Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 24-05-2012, 12:27   #691
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I would expect that it's identifiying the right solution to offer it as a product i.e. the method by which you connect two TiVos together
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Plus rights issues I suspect.
Both of these should have been sorted by now. VM have known of their requirments from the time that they decided to do a deal with Tivo. Tivo has been with customers for almost a year and a half, and there was the lengthy VM/Tivo development time before this.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2012, 12:52   #692
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Plus rights issues I suspect.
I would agree. IMO broadcasters in this country seem loath to allow the transfer of HD content between devices or at least only in a limited way.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 14:00   #693
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Hello. I've got two questions if anyone can answer them?

1) how do I get the tv stations picture on the info screen? I've seen people with the e4 icon on the info screen etc

2) I've come home and turned my tv and TiVo on. It's allowing me to rewind back before I even turned the box and tv on! Magical. How does it that? Is it always recording or recorded on virgin server? It's incredible!

3) I heard you can stream youtube videos from an iphone to your tivo box? So search youtube on phone and then get it up via the tivo box on screen? Surely not!
4) Can you transfer recordings easily from a tivo? So you can watch on the go? Or is it like the v+ box with dvd recordable player atttached? (not that i can even think how else you could do it..)

5) any good more in depth guides for TiVo than just the virgin manual?

Thanks in advance all
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 14:10   #694
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
1) how do I get the tv stations picture on the info screen? I've seen people with the e4 icon on the info screen etc.
Try a re-boot. I've never not had them there, so not sure really

Quote:
2) I've come home and turned my tv and TiVo on. It's allowing me to rewind back before I even turned the box and tv on! Magical. How does it that? Is it always recording or recorded on virgin server? It's incredible!
All "standby" does is switch off the audio and video. All three buffers are still... erm... buffering what channels they're on.

No. 3. No idea.

Quote:
4) Can you transfer recordings easily from a tivo?
Not at this time. Eventually, though

Quote:
5) any good more in depth guides for TiVo than just the virgin manual?
No. Just us
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:24   #695
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Both of these should have been sorted by now. VM have known of their requirments from the time that they decided to do a deal with Tivo. Tivo has been with customers for almost a year and a half, and there was the lengthy VM/Tivo development time before this.
Do tell us more. You obviously have a great in-depth knowledge of TV rights negotiations so I'm sure you can enlighten us on how it should have been "sorted by now".
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:30   #696
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Do tell us more. You obviously have a great in-depth knowledge of TV rights negotiations so I'm sure you can enlighten us on how it should have been "sorted by now".
You really think 18 months + is a reasonable time to sort it out
Old 24-05-2012, 15:53   #697
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Tivo has been available to customers for around 17 months, and I'm guessing that the development, before release to customers was at least 12 months. So that's around 2.5 years in total.

I have no 'great in-depth knowledge of TV rights negotiations' but common sense suggests that something is wrong if both rights and connectivity can't be sorted out in that time scale.

Also, bear in mind that connectivity is there already; by hooking both boxes up to a router.
Old 24-05-2012, 15:58   #698
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Tivo has been available to customers for around 17 months, and I'm guessing that the development, before release to customers was at least 12 months. So that's around 2.5 years in total.

I have no 'great in-depth knowledge of TV rights negotiations' but common sense suggests that something is wrong if both rights and connectivity can't be sorted out in that time scale.

Also, bear in mind that connectivity is there already; by hooking both boxes up to a router.
However multiroom streaming was only introduced by TiVo last year and the US boxes actually only got in January of this year
Old 24-05-2012, 16:15   #699
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
However multiroom streaming was only introduced by TiVo last year and the US boxes actually only got in January of this year
Ok so the tec problems are solved. Agree , that leaves "rights" as the only issue. So if it was thought of on 31st Dec 2011 ( Last year ) It is still nearly 5 months down the line .

Having said all this I really do not care if it comes or not. It just shows how slow Virgin are at getting things set up
Old 24-05-2012, 16:40   #700
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Me to i aint switching to TiVo till i can stream to the upstairs V HD box, end of.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 16:43   #701
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Me to i aint switching to TiVo till i can stream to the upstairs V HD box, end of.
Sounds like you won't be getting a TIVO for a very long while then
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 16:43   #702
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
That'll be a while then. Nothing has been confirmed to say the V HD box will be getting the TiVo interface and it won't do streaming without it
Old 24-05-2012, 16:48   #703
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

possibly missed at the bottom of the last page

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
couple of quick app questions if anyone can help

spotify - is it possible to shuffle a playlist on tivo ?

youtube - is it possible to see all my subscriptions on tivo ? when i log in it just seems to display whatever happened to have the last upload

cheers for any answers
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 17:01   #704
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I may be wrong, but prior to streaming, didn't they still have the ability to watch shows on one box on the other (by copying?) I imagine the process is not that different? I know copying is not really an option in the UK.

The thing is, we've had the boxes connected since last Novembe; I can delete shows from the beedroom box using the lounge box and visa versa. They knew they planned to have multiroom streaming from the get go, so rights issues really ought to be sorted. People buy Network connected TVs, Games consoles etc and to get the extra connected content, they have to connect it to the network, and they follow instructions on how to do it. Why should this extra Tivo functionality be any different?

And we know multi room streaming works on tivo, because the US ones have got it.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:12   #705
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
People buy Network connected TVs, Games consoles etc and to get the extra connected content, they have to connect it to the network, and they follow instructions on how to do it. Why should this extra Tivo functionality be any different?
Because VM wants its customers to have a fault free perfect experience when using multiroom streaming , I've had a moan myself about how long multiroom streaming has took to arrive in the UK pay TV market , however thinking rationally about it you can see the issues. Many people don't want wiring going all over their homes which is probably the preferred method , wifi can be hit and miss which leaves Homeplug networking , it really is a minefield and also worth remembering no other pay TV provider currently has this feature available to date.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote