them you've been offered a Sky F&F deal, and they'll halve your bill". Then everybody would be doing the same.

That's the kind of silliness that plagued ntl. Thankfully no more.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:37   #1687
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
In other words: "Virgin would rather lose me as a customer than make a loss on me".
You raise an interesting point. Clearly you have some kind of knowledge in this area.

What can you share with us in terms of Virgins profits margins? For example the VIP Collection is currently £113.99 per month. How much of the £113.99 does Virgin see as a profit? It would be interesting to see how much Virgin would actually lose by offering to match my SKY package. How low can Virgin go before it's not worth their while?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:42   #1688
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It's not that simple.

If there is a customer acquisition drive (to meet a quarter's numbers) is on, and ARPU is ahead of target, VM may be willing to be more flexible. If they are on target for customer numbers, less flexibility is needed.

And as we have seen on here, social networking adds a new dimension to discounts - if people get discount, they often talk about it on forums, then others ring up asking for that discount, and if they don't get it, complain on the forum and perhaps churn due to their dissatisfaction; so, one happy customer who got a discount, perhaps dozens of unhappy customers who didn't....

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:59   #1689
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It's not that simple.

If there is a customer acquisition drive (to meet a quarter's numbers) is on, and ARPU is ahead of target, VM may be willing to be more flexible. If they are on target for customer numbers, less flexibility is needed.

And as we have seen on here, social networking adds a new dimension to discounts - if people get discount, they often talk about in on forums, then others ring up asking for that discount, and if they don't get it, complain on the forum and perhaps churn due to their dissatisfaction; so, one happy customer who got a discount, perhaps dozens of unhappy customers who didn't....

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.
Ah I see, can't argue with your logic.

I would still like to know however how much of a loss Virgin would be making on me if they offered to match the price from SKY.
Old 20-01-2013, 20:04   #1690
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Ah I see, can't argue with your logic.

I would still like to know however how much of a loss Virgin would be making on me if they offered to match the price from SKY.
If you knew that, you would tell someone else, and then the deal would be off because everyone wants it.

Virgin can at times sell at a temporary loss, if it generates higher customer base. they can't sustain that. So at times they might offer deals that cuts profit margins. Likelihood is they are feeling the pinch, sky must have hurt them somewhat for tv and broadband, and equally BT for broadband.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 20:13   #1691
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
If you knew that, you would tell someone else, and then the deal would be off because everyone wants it.

Virgin can at times sell at a temporary loss, if it generates higher customer base. they can't sustain that. So at times they might offer deals that cuts profit margins. Likelihood is they are feeling the pinch, sky must have hurt them somewhat for tv and broadband, and equally BT for broadband.
I just wanted to if Virgin really would make a loss matching SKY, and if so how much? Spiderplant must know or he wouldn't have posted. I'm just trying to see if he'll share some further info with us.

It would also be interesting to see just how low SKY would go too. They where offering 75% rebate for ex-customers to go back. A guy from my work is paying about £30.00 per month for SKY world, SKY unlimited broadband and SKY phoneline rental.
Old 20-01-2013, 22:14   #1692
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Unless spiderplant works in the Finance, Marketing, or Strategic Planning areas of VM, he is unlikely to know that info.

And even if he did, he would probably get fired for releasing commercially sensitive information if he discussed it on a public forum - if VM's suppliers / competitors knew VM's margin, that would be sub-optimal when negotiating....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 23:12   #1693
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

VM's overall margins are in the public domain. http://www.google.co.uk/finance?cid=695833

It's fairly clear a 50% cut in revenue would be unsustainable.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 23:31   #1694
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
I just wanted to if Virgin really would make a loss matching SKY, and if so how much? Spiderplant must know or he wouldn't have posted. I'm just trying to see if he'll share some further info with us.

It would also be interesting to see just how low SKY would go too. They where offering 75% rebate for ex-customers to go back. A guy from my work is paying about £30.00 per month for SKY world, SKY unlimited broadband and SKY phoneline rental.
Sky are going to stop doing these offers in the next few months as they were causing churn issues when the campaigns were running.

They are seemingly going to go for 18 months without the huge discounts to see how the business performs. They apparently believe the competition will stop discounting so much if they do too.

About a quarter of the retention department already have a top discount of 10% off tv for 12 months and the rest is being moved to this between now and September.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 01:07   #1695
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
Sky are going to stop doing these offers in the next few months as they were causing churn issues when the campaigns were running.

They are seemingly going to go for 18 months without the huge discounts to see how the business performs. They apparently believe the competition will stop discounting so much if they do too.

About a quarter of the retention department already have a top discount of 10% off tv for 12 months and the rest is being moved to this between now and September.
That's pretty interesting stuff. I was hoping that the summer months would start a price / discount war between SKY, BT and Virgin. I just can't see the 3 of them coexisting offering similar packages at similar prices.