Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
View Poll Results: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
Yes 16 13.33%
No 95 79.17%
Occasionally 6 5.00%
Unsure 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-02-2012, 10:13   #136
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman View Post
The NOTW under another name

You poor deluded guy Robin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17165615
Nope ... analyst opinion seems to be that it's just a seventh-day printing for the Sun rather than a re-branded NOTW. The content of today's paper is consistent with the Sun rather than the News of the Screws - BBC's Nick Higham calls it "recognisably the Sun, rather than the News of the World: an upbeat family paper with no sleaze, no kiss'n'tells".

Also, Dominic Moghan is editing it, so it is unlikely to develop a different editorial direction from the Sun on Monday to Saturday if the same person is in charge of the whole show.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2012, 10:13   #137
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm happy with my copy at 50p. Basically the Sun on Saturday but with page three a bit more covered than normal.

Those who say it's just NOTW under a different cover have got it wrong on this outing.

The main feature being about Amanda Holden almost dying during caesarian childbirth could have been in any of the tabloid Sundays.

Gets out tin hat and prepares for incoming....
Old 26-02-2012, 10:21   #138
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nope ... analyst opinion seems to be that it's just a seventh-day printing for the Sun rather than a re-branded NOTW. The content of today's paper is consistent with the Sun rather than the News of the Screws - BBC's Nick Higham calls it "recognisably the Sun, rather than the News of the World: an upbeat family paper with no sleaze, no kiss'n'tells".

Also, Dominic Moghan is editing it, so it is unlikely to develop a different editorial direction from the Sun on Monday to Saturday if the same person is in charge of the whole show.
How much do you think it will evolve over the next few months into something similar to the NOTW?.
Old 26-02-2012, 13:00   #139
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I don't think it will. The aim will have been to get the tone the way they wanted it from the outset. If they had wanted to re-launch the NOTW they could have done so from day one.
Old 26-02-2012, 13:08   #140
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

A Shame really because as much as i disliked what the NOTW did on the phone hacking front they also did some very good pieces of journalism such as the Pakistan cricket spot fixing one if it had not been for the NOTW would anybody else have done that i wonder maybe or maybe not.

Whist not liking the sun we do need another investagative journal at the weekend i feel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...s-of-the-world
Old 26-02-2012, 13:09   #141
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Well i am happy to confirm i have not given any money towards News international and there sleazeball of a comic. I prefer andrex

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:10   #142
marko
cf.member

marko can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Well i am happy to confirm i have not given any money towards News international and there sleazeball of a comic. I prefer andrex

How deeply original. Oh, and hurtful too. *Yawn*. I'm quite certain the small army of honest, dedicated and law-abiding professionals who piled in yesterday to produce the new edition at a moment's notice will be cut to the quick by your enormously insightful input and cease publication forthwith.

No matter. Haters hate. End of.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:46   #143
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
How deeply original. Oh, and hurtful too. *Yawn*. I'm quite certain the small army of honest, dedicated and law-abiding professionals who piled in yesterday to produce the new edition at a moment's notice will be cut to the quick by your enormously insightful input and cease publication forthwith.

No matter. Haters hate. End of.
There's always one.

If they had been so dedicated they would not have broken the law but some of them decided to break the law.

They would not be in the position there in now if they had been dedicated enough to report on those within there ranks that were breaking the law therefor standing up for the innocent people they say they support. Anyone who works for a company that hacked in to the phones of innocent people should understand why some of us will not trust them for a very very long time. when they have won back the trust of there readership then i might look at there paper but until that day every time i see them produce an exclusive i will wonder how they got the information in the first place.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Quote:
who piled in yesterday to produce the new edition at a moment's notice

Oh come on they have been planning it for weeks.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:48   #144
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
There's always one.

If they had been so dedicated they would have broken the law but some of them decided to break the law.

They would not be in the position there in now if they had been dedicated enough to report on those within there ranks that were breaking the law therefor standing up for the innocent people they say they support. Anyone who works for a company that hacked in to the phones of innocent people should understand why some of us will not trust them for a very very long time. when they have won back the trust of there readership then i might look at there paper but until that day every time i see them produce a exclusive i will wonder how they got the information in the first place.
The other way of looking at things is the fact they felt the need to hack peoples phones shows a distinct lack of investigative aptitude within the company/s ,which is realy the only reason serious readers would want to buy newspapers these days as any other daily news feeds make the papers out of date as soon as they go to print
Old 26-02-2012, 20:43   #145
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I don't think it will. The aim will have been to get the tone the way they wanted it from the outset. If they had wanted to re-launch the NOTW they could have done so from day one.
That would have been business suicide if they had.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:53   #146
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
That would have been business suicide if they had.
Quite. I don't see there's any way back. Having filled the Sunday void with another edition of the Sun, the Sun's own reputation is firmly on the line if it is perceived as heading back into NOTW territory.
Old 26-02-2012, 21:32   #147
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Quite. I don't see there's any way back. Having filled the Sunday void with another edition of the Sun, the Sun's own reputation is firmly on the line if it is perceived as heading back into NOTW territory.
Only time will tell.

Personally I think the Sun's own reputation is bad enough.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 21:55   #148
marko
cf.member

marko can only hope to improve

Quote:
There's always one.

If they had been so dedicated they would not have broken the law but some of them decided to break the law.

They would not be in the position there in now if they had been dedicated enough to report on those within there ranks that were breaking the law therefor standing up for the innocent people they say they support. Anyone who works for a company that hacked in to the phones of innocent people should understand why some of us will not trust them for a very very long time. when they have won back the trust of there readership then i might look at there paper but until that day every time i see them produce an exclusive i will wonder how they got the information in the first place.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Oh come on they have been planning it for weeks.

Yes, indeed, there IS always one who actually knows what he's talking about, rather than just guessing.

First off, you say these people broke the law. You've got proof of that, have you? Only it's been widely reported that so far, at least, none of the arrested Sun employees have been charged with anything. In fact, it is generally accepted (as their company has pointed out) that people in this country are perceived as innocent until proven guilty - so much so that these staff members' suspensions were subsequently lifted. So perhaps you'd like to retract your accusation pending future developments? I wonder.

You then suggest that colleagues of those under suspicion should have reported their (alleged) illegal activities. For that to happen, you're assuming these colleagues would have been aware that such questionable activities were taking place. Let's just say I have absolutely no reason to believe that was the case. Let's face it, anyone up to illegal stuff was hardly likely to broadcast it around the office. So, again, you've pointed the finger at an entire raft of people who are entirely innocent, honest, and law-abiding. Nice one.

On the plus side, I take your point completely about the lack of public trust and having to win that back. That's a given in the wake of the allegations that have been reported and is likely to take a very long time.

However regarding the "weeks" of planning thing, you're again well wide of the mark. Yes, there may have been some preparation work on the project, but staffing and pulling the edition together would indeed have been "at a moment's notice" since the proprietor only gave the go-ahead last Sunday. So, again, I'm afraid your ridicule is unfounded.

Whatever you think of News International, News Corp or The Sun, I hope you'll agree it is only fair to portray the situation accurately. Suffice to say, if a tabloid reported events the way you did in your post, it would justifiably expect to find itself before the Leveson Inquiry, or worse.

HTH
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 22:06   #149
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

However regarding the "weeks" of planning thing, you're again well wide of the mark. Yes, there may have been some preparation work on the project, but staffing and pulling the edition together would indeed have been "at a moment's notice" since the proprietor only gave the go-ahead last Sunday. So, again, I'm afraid your ridicule is unfounded.

Well if you believe that then you will believe anything, they do say the is one born every minute and a certain mr murdoch will be happy that you are so easily taken in.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 22:12   #150
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

He may have only have given the go-ahead a week ago, but like all major projects, everything had to be in place for him to say "Go"....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote