Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo users, advice for Sky user?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo users, advice for Sky user?

Old 13-07-2011, 13:08   #1
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HDx4,Skyworld+Multiroom. VM 50Mb
Charliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathers
Tivo users, advice for Sky user?

Ok in this months sky magazine there is a article on "Sky suggestions" I post a snipet.

PROGRAMME RECOMMEDATIONS
<SNIP>
By getting a better understanding of what you watch on Sky, soon we'll be able to use this infomation to provide you with recommendations on other shows we think you might be very interested in.With more and more great programmes on Sky, we want our customers to find even more of the shows they love <SNIP>

Looking around it seems Sky are going to push the 1tb box and fill the "anytime" partition with shows they know you may like.

So Tivo users, is this what wishlists are? Or is this tivo suggestions, It seems, as the Sky 1tb box has a 1.5tb drive Sky will be using the 500gb for suggestions leaving the 1tb free.

Do Tivo users find this usefull or is it just anoying? Can it be turned off? Also there is no mention of extra subs for this from sky.
Charliedontsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2011, 13:25   #2
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: Tivo users, advice for Sky user?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedontsurf View Post
Ok in this months sky magazine there is a article on "Sky suggestions" I post a snipet.

PROGRAMME RECOMMEDATIONS
<SNIP>
By getting a better understanding of what you watch on Sky, soon we'll be able to use this infomation to provide you with recommendations on other shows we think you might be very interested in.With more and more great programmes on Sky, we want our customers to find even more of the shows they love <SNIP>

Looking around it seems Sky are going to push the 1tb box and fill the "anytime" partition with shows they know you may like.

So do Tivo users is this what wishlists are? Or is this tivo suggestions, It seems as the Sky 1tb box has a 1.5tb drive Sky will be using the 500gb for suggestions leaving the 1tb free.

Do Tivo users find this usefull or is it just anoying? Can it be turned off?
Depends on how much time you spend planning your viewing/recording. I found TiVo Suggestions interesting rather than essential as I plan my recording fairly meticulously, but if you don't have the time to do that it is pretty neat. And you can turn it off.
Wishlists are different. I have them set up for individual films (Blues Brothers in HD for example), directors (Spielberg, Coen brothers), actors (Clooney) and have the option of auto recording when they appear on the schedules. I find this much for useful as the Spielberg wishlist also picks up programmes about him or his films, which is great.
Sky can't do the same thing yet, no matter how they market it.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:31   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Depends on how much time you spend planning your viewing/recording. I found TiVo Suggestions interesting rather than essential as I plan my recording fairly meticulously, but if you don't have the time to do that it is pretty neat. And you can turn it off.
Wishlists are different. I have them set up for individual films (Blues Brothers in HD for example), directors (Spielberg, Coen brothers), actors (Clooney) and have the option of auto recording when they appear on the schedules. I find this much for useful as the Spielberg wishlist also picks up programmes about him or his films, which is great.
Sky can't do the same thing yet, no matter how they market it.
Wishlists and suggestions arevery useful for me and l have watched some programmes that were suggested that l would have never watched before and yes Sky cannot do the same thing and will always be chasing Virgins Tivo's tail on this and many other things.
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:33   #4
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

It's Suggestions.

I find TiVo suggestion to be fantastic, I never need have a moment when there is nothing to watch. There is one trick to getting great suggestions and that is to remember to thumbs up/down what you do/do not like.

Yes you can turn it off but seeing as it manages it's own space (can delete suggestions it's self as needed) there is no real reason to do so.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 14:03   #5
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Charliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Wishlists and suggestions arevery useful for me and l have watched some programmes that were suggested that l would have never watched before and yes Sky cannot do the same thing and will always be chasing Virgins Tivo's tail on this and many other things.

Sky obviously CAN do suggestions as long as the box has a internet connection, just the same way Tivo does an it will be implemented soon. As for marking a shows a preferred eg "thumbs up/down" I guess if they wanted to they could.

Wishlists I guess wouldn't be hard either, you can already use Sky's advanced search via internet enabled sky box or via the phoneline. You could just type in the actors/directors names and mark them to auto record if they ever appear on the epg.

Tivo is good as its pushing SKY to offer new things, just like VM have offer new things because Sky push them. We are all the winners really.....the customers.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:08   #6
Jameseh

Quote:
As for marking a shows a preferred eg "thumbs up/down" I guess if they wanted to they could.

Show me the two spare buttons on the remote that could do that please?
Old 13-07-2011, 14:14   #7
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post

They could use the red/green button quite easily, Just like when a "remind me" feature appears on screen. 1 hit of the green button puts that show into your planners. The controller doesnt need buttons re-programming to change what they do.

You just tell the box at certain times red button means "thumbs up" etc. Not hard at all as you don't need to reprograme the controller , just how the box reacts to each button press.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:16   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post

Exactly where are the extra 2 buttons going to come from.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
They could use the red/green button quite easily, Just like when a "remind me" feature appears on screen. 1 hit of the green button puts that show into your planners.
Absolutely not.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:19   #9
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Quote:
You don't need extra buttons lol. You just change how box reacts to existing button presses.

EG- In tvguide the green button goes to the planner. In trailers for new shows/episodes the green button adds that show to the planner.

1 Button 2 uses.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Absolutely not.
I'm afraid you're wrong.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:23   #10
clinteastman
Inactive

clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Sky obviously CAN do suggestions as long as the box has a internet connection, just the same way Tivo does an it will be implemented soon. As for marking a shows a preferred eg "thumbs up/down" I guess if they wanted to they could.

Wishlists I guess wouldn't be hard either, you can already use Sky's advanced search via internet enabled sky box or via the phoneline. You could just type in the actors/directors names and mark them to auto record if they ever appear on the epg.

Tivo is good as its pushing SKY to offer new things, just like VM have offer new things because Sky push them. We are all the winners really.....the customers.
Sky could do that..... If TiVo didn't hold a load of patents covering it.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:27   #11
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Sky could do that..... If TiVo didn't hold a load of patents covering it.
Tivo had "a load of patents covering PVR's and any kind of series link" but both are available on SKY.

Lets see what happens eh.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:29   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
You don't need extra buttons lol. You just change how box reacts to existing button presses.

EG- In tvguide the green button goes to the planner. In trailers for new shows/episodes the green button adds that show to the planner.

1 Button 2 uses.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

I'm afraid you're wrong.
Sorry Charlie but you are going round in a circle but are forgetting that Sky cannot do that as one Tivo owns the patents and two their remote control or set top box has not got the capabilities to do this.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:33   #13
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Sorry Charlie but you are going round in a circle but are forgetting that Sky cannot do that as one Tivo owns the patents and two their remote control or set top box has not got the capabilities to do this.
The set top does have the potential to do it lol and it would be possible to run it, can they? Will they? who knows

But a Sky box could and eventually will run some kind of "suggestions" once just like Tivo its connected to a BB network.

If your on skys broadband network you can already connect up your box and download or stream ondeamnd content, suggestions just auto download to you box via that same connection.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:34   #14
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
Tivo had "a load of patents covering PVR's and any kind of series link" but both are available on SKY.

Lets see what happens eh.
I don't think TiVo have a series link patent, the big one they have is the "Time Warp", ask Echostar.
Old 13-07-2011, 14:45   #15
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
I don't think TiVo have a series link patent, the big one they have is the "Time Warp", ask Echostar.
#

LOL, I I've just been googling it seems everyone is sueing everyone over DVRs/PVR's lol

Motorola claim to have patented the actual "epg" technology so everyone might be screwed lol.

The Motorola argument centres around the old General Instrument division, and a company called Imedia, that had created what are described as “fundamental inventions related to digital video recorders” in the mid-1990s two years before TiVo was formed and filed its own patent claims.