Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Really Stupid Sky User

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Really Stupid Sky User

Old 02-10-2008, 21:02   #1
safcjames
Inactive

safcjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Really Stupid Sky User

Well, thats me. I have Sky TV for the first time and really not a clue what I have.

Basically I only wanted the free channels and I am happy enough with my lot as it is now but currently I only have BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 3, BBC 4, ITV 1, ITV 2, ITV3.

I was under the impression that I would also get a few other "lesser" channels or is this not the case?

Also I noticed that I have very few channels listed. None of the sports once, news, movies etc. Basically only a slack handful are even in the listings.

Any help or confirmation that I have everything I should have would be greatly appreciated.
safcjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2008, 21:06   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Really Stupid Sky User

When you say you have SKY TV, do you mean you'vr had a sky disk/box installed?? or a sky FTA card, or a freesat box???
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 21:08   #3
safcjames
Inactive

Erm, I've got a sky box, it's pointing at a satelite but I don't have a card. Does this help?

Sky One, Sky Two, Paramount etc are in the listing but not available (obviously). But obviously huge amounts are missing.
Old 02-10-2008, 21:10   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Without a card you shouldn;t get anything apart from a few channels, To get sky's Free to Air channels you need to buy a FTA card off them for a one off fee of £20...

This WEBSITE has a lot more info for you
Old 02-10-2008, 21:14   #5
safcjames
Inactive

My major concern was that so few channels are even listed (only 2 and a half pages in the "All Channels" section) but as I understand from you once I put one of these cards in then they should all be listed even if they aren't available without a subscription is this correct?
Old 02-10-2008, 21:25   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Maybe, maybe not, Not got sky myself so can't confirm if the box shows encrypted channels in the epg or not...

But looking at the list on the website I googled you should be able to see all of the ones marked FTA and with the card you should get all the ones marked FTV as well...

Check the signal strength of the channels you have, also who put up the dish??? I ask because sky doesn;t just consist of one sat and although you can recieve a few channels if you;re slightly out with the dish pointing you will get some channels but not all..
Old 02-10-2008, 21:46   #7
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

A Sky box will list 100's of channels in the EPG even without a card, I know, I have one upstairs!

Also goes through them all when you go up/down through the channels, it's a right pain as most of them say "Insert your viewing card"

But you should get (off the top of my head) BBC1,2,3 & 4, ITV1,2,3 & 4, C4 and then not a lot till the higher 100 channel numbers.
A few music channels, shopping channels, CBBC, CITV.
One thing you wont get Channel 5 without a card.

Is this a new install or have you just got a box & plugged it into an existing dish? If so it could be the dish is out of alignment and needs tweaking.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 21:50   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Sky or Freesat should still give multiple channels and not just the few mentioned hence the "who's installed the dish question"

...but as the OP's mentioned the paramount channel then more likely to be SKY.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

One of the things I like about my DGstation digi receiver, I can just scan the channels and tell it to bypass any encrypted ones