Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.
Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2013, 21:23   #1651
thegrid
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Big Kahuna with Sky Sports HD & Movies HD. 1TB TiVo, 2 X V+HD, 200MB Vivid Broadband
thegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
without a doubt bud,good on the ipad and more now that bt sports 1+2 can be streamed from it also.it starting to look like when new channels start or contracts are re-newed that the are trying to the streaming included pity they couldnt do the sme for tivo-tivo
Yeah, i'm just intrigued by the capabilities that the Horizon boxes have. They seem good but if Virgin do up their game with TiVo and get a similar firmware as in the States I wonder which one they would prefer to use?
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2013, 21:32   #1652
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

I think our deal with Sony runs out this year, so Virgin may give us an early Christmas present. We may get:

Sony TV +1
Sony Movies
movies4men
movies4men +1
more>movies

Possibly even the missing Sky channels if VM wish to wait until Christmas to launch the rest of their channels. I don't know how Virgin think.
Old 16-08-2013, 21:45   #1653
thegrid
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Big Kahuna with Sky Sports HD & Movies HD. 1TB TiVo, 2 X V+HD, 200MB Vivid Broadband
thegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of lightthegrid is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
I think our deal with Sony runs out this year, so Virgin may give us an early Christmas present. We may get:

Sony TV +1
Sony Movies
movies4men
movies4men +1
more>movies

Possibly even the missing Sky channels if VM wish to wait until Christmas to launch the rest of their channels. I don't know how Virgin think.
Well, after what has happened in the past few weeks, they'll definitely keep us guessing but i'm sure they would rather get the channels for the right price sooner, rather than later.
Old 16-08-2013, 21:46   #1654
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrid View Post
I wonder which one they would prefer to use?
Given the amount of money they have invested in it and it's on going introduction to other Liberty areas, I'm pretty sure that they prefer the Horizon box.

I think our only hope as to keeping Tivo is that VM have had a massive success with it since it's introduction and so Liberty may take the view to leave VM as a one off area with Tivo. Hopefully taking the view that 'if it aint broke...' But I wouldn't put any bets on that.
Old 16-08-2013, 21:46   #1655
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Was it nstokes?
Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
It was Arthur
You never know
Old 16-08-2013, 21:49   #1656
thegrid
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Given the amount of money they have invested in it and it's on going introduction to other Liberty areas, I'm pretty sure that they prefer the Horizon box.

I think our only hope as to keeping Tivo is that VM have had a massive success with it since it's introduction and so Liberty may take the view to leave VM as a one off area with Tivo. Hopefully taking the view that 'if it aint broke...' But I wouldn't put any bets on that.
Yeah, i think the reason why TiVo has done so well is because there isn't any other hardware in the UK (that i'm aware of, so please correct me if i'm wrong) that can compare and also TiVo is a huge name in Broadcasting hardware so that could be a reason. Nobody really knows about Horizon so people may be a bit nervy about it.
Old 16-08-2013, 21:59   #1657
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yeah, i think the reason why TiVo has done so well is because there isn't any other hardware in the UK (that i'm aware of, so please correct me if i'm wrong) that can compare and also TiVo is a huge name in Broadcasting hardware so that could be a reason. Nobody really knows about Horizon so people may be a bit nervy about it.
All new tech takes time to settle as I am sure original TiVo users will attest to. Horizon has only been available for a while now with bugs as to be expected, I am pretty sure these will be ironed out in the next twelve months.
Old 16-08-2013, 22:01   #1658
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

I mentioned this in my conversation with the ceo's office and whilst she couldn't confirm this will not happen in the future,she did stress that TiVo has been a success for vm and a key selling point and there is no way they would pull the plug on the TiVo without reviewing all this so for the considerable future I think we can rest easy.
Trust me folks liberty global have big plans for vm and if every thing that is planned comes off its gonna be a great year for vm and for us customers,now vm are part of a bigger organisation they have a lot more playing power and this week as certainly proved it.Whilst sky will always remain on top the gap hopefully will be shrinking by the end of the year
Old 16-08-2013, 22:05   #1659
thegrid
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
All new tech takes time to settle as I am sure original TiVo users will attest to. Horizon has only been available for a while now with bugs as to be expected, I am pretty sure these will be ironed out in the next twelve months.
Yeah, that's a given. I'm just curious as to which way they'll go. they are both powerful and resourceful. Time will tell.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
I mentioned this in my conversation with the ceo's office and whilst she couldn't confirm this will not happen in the future,she did stress that TiVo has been a success for vm and a key selling point and whilst it couldn't to do there is no way the would pull the plug on the TiVo so for the considerable future I think we can rest easy.
Trust me folks liberty global have big plans for vm and if every thing that is planned comes off its gonna be a great year for vm and for us customers,now vm are part of a bigger organisation they have a lot more playing power and this week as certainly proved it.Whilst sky will always remain on top the gap hopefully will be shrinking by the end of the year
I think it will shrink quite considerably to be honest. With LG now being the parent company, with the resources they have in Europe let alone globally; it's looking promising. Good things take time.
Old 16-08-2013, 22:09   #1660
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

I'm curious - how many channels (SD & HD & +1's) have VM added so far this year?

For new channels, this surely VM's best ever year, no?
Old 16-08-2013, 22:12   #1661
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yeah, that's a given. I'm just curious as to which way they'll go. they are both powerful and resourceful. Time will tell.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

I think it will shrink quite considerably to be honest. With LG now being the parent company, with the resources they have in Europe let alone globally; it's looking promising. Good things take time.
Exactly bud,another thing what was said even when deals are done they can't just flick a switch and there on it takes time.i got the impression deals have been done or are in place but will only show up at a gradual pace,got to laugh at that now as to how quick bt sports came on after the supposed last minute deal we really deep down all know it wasnt

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
I'm curious - how many channels (SD & HD & +1's) have VM added so far this year?

For new channels, this surely VM's best ever year, no?
Not sure bud but I do think someone posted it a while back and whilst some of the channels ain't everyone's choice it's certain impressive so far
Old 16-08-2013, 22:13   #1662
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I mentioned this in my conversation with the ceo's office and whilst she couldn't confirm this will not happen in the future,she did stress that TiVo has been a success for vm and a key selling point and there is no way they would pull the plug on the TiVo without reviewing all this so for the considerable future I think we can rest easy.
Money talks. If LG believe they can save money while offering customers a like-for-like option, I believe they'll do so.

The crunch will be when they are doing the 'Why should you upgrade from TiVo to Horizon?' page on the VM site. Can they make 'upgrading' an appealing enough option to TiVoed customers? Not to mention that all the TiVo-promotion VM have done will be for squat going ahead.
Old 16-08-2013, 22:17   #1663
thegrid
Inactive

Quote:
Exactly bud,another thing what was said even when deals are done they can't just flick a switch and there on it takes time.i got the impression deals have been done or are in place but will only show up at a gradual pace,got to laugh at that now as to how quick bt sports came on after the supposed last minute deal we really deep down we all know it wasnt
Yeah, a few of us thought that BT Sport was going to be with us before tomorrow and we were right. Because VM held out on negotiations, the stronger their option to barter became. Because of that VM are the only company to have the channels on a wholesale basis. I think a few surprises are in store.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:
Money talks. If LG believe they can save money while offering customers a like-for-like option, I believe they'll do so.

The crunch will be when they are doing the 'Why should you upgrade from TiVo to Horizon?' page on the VM site. Can they make 'upgrading' an appealing enough option to TiVoed customers? Not to mention that all the TiVo-promotion VM have done will be for squat going ahead.
I suppose it depends on what 'extras' will be on the Horizon box, along with Storage, Network capabilities and recording quality.

Has anybody seen any screenshots from the Horizon boxes?
Old 16-08-2013, 22:18   #1664
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

They are still trying to convince 2.1 million customers to switch to TiVo. TiVo customers are still in the minority. Maybe they launch Horizon and target the non-Tivo customers first?
Old 16-08-2013, 22:19   #1665
howardmicks
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah, a few of us thought that BT Sport was going to be with us before tomorrow and we were right. Because VM held out on negotiations, the stronger their option to barter became. Because of that VM are the only company to have the channels on a wholesale basis. I think a few surprises are in store.
Trust me bud there are who would have thought sky would be delaying the launch of a new channel (bravo) because they can't sort out a carrage agreement with vm.12 months ago that would not have happened that clearly shows how much of affect liberty global have had on vm,would bt have done the same deal with vm if they were not part of liberty global I suspect not
Closed Thread