Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 15:17   #136
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tivo

@Pauldavies: I'm sorry, but anyone comparing Sky's On Demand functionality to VM's is smoking some real good shizzle. It's only decent when used via an Xbox when looking at movies, and there's huge chunks of content missing, more it seems than VM. Anytime+ on the actual Sky box needs you to sit and wait before you start watching it, isn't available to non Sky BB customers and still isn't available to even half of the people who are!

Youview is a good six months away from launch. This is literally weeks away for some lucky people.

Let's not forget what Sky charge for a 1Tb box with *no* extra functionality over the standard HD box. This is VM's *true* next generation platform. The only thing that's been anywhere near this revolutionary on UK cable was NTL's prototype h264 box, which never saw the light of day. Everything else has been a cheap cop-out.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2010, 15:26   #137
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
@Pauldavies: I'm sorry, but anyone comparing Sky's On Demand functionality to VM's is smoking some real good shizzle. It's only decent when used via an Xbox when looking at movies, and there's huge chunks of content missing, more it seems than VM. Anytime+ on the actual Sky box needs you to sit and wait before you start watching it, isn't available to non Sky BB customers and still isn't available to even half of the people who are!

Youview is a good six months away from launch. This is literally weeks away for some lucky people.
I didn't compare it directly, I said its available elsewhere. And it is. No matter how incomplete it might be. £200 for TiVo doesn't improve VM's on demand offering

You have to wait a good 5-10 seconds before you can watch OD on V+ (plus x amount of extra time for the interface to catch up with what you want it to do) - people don't complain about that. But they see fit to slate Sky's progressive download system because it has the word "download" in it.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Quote:
This is VM's *true* next generation platform. The only thing that's been anywhere near this revolutionary on UK cable was NTL's prototype h264 box, which never saw the light of day. Everything else has been a cheap cop-out.
Agree with that, but it's come a little too late for me to get excited about paying a huge wedge for it. If the original TVDrive / whateveritwascalledonntl was a TiVo, I'd probably have had no issue stumping up the £200. I was a TiVo user back then, and I loved it.

All these years later and it doesn't excite me enough to drop so much money on it - Virgin are asking for more or similar than I paid for my Series 1 TiVo nearly 10 years later.
Old 01-12-2010, 15:26   #138
ShadowTD
Inactive

ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to get into a slanging match on the internet, but would you prefer it was done via another 'tenner a month' like Sky seem to do (see my previous maths example)? Don't forget, that's what TiVO originally charged in the UK for the EPG + recommendations engine. Admittedly, cable has the EPG in place but there's a lot more going on to power TiVO.
Old 01-12-2010, 15:27   #139
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
Don't remember saying anything about a Freeview HD box?
Nope your right, you said "freesat HD", point still stands.
Quote:
The core functionality is all available elsewhere. On the same platform and the competing platforms (Sky now, Freeview soon in the Youview guise) PVR, On-Demand, 2/3 tuners, HD, 3D.

It's the bells and whistles that fall into the nothing comes close category. And in my opinion, the bells and whistles just aren't worth the price.
TiVo have very specific functionality not available elsewhere (the recommendation system for one), that's the point of them using TiVo for middleware.

To boil it down to "PVR, On-Demand, 2/3 tuners, HD, 3D" doesn't take into account the experience of actually using those features. That's like saying why would you buy a Jaguar over a Fiat, both have engines and get you from a to b, it doesn't take into account the experience of getting there.

If you don't think it's worth the price that's fine, I see your point, but surly you see why somebody would want it over the competition, somebody would want to pay the price?
Old 01-12-2010, 15:31   #140
pauldavies83
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Nope your right, you said "freesat HD", point still stands.
None of my posts in this thread contain the word Freesat - I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Quote:
If you don't think it's worth the price that's fine, I see your point, but surly you see why somebody would want it over the competition, somebody would want to pay the price?
I see your point too, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 01-12-2010, 15:35   #141
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
None of my posts in this thread contain the word Freesat - I think you are confusing me with someone else.
Yes your right, sorry about that, you replyed to something I wrote to somebody else thus confusing my tiny mind!

Quote:
I see your point too, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.
Lets just say we're both right.
Old 01-12-2010, 15:37   #142
pauldavies83
Inactive

Quote:
I don't want to get into a slanging match on the internet, but would you prefer it was done via another 'tenner a month' like Sky seem to do (see my previous maths example)? Don't forget, that's what TiVO originally charged in the UK for the EPG + recommendations engine. Admittedly, cable has the EPG in place but there's a lot more going on to power TiVO.
TiVo charged me £199 for a lifetime subscription and I bought the box for £99 - and that was nearly 10 years ago. Surely times have moved on enough to absorb the cost better than VM are suggesting with their initial pricing? I think that's my main argument.
Old 01-12-2010, 15:38   #143
ShadowTD
Inactive

That would have been a long time after launch. I was in on TiVO's UK launch and they were £399.

With a single analogue tuner. :shock:
Old 01-12-2010, 15:41   #144
pauldavies83
Inactive

Quote:
Yes your right, sorry about that, you replyed to something I wrote to somebody else thus confusing my tiny mind!
No worries

Quote:
Lets just say we're both right.
OK, I like being right

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
That would have been a long time after launch. I was in on TiVO's UK launch and they were £399.

With a single analogue tuner. :shock:
It was still 10 years ago :shock:

Sky+ was launched at £x (around £300 if memory serves) and £10 a month. It's free now (subject to you being a Sky subscriber)
Old 01-12-2010, 15:47   #145
ShadowTD
Inactive

Yep, £299 plus £10/month. VM's TiVO pricing is well in line with this, well under in fact. Forget the old 'you own the box' argument - without a Sky sub, a Sky+ box is about as much use as a £40 Maplin FTA receiver - less so in some people's eyes. So I don't understand why you think this pricing is any worse than the competition, and in fact not quite reasonable?

Yeah, the TiVO launch was a *long* time ago. I've wished many times over the years that I'd bought one... Not going to hang around now!
Old 01-12-2010, 15:48   #146
fugu
Inactive

fugu is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo Box, a bit ugly, but who cares

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...-review-912240

The UI is soo much better looking than what we have at the moment, IPTV is the way forward imo, its nice to see VM embrace it.
Old 01-12-2010, 16:20   #147
pauldavies83
Inactive

Quote:
Yep, £299 plus £10/month. VM's TiVO pricing is well in line with this, well under in fact. Forget the old 'you own the box' argument - without a Sky sub, a Sky+ box is about as much use as a £40 Maplin FTA receiver - less so in some people's eyes. So I don't understand why you think this pricing is any worse than the competition, and in fact not quite reasonable?
Because that launch was how many years ago? 8 years ago (Sky+ this is)?

Today's Sky+ price is £0, and £0 a month (for TV subscribers). My point was that this is the price today's TiVo commands, as all it has over the TiVo 10 years ago is internet-connected apps and a back-in-time EPG (VOD and multiple tuners have come from the platform advancing, not TiVo). Not a big enough jump to reset the pricing to 2000 levels.

VM could be missing a chance to take Sky subscribers here, and big time. I wouldn't move from Sky for this price if I were a Sky customer, that's for sure. It doesn't give enough benefit for the price asked.

Quote:
Yeah, the TiVO launch was a *long* time ago. I've wished many times over the years that I'd bought one... Not going to hang around now!
When the price is more reasonable, I'll be with you. TiVo really is very good, and its a shame I got rid of mine all those years ago when I did. The price is the only issue for me.
Old 01-12-2010, 16:41   #148
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Update from the sofa
Quote:
some addition faqs below, in case anyone was wondering: are there going to be any deals for vip customers? - we're working on that - we'll release details in the coming weeks
we're releasing it with two tuners, however there will be three in the new year. Does this mean a new box or does it already have three and we'll just be doing a software update to enable it? - this will be a software update
will we be making any changes to our v+ and v hd software? - we won't be stopping development on the existing boxes - both products will coexist for the time being,
when will tivo be demoed in our retail shops so people can see it in action? - initially it will be demoed in the oxford st and westfield stores only across jan/feb 2011, all other retail stores will be enabled with the roll-out plan still being worked through for when these will start.
any news on prices for those of us who already subscribe? - there is additional pricing, including discounts for various groups of existing customers which will be revealed in the coming weeks
when tivo first launches with two tuners will be able to record two programmes at once, or only be able to record one and watch one other at the same time? - it will be able to record two, but you will have to 'watch' one of them, until the third tuner is activated, which will be early 2011
Old 01-12-2010, 16:44   #149
pauldavies83
Inactive

Cross fingers on VIP/existing customer deals then

MediaBoy's rumoured pricing sounded good (although maybe a touch unrealistic)
Old 01-12-2010, 16:50   #150
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Update from the sofa

hahahaha you gotta love the

"we're releasing it with two tuners, however there will be three in the new year. Does this mean a new box or does it already have three and we'll just be doing a software update to enable it? - this will be a software update"

This means the software is not ready yet. It is not fully working and imo will be released with beta software

Closed Thread