Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My router won't work since upgrade.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

My router won't work since upgrade.

Old 23-08-2009, 01:35   #1
Janet
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, TV - XL, Broadband - L
Janet is an unknown quantity at this point
My router won't work since upgrade.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I have been with NTL/Virgin for several years. For that last couple I have had a silver Samsung set top box connected to my computer with an ethernet cable which in turn was connected to my Buffalo Airstation Turbo G router....and all was well with the world, wireless access on laptops around the house.

On Friday I had an upgrade to a shiny new black V+HD box, however I was told that I now needed a modem as you cannot connect direct to this box. The VM man kindly also fitted the modem and we checked my internet connection...which would not work!

VM man said it was probably my router causing the problem and as I was his last job on Friday pm I could see he was anxious to get going. I disconnected my router and plugged my ethernet cable directly into my computer and internet access was restored....well to one pc anyway!

I have spent all day trying to work out how to get my router to work again. I am guessing it has something to do with the fact my ip address has changed with the install of the new modem.

I have tried every combination of rebooting all items concerned. The best I can get with the router connected is being able to access the Airstation configuration page by typing the router's ip address into the url field.

I have downloaded the complete router user manual and followed the instructions to the best of my ability....but still no connection.

Any suggestions as to where I might be going wrong?

Many Thanks Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2009, 01:38   #2
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: My router won't work since upgrade.

If you have rebooted everything in particular order Modem > Router > PC and no luck then my suggestion would be to restore the router to factory settings. You need to ensure the connection type is set to dynamic in the router.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 01:45   #3
Janet
Inactive

Thanks Ben
Have already tried restoring router to factory settings with no joy. Can you explain how I would "ensure connection type is set to dynamic in the router" Please.

I am not a natural computer whizz although I do follow insrtuctions very well...lol

Thanks
Old 23-08-2009, 01:47   #4
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Thanks Ben
Have already tried restoring router to factory settings with no joy. Can you explain how I would "ensure connection type is set to dynamic in the router" Please.

I am not a natural computer whizz although I do follow insrtuctions very well...lol

Thanks
There should be a setting in the router for connection type which needs to be set to dynamic or 'automatically obtain IP address'
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 01:48   #5
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

It's simple, the router still has the MAC address of the old modem stored - so you need to restore to factory settings again, hook it up to the router, power both off - power both on - and wait. That should sort it out
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 01:58   #6
Janet
Inactive

Ahh Thanks, but unfortunately I did try that setting first.....The settings that it comes up with are the ip address and subnet mask for the router.

I also tried doing a manual setup, as I took note of all the network connection details (ip address, subnet mask, DHCP Server etc) from when I do have internet access when the computer is wired straight to the modem with the ethernet cable. but that didn't work either.

Anyway....It is 2am now and I am cross eyed!....will come back tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:58   #7
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
It's simple, the router still has the MAC address of the old modem stored - so you need to restore to factory settings again, hook it up to the router, power both off - power both on - and wait. That should sort it out
Where does a router store the modem MAC address? I have had three different routers, and never noticed once a storing of the modem MAC address.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 09:06   #8
PaulH225
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Vivid 200 Broadband, TV XL & Tivo, Phone L
PaulH225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Ahh Thanks, but unfortunately I did try that setting first.....The settings that it comes up with are the ip address and subnet mask for the router.

I also tried doing a manual setup, as I took note of all the network connection details (ip address, subnet mask, DHCP Server etc) from when I do have internet access when the computer is wired straight to the modem with the ethernet cable. but that didn't work either.

Anyway....It is 2am now and I am cross eyed!....will come back tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.
Ok, if it works with the computer connected direct to the modem then you need to reboot the modem. The modem will only allow one piece of equipment at a time - i.e. the computer OR the router, to get it to forget the currently connected piece of equipment just reboot the modem. Once it's settled and all the lights are in their normal place, plug in the router (no need to reset to factory defaults), might need to reboot it - just unplug the power and plug it back in again. Then plug your computer into the router and assuming everything went well you'll be online..

You can't force the WAN IP on the router as it must be given by the DHCP server - so the IP your computer got direct from the modem will not work if you plug the router into the modem.

I hope that helps.
PaulH225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 09:30   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Err, right.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:43   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Most routers like my Edimax have the capability to clone the computers MAC which the modem then learns and transmits to Virgins servers to get an IP via the DORA process, but no router would need the modem MAC address for any reason that I am aware of.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 23:14   #11
Janet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH225 View Post
Ok, if it works with the computer connected direct to the modem then you need to reboot the modem. The modem will only allow one piece of equipment at a time - i.e. the computer OR the router, to get it to forget the currently connected piece of equipment just reboot the modem. Once it's settled and all the lights are in their normal place, plug in the router (no need to reset to factory defaults), might need to reboot it - just unplug the power and plug it back in again. Then plug your computer into the router and assuming everything went well you'll be online..

You can't force the WAN IP on the router as it must be given by the DHCP server - so the IP your computer got direct from the modem will not work if you plug the router into the modem.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for your suggestion Paul....I followed them to the letter, unfortunately, inspite of both my pc (connected by ethernet cable) and the laptop (wireless) saying they are both connected the only web pages I can access are the Airstation Router's configuration pages.

Having read the manual (several times!), followed all instructions and examined every configuration page in minute detail the only concrete information that I can gather is that my router cannot connect to the DHCP server to get an IP address inspite of the "automatically obtain IP address" box being ticked.

Just a thought...Do I need a PPPoE connection (not really sure what that is!) but I know i haven't got one!

If anyone has the time...or indeed the patience you can go to http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/
and download the manual that I have been studying constantly. It shows the setup pages that I can access page by page and what info is needed.

The router I have is the WHR-G54S:Wireless G 125 High-Speed Broadband Router and Access point.

Thanks for advice...but hope fading fast now! I need sleep!