Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 21-04-2012, 10:00   #1636
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sure about this? All standards indicate a maximum segment length of 100m, absolute maximum, before active repeating is required?
Yep you're quite correct Carl, for some reason my old training documentation has cat5 in meters and cat5e in ft
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2012, 10:18   #1637
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Yep you're quite correct Carl...
Okay. That's not confusing at all
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 10:44   #1638
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Yep you're quite correct Carl, for some reason my old training documentation has cat5 in meters and cat5e in ft
I thought as much going by the 320m, I suspected it referred to 328 feet, or 100m in new money

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Okay. That's not confusing at all
Given she was quoting me it's not a huge leap of imagination to deduce she was referring to me, I think my name is well known to site regulars and indeed I invite people to refer to me as Carl.

People can even call me Carl Thomas if so inclined, and Facebook stalk / LinkedIn stalk me until their eyes bleed.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 13:06   #1639
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Given she was quoting me it's not a huge leap of imagination to deduce she was referring to me...
Of course she was

Quote:
I think my name is well known to site regulars ...
I was not aware of it. I am now.

It was merely a off-hand comment.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:21   #1640
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Just to pull this thread back on topic before there's the upstream upgrade in most areas you'll be seeing a firmware upgrade to your Superhub / VMNG300.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:50   #1641
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

wow here we... will it be in the upcoming firmware upgrade for the SH or is that a wifi upgrade only? if its wifi only do you reckon the buffer issue raised (see my sig) will be looked at and improved when the upgrade to aid upsteam is pushed?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:03   #1642
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just to pull this thread back on topic before there's the upstream upgrade in most areas you'll be seeing a firmware upgrade to your Superhub / VMNG300.
Errrr, who said there wouldnt be anymore firmware updates for the vmng300 because VM don't want it used anymore (*cough* Ben)

If they can have firmware written for upstream (whatever it is for) it shows there are still enough customers who are using the vmng300 to warrant it (previous statements have been made saying it isnt worth the money).

Now that they have proven they can still get firmware written for it, I would be well impressed if they get can update to allow 8 channels. If they do that I'll forgive them for the turmoil I had to go through during my 100mbit upgrade.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:06   #1643
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
(*cough* Ben)
When did I say that?
Old 21-04-2012, 20:15   #1644
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I dont know but I thought I would blame you for it

Seriously though, it was either you, Masque or Nopanic, I can't remember which one though. It was probably Masque because I can remember the speach about the shub and how that is all VM are interested in and the vmgn300 is end of line bla bla bla and they arent interested in supporting it and if anything goes wrong it will be replaced with the shub etc etc.

I am honestly well chuffed that they have gone to the effort of having new firmware written though to fix whatever is wrong with the upstream. It shows they are happy with us keeping the vmng300 for a while because they could easly have said screw you, you need a shub to get it to work if previous comments made in the past were anything to go by.
Old 21-04-2012, 20:25   #1645
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I dont know but I thought I would blame you for it

Seriously though, it was either you, Masque or Nopanic, I can't remember which one though. It was probably Masque because I can remember the speach about the shub and how that is all VM are interested in and the vmgn300 is end of line bla bla bla and they arent interested in supporting it and if anything goes wrong it will be replaced with the shub etc etc.
I would not hold your breath until you actually see a different firmware in your VMNG300 as I would trust them as far as I could throw Necker Island.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:37   #1646
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I would not hold your breath until you actually see a different firmware in your VMNG300 as I would trust them as far as I could throw Necker Island.
But do you not trust Ignition?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:39   #1647
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Welllll, for reference this is what I am on atm so lets see what happens

Boot Code Version : 6.1.1c
Software Version : 3.11.1201
Hardware Version : 1.39.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
But do you not trust Ignition?
implicitly
Old 21-04-2012, 20:42   #1648
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Im on the same apart from the Hardware version which is 1.48.0
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:45   #1649
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Quote:

This is mine -

Boot Code Version : 6.1.1f
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:46   #1650
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I'm also hoping the next firmware update (which evidently has been "coming soon" for a long time now) fixes the issues with packet scheduling, it's a known fact that with the superhub ping and jitter is higher than the VMNG300 due to this issue.

I'd also like to see a fix for the FTP/VPN time out issues that the superhub is causing, it times these connections out after 30 seconds of inactivity. This is a right pain for us people that use FTP connections for working on websites, having to reconnect many times until the job is done. Using the superhub in modem mode and using your own router doesn't fix this either. Whoever let this happen is a right wally
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote