Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Router WRT54GSUK V4 with Ntl 250 Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Router WRT54GSUK V4 with Ntl 250 Modem

Old 03-05-2006, 18:32   #1
crazybones
Inactive

crazybones is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys Router WRT54GSUK V4 with Ntl 250 Modem

OK folks - I need help. In fact, I'm probably beyond that stage!

I'm on 2Mb and was connected via a STB using the Linksys WRT54GS UK V4 router which I purchased a couple of weeks ago. The Linksys replaced a Belkin router which I'd used for the previous couple of years.

Yesterday, I had a separate cable modem fitted (NTL 250). I went through the registration procedure and was up and running in 5 mins. However, when I tried to connect the router, it could not obtain an IP address. I can access the router from my pc, but on the status page, the IP address shows 0.0.0.0.

So far, I have tried the following:
1. Turning off the PC, router and cable modem, then powering up the cable modem, waiting for the connection (lights steady), then powering the router and finally turnig on the PC. I must have tried this 20 or 30 times after each of the following have also been attempted.
2. Cloning the MAC address
3. Changing the routers ip address
4. Holding the reset button for 30+ seconds on the router
5. Belkin support - 45 min call at the end of which, they suggested ringing NTL for settings!
6. Releasing/renewing the lease
7. Releasing the lease from the PC, powering down modem, router and pc then rebooting in order.
8. Substituting the old Belkin router - that could not obtain an IP address either.
9. Turning off the Modem as per Robin Walker's instructions for 4 hours and the rebooting
10.Upgrading the router firmware to the most recent European version - 105.6

The infuriating thing is that each time I plug the ethernet cable directly into the networking port on the pc, I can access the internet fine, but immediately, I connect the modem to the router, it can't get an IP address.

Is it possible that there's a conflict with the NTL 250 modem and both the Linksys and Belkin routers? I really don't know where to go from here, as I've exhausted all my ideas and those of Belkin tech support and of course, NTL don't provide tech support for networking.

Ideas please?
crazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2006, 18:37   #2
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: Linksys Router WRT54GSUK V4 with Ntl 250 Modem

No problems with thisa router on ntl 250, set one up for one of our Directors.

Have you tried it direct to the pc?

Also when you state you 'changed the ip address of the router' is it set to get its WAN ip via DHCP?

You should perform a full factory reset on the router and unplug the mains from the ntl modem. Then power up the ntl modem and leave for 30 secs till it locks on. Then power up the router making sure beforehand that the ethernet cable is plugged into the WAN port on the router and that the usb cable for the cable modem is in the cardboard box where it belongs.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 19:04   #3
crazybones
Inactive

Hi Handyman,

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "direct to the pc", if you mean a direct ethernet lead between the PC and modem. the yes I have and this works fine.

The router is set to gain the WAN IP via DHCP automatically. When I said that I changed its address, I was referring to the LAN IP, as somebody posted elsewhere that there may be a conflict. It didn't work, so I restored the default setting.

I've tried turning everything off many times. The USB lead is still in the box!
Old 03-05-2006, 22:53   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Can we just confirm what cables are plugged in where? Should be RJ45 from modem to WAN (Internet) port on Router and RJ45 from one of the four internal ports to the PC. What LED's are lit on the front of the Router and CM?

You can browse to the router admin, but have you tried browsing to the CM admin page (http://192.168.100.1), and if so does it report a valid IP address?

Have you tried a different RJ45 cable between router and modem?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 23:14   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Was there a crossover ethernet connection on the original STB wiring which should now be a straight ethernet since the modem was installed?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:45   #6
crazybones
Inactive

Guys, I think that I've found my problem - the Linksys router has a problem. Last night (or maybe it was early this morning!), I tried the old Belkin router again. It was up and running in 30 seconds. No additional configuration was necessary and I could surf the net both by LAN and wireless. Tonight, I will try again with the Linksys, but it's looking like that was the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Aragorn - yes, when connected direct to the pc, I can surf the internet and the cable modem reports a valid IP address. The cables are connected as you describe and the cable modem has both lights on the right lit solidly. The cable modem status pages says it is locked.

Rob C - It is straight through and the old Samsung STB was straight through.

I'll let you know how I get on tonight, when I try again with the Linksys router.
Old 05-05-2006, 17:01   #7
crazybones
Inactive

Progress made. The Linksys router is fine and I have found that the problem lies with cable between the cable modem and the router. If my pc is connected directly to the NTL 250 using the same cable, I can gain an IP address and access the internet. If I then put the Linksys router on the same cable, I can't get an IP address.

I then substituted a spare 2m CAT5 cable and found that the Linksys router worked fine, so I know that its a cable issue. Either the cable (10M) is too long and the losses are too great or there's a compatibility problem, possibly as the existing cable is not CAT5. In view of the speed, I did not think that CAT5 is necessary, but maybe the NTL 250 requires it? I'm going to try and substitute a 10M CAT5 cable and if that doesn't work, I'll buy a shielded CAT5 cable.