Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Remote Desktop help.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Remote Desktop help.

Old 16-10-2007, 16:48   #1
kryogenik

Question Wireless Remote Desktop help.

Just set up a wireless network at home with a Netgear WGR614 v5.
Both laptop (Wireless - Vista Home Premium) and desktop (hard wired - XP Pro) are conected to www.
I'm also hard wired from the laptop's ethernet to the desktop's 2nd ethernet card for remote desktop.
What I want to do is remote desktop from the laptop to the desktop wirelessly via the router to be completely wireless on the laptop.
The current RDP settings just throw up a 'cant find computer on network' message when I disconnect the ethernet cable and try to connect to remote desktop, which I fully expected.
This is my first attempt at a wireless network so it's been a bit of a learning curve. Having to reboot the STB, router and main machine everytime I make a router config change is a nightmare! Unless I do this, I'm stuck on the NTL computer provisioning page..

Anyway, is there any RDC experts out there? I don't want to VNC or whatever, I just need this to be local.
I'm sure it's something to do with port forwarding, but I'm a bit lost in the router's manager page.
The 2nd ethernet card on the PC is now effectively redundant when I disconnect the cable. I'm wondering if my problem is going to stem from this somehow.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2007, 16:54   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wireless Remote Desktop help.

Er your laptop is running wireless, but you also have it connected wired One or other please.

Your wireless network will need to be in the correct mode - something to do with ad-hoc versus infrastucture. Get the wrong one and the router can only pass stuff to the net, not between computers in the local network.

Your PC that you want to allow the remote desktop in windows is going to need to permit such connections via its firewall. Under My Computer Properties > remote make sure the allow remote connections is active.

You should be able to just use the inbuilt windows remote connection: Start > Accessories > Remote Desktip Connection (at least it is that in XP Pro)
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 17:39   #3
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Er your laptop is running wireless, but you also have it connected wired One or other please.
Laptop was previously hard wired for remote. Now I have wireless working, but still need remote, so it is still hard wired until I work it out, that's all.

Quote:

Your PC that you want to allow the remote desktop in windows is going to need to permit such connections via its firewall. Under My Computer Properties > remote make sure the allow remote connections is active.

You should be able to just use the inbuilt windows remote connection: Start > Accessories > Remote Desktip Connection (at least it is that in XP Pro)
Yes, but Remote is already working on both machines. Desktop is gateway, laptop is client. That's not the problem.
I need to know how to make a wireless remote connection.
The laptop is running Vista Home Premium.

Quote:
Your wireless network will need to be in the correct mode - something to do with ad-hoc versus infrastucture. Get the wrong one and the router can only pass stuff to the net, not between computers in the local network.
Right, now that I've heard of. I'll look into that, ta.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

I can't see a setting in the router's management to choose ad hoc or infrastructure unfortunately. Looked into the wireless network properties too with no luck so far.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

I'm actually wireless from the laptop via remote now as I type so problem solved.

I just typed the IP address of the desktop into the connection box.
Never had guessed it would be that simple.
Old 16-10-2007, 19:32   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Nice to know you solved it
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 20:12   #5
kryogenik

There's an occasional annoying lag though on the remote side. I'm guessing that is only to be expected.
Can't beat wired at the end of the day - shame it's not as practical.