Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 15-01-2012, 19:27   #931
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Free

Don't forget tp click on Expand..
Old 15-01-2012, 19:36   #932
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Let's just change two words, and see how that reads....
You just had to use Npower as an example . Now i am going to be annoyed for the rest of the night.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:59   #933
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Except it's not "free" because you still have to pay the initial price to get it. If it was truly free, Virgin would give you it at no cost at all. However, we are arguing semantics here and the important thing is that you specifically said "free by anyone's definition". I was merely pointing out that not everyone has the same definition of "free".
A double your speed upgrade at no cost to yourself is something for free as you are not paying any extra for that upgrade to me and every other English speaking person reading this post that is the definition of free.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:04   #934
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
A double your speed upgrade at no cost to yourself is something for free as you are not paying any extra for that upgrade to me and every other English speaking person reading this post that is the definition of free.
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:12   #935
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I think the best way to describe it is the upgrade process itself is free.

However the upgraded service isnt free by any means as there is still a monthly subscription fee to pay. The best way to describe that is its 'inclusive'.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the service is free. They are arguing that the upgrade is free.

Quote:
What I didnt like was someone telling me I am ungrateful because I am not patting VM on the back. Someone in a congested area isnt getting upgraded speed they just simply getting a new config to their modem. The only thing upgrading their speed is extra capacity not a new config.
Obviously the millions of pounds VM have spent on upgrades to the network don't count, because, as you say, it's just a config change.

Quote:
VM certianly dont do things like this out of charity, in this case its been done as a reaction to what BT have done, in the past its been done as a way to obtain new customers as its cheaper than expanding their footprint.
They don't do things like this out of charity. They do it for the same reason that the likes of Sky, BT etc offer upgrades and extra services "for free". They do it to keep their existing customers sweet and get new ones.

BTW, what have BT done recently? I don't recall them offering their entire customer base double speed.
Quote:
What maggy may not realise is things like this can be a service downgrade, a area with just about good enough utilisation to keep gamers happy will probably tip over the edge with this and areas already congested will get an effective speed reduction.
Depend how the upgrades go.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:30   #936
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Since I didn't even start this argument about what is and isn't free, clearly there's at least one other English speaking person who disagrees. I stand by my claim that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, you're getting more than what you're currently paying for and yes there's no additional charge, but as someone has already pointed out, Virgin is not a charity, they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Either it's being paid for by the money you've been paying Virgin all this time, or they're extracting the money that the upgrade costs in some other way - future monthly costs, new customers, customer loyalty, etc.
As I have said numerous times so far, I feel it's a good thing and I am in no way complaining - I'm happy to get the upgrade and I don't know why anyone wouldn't be (apart from perhaps those in over-subscribed areas who fear it might make things worse), I'm merely saying that it's not as simple as saying "Free upgrade - hurrah!".
Notice that it has been announced during Q1 of the year, which is notoriously Virgin's worst quarter for subscriber loss each year. In fact, I think only once in the last 4 or 5 years has Virgn actually gained customers. Ulterior motives and all that.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:35   #937
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Everyone gets a free lunch at my place.. I don;t charge and I certainly don't expect anything in return.. If though you've got a reason to be at my house come lunchtime it's always on offer..

The VM motives behind the upgrade is irrelavant to the customer, as stated by myself and others the only thing relevant to the customer is the contract, if VM alters that contract to give more for the same money then that more is free to us no matter what VMs intentions. I don't give two hoots if VM is using the offer to increase it's profits as to me I only care about what I contracted for..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:46   #938
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Since I didn't even start this argument about what is and isn't free, clearly there's at least one other English speaking person who disagrees.
Not arguing with you or anyone but simply stating everyone is getting a free upgrade by virtue of the the speeds doubling for the majority at no extra cost, that is a free upgrade and if anyone thinks otherwise because they are paying for a service already then the is something wrong with their reasoning.

I used your post for no other reason and it was not aimed at you.

If for instance you went into a shop and paid for a pint of milk and after a while they said take 2 pints but do not pay for the other, that means the 2nd pint would be free as you were not paying for it even though you continued to pay the original price for a single pint.

If no one can get their head around that simple analogy then the is something wrong and maybe they should go to nightschool for a few maths lessons.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 22:02   #939
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
BTW, what have BT done recently? I don't recall them offering their entire customer base double speed.
They gave them triple when they went from 8mb ADSL to 24mb ADSL2+, rumours have it they're doubling 40mb Infinity customers to 80mb.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:
If no one can get their head around that simple analogy then the is something wrong and maybe they should go to nightschool for a few maths lessons.
[mod edit: off topic argumentative comments removed]

Far as the service goes you pay a price for the service. The service is being improved at no extra cost. The service is not free. The increase in service is part of the service charge.

You don't get to keep the "extra free" if you don't pay for the initial service, therefore if you must pay to receive the "free" upgrade it is not free. It is simply increased service at the same cost. If you cannot get the "free" item without paying money, then how is it free? It is only free relative to the existing contracted speed, i.e. complimentary. In all other respects it is simply increased speed for the same money.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 22:30   #940
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

My feelings are its another headline grabber I'm currently on Sky BB at a speed of around 9mb however I was a VM 30mb BB subscriber who had an absolute nightmare with contention resulting in a connection that can best be described as dial up , it seems pointless to increase speeds when in certain areas they seem to be struggling already , hopefully they will put the network resources in to ensure this type of problem becomes a thing of the past I guess we'll have to wait and see.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 22:59   #941
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Everyone gets a free lunch at my place.. I don;t charge and I certainly don't expect anything in return.. If though you've got a reason to be at my house come lunchtime it's always on offer..
did i ever mention your a wonderful lady Kymmy
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 23:14   #942
mike24
Inactive

Services: super hub 2, 50Mbps, TiVo 500MB Tv, phone
mike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enough

Hello there,

Oops! That last email, 100Mb Broadband Announcement, was sent in error.

Please ignore this, and rest assured current Virgin Media Cable Broadband customers will be receiving some good news about their broadband in the next 2 weeks. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The Virgin Media team

Just had a email from virgin telling me to ignore their first email, they will send a new email
michael
mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 23:50   #943
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
bt will be upgrading bt infinity FTTC customers from 40/10mb to 80/20mb, this will likely be free. FTTP customers will be upgraded from 100mb to 300mb. Both of these speed upgrades will happen this year.

So BT is actually doing a hell of alot as well as rolling out fibre to 2/3rds of britain by 2015. It would be nice to see Virgin lobby the govt to allow the laying of fibre of cable on cobbled/bricked roads and to just tarmac over the trench instead of having to re-cobble/brick assuming you get consent of the residents on the road that you are digging on. This would allow virgin to roll out cable to alot more customers.
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 05:23   #944
jimexbox
Inactive

jimexbox is on a distinguished roadjimexbox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post
It would be nice to see Virgin lobby the govt to allow the laying of fibre of cable on cobbled/bricked roads and to just tarmac over the trench instead of having to re-cobble/brick assuming you get consent of the residents on the road that you are digging on. This would allow virgin to roll out cable to alot more customers.
Dig up a cobbled/brick road and tarmac the trench? Sounds like vandalism to me.
jimexbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:49   #945
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimexbox View Post
Dig up a cobbled/brick road and tarmac the trench? Sounds like vandalism to me.
Indeed

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote