Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 20-04-2012, 13:07   #1621
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

your findings are from where?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2012, 13:10   #1622
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
your findings are from where?
In addition to the Wikipedia info I posted earlier:

http://www.10gea.org/1000base-t/#BAS...GORY_5_CABLING

Quote:
Network managers and planners will be able to run 1000BASE-T over Category 5 cabling. The IEEE has written the 1000BASE-T Standard for Gigabit Ethernet operation over the Category 5 cabling systems installed according to the specifications of ANSI/TIA/EIA-568A (1995). Member companies of the GEA have demonstrated 1000BASE-T products operating on Category 5 cabling. There should be no need to replace existing Category 5 cabling to use 1000BASE-T.
Old 20-04-2012, 13:23   #1623
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

dated 1999
Old 20-04-2012, 13:26   #1624
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
dated 1999
As the standard for Gigabit networking was designed for 1000BASE-T to run over Cat5 cabling, I would believe that it can

Anyway, just because an article is old doesn't mean it's wrong.
Old 20-04-2012, 13:29   #1625
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
dated 1999
The standard for GigE over copper, 802.3ab, was ratified in 1999, doesn't make it any less pertinent just because it's 13 years old.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 13:35   #1626
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
September 1999
too old for my liking
Old 20-04-2012, 13:37   #1627
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

I'm running a GigE network over Cat5 at home, gigabit switch to both computers, I get ~700Mbit throughput between a laptop and a desktop, it'll do.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 13:40   #1628
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Cat5 is designed to handle 100m of gigabit and cat5e 320m so I don't understand this fallacy that it "sucks"

In fact there's very little difference between the cable itself and the only reason as to why cat5e is supplied these days is that it's been superseded in manufacturing by cat5e with all of the factories only making the higher spec..

I wonder how few vm customers actually need the 100m to 320m capability of Cat5e??? and how many people would actually realize if you swapped all of their cat5e for cat5
Sure about this? All standards indicate a maximum segment length of 100m, absolute maximum, before active repeating is required?

See TIA/EIA 568-5-A - the Cat5e cable standard. It mandates 100m max segment length regardless of the speed you're running at due to timing issues to allow the CS part of CSMA/CD to work. Signals can't propogate down wire quickly enough to avoid it breaking without something active breaking the electrical domain.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Quote:
too old for my liking
Best get off this website and indeed the Internet then, TCP/IP which you use to reach the server it lives on and HTTP which it's using to deliver the web pages via all pre-date 1999 quite considerably.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 13:47   #1629
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavChap View Post
I'm running a GigE network over Cat5 at home, gigabit switch to both computers, I get ~700Mbit throughput between a laptop and a desktop, it'll do.
could be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Best get off this website and indeed the Internet then, TCP/IP which you use to reach the server it lives on and HTTP which it's using to deliver the web pages via all pre-date 1999 quite considerably.
Old 20-04-2012, 14:46   #1630
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
could be better
Well until I get an enterprise class NAS it'll do... My hard drives won't do anywhere near 1Gbit, and I'm only on Virgin XL BB.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 15:15   #1631
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

cat5 can probably do gigabit but I wouldnt deliberatly buy it as cat6 is out there on the market for around the same cost anyway.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 18:38   #1632
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

I've actually seen various things over the years that state Cat5 is only really reliable with Gige at 10m lengths. Cheap Cat5 was pretty common too and was utter pants, back in the days when speeds over 100mbps were still theoretical or reserved for large corporations consumer stuff was never really manufactured to a decent standard.

There shouldn't be much cheap Cat5 left though, 5e replaced it long ago and as others have said Cat 6 is standard now.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 21:58   #1633
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
could be better
I run a short run of cat 5 between my home server to my router then cat 6 to my pc, 110MB/s all day every day.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 22:01   #1634
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sure about this? All standards indicate a maximum segment length of 100m, absolute maximum, before active repeating is required?
You are right maximum length without a repeater is 100m. Usually 90m max length for the horrizontal cable allowing for a 5m patch cable either end.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:25   #1635
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
afaik because the prices have come down now, everyone is being put onto 100/5 until the upgrades have been completed
Barnsley has been done then. Not sure whenBut I thought that you were meant to get the Superhub?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote