Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to play mp4/mkv over network...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unable to play mp4/mkv over network...

Old 19-10-2012, 15:56   #1
otguk
Inactive

Services: SuperHub upto 50Mbps, TiVo, x2 HD boxes, Phone @£105 per month.
otguk is an unknown quantity at this point
Unable to play mp4/mkv over network...

Hi,

This was posted elsewhere,

Everything was OK until about two/three weeks ago.

Media is shared via a win7-64bit PC.

At first I just thought it was because the MKV file was of a to good quality but then files that used to play started to stutter/lag.

Now two days ago MP4s have started to do the same.

We are talking wireless on two PC & from PC that has media stored on it.

VLC, WMP, both fail to play smoothly over wireless as well as from media PC.

PotPlayer plays OK from media PC but on wireless PCs its the same as others.

Have messed around with setting in VCL but still noting good has happened.

Updated everything I can think of.

So does anyone have similar story's or offer any ideas that would be great please.

Thank you.

But another thought came to me just now...

Could my super hub's firmware have anything to do with this?

R36, hardware version 2...

Any ideas from here :-)
otguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2012, 16:15   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Unable to play mp4/mkv over network...

If you are reliant on wireless, it is possible that a neighbour has just installed or changed their wireless network kit and so you are getting some interference. Try setting a different wireless channel on the superhub.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 19:18   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If you are reliant on wireless, it is possible that a neighbour has just installed or changed their wireless network kit and so you are getting some interference. Try setting a different wireless channel on the superhub.
What he said......

You just cannot rely on the superhubs wireless.

For a reliable wireless experience you need to get a decent router and use the superhub in modem mode.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 20:17   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You can't really rely on any public unlicensed medium but there's just different degrees of reliability. On the other hand wireless could have nothing to do with it. Do a speedtest, local and WAN, and also try with a cable.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 15:01   #5
otguk
Inactive

Used InSSIDer... everyone around me are on 1 or 6 ch... I was on 11, with good strength around 56.

What I cant understand is on media PC, local playing of mp4/mkv is choppy in VLC/WMP & only just watch able in PotPlayer!

So I might have two things going on, codec and wifi interference?

Will try those test later this weekend. Just mystifying it (as in the set-up) worked for 11 months OK but now its playing silly buggers :-)

But did mean to get a stand alone router about 9 months ago, just never did but now might be a good time.

Keep ideas coming in. I will update as I go.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:57   #6
otguk
Inactive

With the up dates I did about two/three weeks ago, I updated the graphics driver.

Checked site and there was an update for it already... so installed new driver and alls working!

Video driver was coursing video stutter on mp4/mkv play back...

Plays even better now as I found a modded virgin media dongle driver with all the searching of the net I did.

So thanks for you help ppl.
Old 24-10-2012, 14:55   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Glad you got it sorted
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote