Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | which netgear to buy?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

which netgear to buy?

Old 28-02-2008, 18:50   #1
london_lasher
Inactive

london_lasher is an unknown quantity at this point
which netgear to buy?

hi all,

have been using broadband from virgin media and before that from telewest in N10 area of london with no problems for 3yrs. i am now looking to move my internet connection to another room due to an impending arrival.

talking to the sales line @ virgin media this will cost me £75 to hae a new point installed but they have suggested buy a netgear wireles router instead for £30/40, then just move my PC into the new room.

Can anyone recommend a particualr model? is the model i need dependant on my type of connection or is it fairly standard?

Many thanks,

Chris.
london_lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2008, 20:11   #2
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Re: which netgear to buy?

Hi,
any DSL router will do, which connection speed do you have?
I have a buffalo router that is on the 20meg connection and it seems fine excellent signal and has never dropped a connection in over a year

i did have a netgear one before and the signal was rubbish couldn't connect more than 10mts away.

i would certainly buy one that has got 54g with something like speedboost that up's it to 108mbs or 125mbs as the standard one's i have found don't pull the full 20meg.

hth
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 20:26   #3
xspeedyx

This is a good one nit netgear tho but excellent reviews from users

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
Old 29-02-2008, 11:16   #4
london_lasher
Inactive

many thanks for help. i am on 4mb which is more than sufficient for my needs.

My overriding concern will be strength of the signal as the walls in the flat are VERY thick.
Old 29-02-2008, 18:00   #5
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

If your new PC position is going to be anywhere near the door from it's existing home, it might be easier to leave the modem where it is and get a long CAT5 cable and run it along the skirting board and around the door frame.
If the new PC position will be further away, I guess you could stick a wireless router on the end of the cable so the RF signal doesn't need to make it through your thick walls.

Congrats on the impending arrival!
Or did you mean that the MiL is coming to stay? :-)
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 19:05   #6
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_lasher View Post
many thanks for help. i am on 4mb which is more than sufficient for my needs.

My overriding concern will be strength of the signal as the walls in the flat are VERY thick.
if thats the case i would go for something like a d-link dir-615 or dir 635 esp the latter as they have a much longer and stronger signal than most
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 22:57   #7
london_lasher
Inactive

thanks for the advice.

another quick question - does my PC have to be wifi enabled or something? how can i tell if it is or it isn't?

and if it isn't is there an easy (and simple) way to get it sorted?

apols for the probably basic questions.

chris,
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51   #8
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

You could try a homeplug, if you're worried about a wireless signal

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote