Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Last day to get out of your contract due to the price rise.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Overnight software updates

Old 09-11-2016, 15:56   #1
pgwill
Inactive

pgwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Overnight software updates

I switched from Virgin TV to Sky a number of years ago. The reason for the switch was that I record a lot of live American sport which is generally broadcast from midnight GMT onwards. The recordings were regularly screwed up by Virgin doing software updates. This has not been a problem with Sky.

As I have Virgin broadband (which I want to keep), it would be cost effective for me to bundle Virgin TV with it - but no good if I can't rely on overnight recording.

I wondered if anyone has experienced problems with updates, or whether it appears Virgin have managed drag their technology in to line with Sky
pgwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2016, 16:45   #2
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Overnight software updates

I record all NFL games on sky and not had problem so far.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 17:43   #3
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Our SkyQ rebooted at 2.00am a couple of days ago after an update, so it's not just VM who choose the early hours.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 20:30   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Generally the TiVos get software updates once or twice a year, and we try to avoid updating boxes when they are in use (but that isn't always possible).

If you are referring to the problems you reported in this thread, that was a software fault that happened when the channel line-up changed. It doesn't happen on any box model that VM install these days.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote