Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)
Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2009, 15:14   #1486
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
You dont even know they would!!! Get a grip!
He said should they add them at a loss just to have them, and you replied saying they should.

He's making a point that getting the channels is not as simple as "people want HD, lets get the HD channels!" but it has to be a business decision where it makes financial sense. You're ignoring that and just repeating "BUT THEY HAVE TO GET HD!" when they don't have to, they're doing fine without it.
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2009, 15:41   #1487
akki007
Inactive

Services: TiVo XL, L BB, L Phone
akki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to all

But can they afford to wait any longer? Can they let Sky build too much of a divide in HD? I don't think they can. In a few years time, more and more people will have HD TVs, by then if they still haven't done anything it could be too late.
Old 23-06-2009, 15:49   #1488
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki007 View Post
But can they afford to wait any longer? Can they let Sky build too much of a divide in HD? I don't think they can. In a few years time, more and more people will have HD TVs, by then if they still haven't done anything it could be too late.
And do you know the real reason poeple will have hd tv? this might sound stupid to me, but if you go to the shops to buy a tv jsut because your want the basic terristal channels ie channel 1 to 5 you get now freeview, maybe freesat and hd as part of the package so does that mean because loads of hd tv have been sold that loads of people want hd no it means they want a new tv but it coms part of the package. when are people goign to accept only a select minioty of people want hd, myself included hence why i have always said if you want hd go to sky which i will for hd soon enouigh but i will still keep virgin because they will get hd eventally and the vod is far superior.

if virgin could not hold of any longer they would be having a lot of peopel leaving but all resultws suggest otherwise they are inceasing for tv not descreasing so hd is not a pirioty in that sense becaus ehtey can hold out.
Old 23-06-2009, 17:00   #1489
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

[QUOTE=TheDon;34819801]He said should they add them at a loss just to have them, and you replied saying they should.

/QUOTE]

No i didn't!
Old 23-06-2009, 17:07   #1490
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

[quote=Mobes;34819891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
He said should they add them at a loss just to have them, and you replied saying they should.

/QUOTE]

No i didn't!
You refuse to reply so i would take that as you think they should, when you are saying they should add them at any cost mean thye should add a lostr
Old 23-06-2009, 17:14   #1491
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Setanta Sports News to closed at 6pm tonight.

Racing UK to stay on air.

The rest may go at 6pm as well.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...administration
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 23-06-2009, 17:15   #1492
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2escape View Post
Can Virgin afford not to? Sky are offering HD Boxes now if you buy TVs in Tesco. Its time for Virgin to either shut up or put up. It doesn't matter if its one channel or 50 then need HD programming and not On demand HD. While HD on demand is nice its not what we are after now. What is worrying for Virgin is that Living there own channel may not end up of Virgin in HD. This head in the sand approach isnt going to wash for much longer. Business deals can be done quick if they want to.
[QUOTE=Andrewcrawford23;34819896]
Quote:
You refuse to reply so i would take that as you think they should, when you are saying they should add them at any cost mean thye should add a lostr
Exactly, especially when his response to the question was "can they afford not to?" which definitely implies they should get them at any cost, regardless of if it actually makes commercial sense.
Old 23-06-2009, 17:30   #1493
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

[QUOTE=Andrewcrawford23;34819896]
Quote:
Then don't presume.
Old 23-06-2009, 18:43   #1494
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Setanta Sports News to closed at 6pm tonight.

Racing UK to stay on air.

The rest may go at 6pm as well.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...administration
Although I'm not a sports fan, I am very sorry to hear that Setanta could not be saved. If nothing else, Setanta provided the viewing public with a choice and diversity of sports coverage and the potential to keep prices for sports channels at reasonable rates through competition. Let's hope that ESPN, and possibly others, can fill the void.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Old 23-06-2009, 18:51   #1495
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Racing UK to cost £20per-month - Still talking to Virgin.

Quote:
The channel is also talking to Virgin Media about how to continue to supply cable customers.
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...002784.article

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

ESPN America is in talks with other platforms about securing its distribution after the collapse of Setanta's operations in Great Britain this afternoon.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...-collapse.html
Old 23-06-2009, 18:51   #1496
call08
Inactive

Services: V+ xl broaband 8.2 meg service
call08 is an unknown quantity at this point

20 pound for that channel thats gotta be a joke who would pay that much for it
Old 23-06-2009, 18:55   #1497
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

People who subscribed to Setanta Sports through Virgin Media or BT Vision will receive pro-rata refunds, it has been confirmed.

NOTE: This will not be for Virgin Media XL viewers.
Old 23-06-2009, 18:55   #1498
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by call08 View Post
20 pound for that channel thats gotta be a joke who would pay that much for it
I thought this at first, but after reading the article, for those that love horse racing there are some good incentives for subscribing to the channel.

I just hope ESPN don't adopt a similar price.
Old 23-06-2009, 18:56   #1499
rodster
Inactive

rodster is an unknown quantity at this point

Setanta Q&A

Q. Why have Setanta stopped broadcasting some channels?
A. Due to, circumstances outside of our control some Setanta channels are no longer available on any TV service including Virgin Media, Sky, Top Up and BT Vision.
Q. What sports channels are available on Virgin Media?
A. Virgin Media is still the place to be for sport and our customers can still enjoy all the best sporting action around.
Here’s a breakdown of other sports channels available on Virgin Media:

On top of the premium channels above, Virgin TV customers can also tune into:
Sky Sports News – available to all TV customers
At The races – available to all TV customers
Eurosport & Eurosport 2 available to L and XL TV customers
Extreme Sports - available to XL TV customers
Plus this summer Virgin TV will have all the action from Wimbledon on BBC iPlayer – so you won’t miss a single game, set or match.
Q: I subscribed to the Setanta bundle. Will I still get ESPN America?
A: If you have size M or L TV and would like to continue to get ESPN America you just need to give us a call on 150 – free from any Virgin Media phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and we can add it to your TV pack for £10 per month. If you have XL TV and subscribed to it previously, you don’t need to do anything, the channel will still be available to you.
Q: Will I be able to watch the football on ESPN?
A: We’re currently in talks with EPSN about their purchase of the Premier League content previously owned by Setanta. Right now we're not able to confirm whether customers with ESPN America as part of their channel bundle will get access to the Barclays Premier League Content that Setanta previously had the rights for.
Q. Will the channels be back on the air in the foreseeable future?
A. At the moment we’re unable to comment on when, or if the Setanta channels will begin broadcasting again as it’s out of our control.
Q. Where can I watch the sports events that were on the Setanta channels?
A. We are working with Setanta and ESPN to understand where the content will be available. Due to licensing agreements, some content shown on Setanta may not be available elsewhere, but should it become available on other channels, we’ll be working hard to make sure the content is available to our customers.
Q. Will Virgin Media be reducing the price of its TV packages?
A. Any customers paying for the Setanta Sports pack will no longer have any subscription fees to pay.
As Setanta Sports was included at no extra cost in TV Size XL there will be no changes to pricing for this package.
The XL TV pack still represents unbeatable value - don’t forget the XL TV pack has over 160 TV channels including Sky Sports News, At The races, Eurosport, Eurosport 2 and Extreme Sports. Plus, all XL TV customers have Music on demand and the 1000s of shows in TV Choice on demand included at no extra cost too.
Old 23-06-2009, 19:10   #1500
sakiblateef
Inactive

sakiblateef will become famous soon enoughsakiblateef will become famous soon enoughsakiblateef will become famous soon enough

Only ever subscribed to Setanta for the Indian Premiere League IPL. Anyone know whats happening with the 5 year IPL contract now that Setanta has closed down?
Closed Thread