Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Generic WR214E router problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

trying to link two pcs together

Old 24-04-2007, 08:43   #1
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice
trying to link two pcs together

Hi

I got 2 pcs which I want to connect via a x-over cable. I plugged them and they pick up each other but they dont seem to aquire an Ip address. I have made sure that they both obtain an IP address automatically.

any ideas why this two are not linking? both are win xp.
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2007, 08:48   #2
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: trying to link two pcs together

Assign the ip's automatically?
Old 24-04-2007, 08:52   #3
funkyCable

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

sorry I meant that I made sure that both have the option "Obtain an IP address automatically" which they do but they still dont seem to be to be able to aquire an ip address as it waits quiet a long time on this part of connection and then displays the limited connectivity error message.
Old 24-04-2007, 08:56   #4
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Its because you don't have a DHCP server to provide the IP addresses. If you are just connecting the PC's to each other then you will need to manually assign them IP addresses.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 09:23   #5
funkyCable

oops forgot about that i'm so used to going through a router

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

i managed to connect these two pcs together last night using wifi but now that I am trying to connect them using a wire it does not seem to what to share the files. I can see both pcs on my Workgroups but when I double click on the pc icon I get that it is not accessible and that I may not have permission. any ideas what I should look for?
Old 24-04-2007, 09:39   #6
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Its because you don't have a DHCP server to provide the IP addresses. If you are just connecting the PC's to each other then you will need to manually assign them IP addresses.
Except they're XP so as long as the NICs are set to assign an IP address automatically, if a DHCP server isn't contactable, they'll assign their own IP addresses (169.x.x.x)

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyCable View Post
oops forgot about that i'm so used to going through a router

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

i managed to connect these two pcs together last night using wifi but now that I am trying to connect them using a wire it does not seem to what to share the files. I can see both pcs on my Workgroups but when I double click on the pc icon I get that it is not accessible and that I may not have permission. any ideas what I should look for?
Go to the advanced tab in the windows firewall (even if you've got it turned off, as it lies) and you'll see a list of network connections to apply the firewall to.
Make sure your local area connection on both machines is unticked.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 09:47   #7
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Are they in the SAME workgroup? Also, are you using the same user id and password on both PCs?
Old 24-04-2007, 09:51   #8
funkyCable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post
Except they're XP so as long as the NICs are set to assign an IP address automatically, if a DHCP server isn't contactable, they'll assign their own IP addresses (169.x.x.x)

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Go to the advanced tab in the windows firewall (even if you've got it turned off, as it lies) and you'll see a list of network connections to apply the firewall to.
Make sure your local area connection on both machines is unticked.
I have done this but now it is saying that I cannot access the workgroup on the one pc so I cannot even see the pcs and on the other pc I see the two pcs on the workgroup but I cannot connect.
Old 24-04-2007, 10:50   #9
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Can you ping one PC from the other?
Do it from both PC's

Have you got a publicly shared folder on both PC's?
Old 24-04-2007, 13:12   #10
funkyCable

I cant ping them. I trying ping each other on each machine and just got a request timed out. I do have shared folder on the one pc.
Old 24-04-2007, 14:52   #11
Xaccers
Inactive

You're pinging their ip addresses not their computer names

ok, do an ipconfig /all on each machine (from cmd prompt), make sure that their ip addresses are of the same range, so 169.x.x.x with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0

Actually, if they're 169.x.x.x addresses you can post their ipconfig information.
Old 24-04-2007, 16:46   #12
funkyCable

pc 1 : ip address: 169.123.1.2
subnet : 255.0.0.0

pc 2 : ip address: 169.123.1.1
subnet : 255.0.0.0

still have the same problem cannot ping them
Old 24-04-2007, 16:54   #13
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Firstly, note if any link lights(where present) are lit on the back of the network cards. If you do have indicator lights and they aren't lit, you either have a faulty cable or network adapter.

Then disable all firewalls on each PC.

Set up both PC's with Static IP adresses

1st PC
IP address 192.168.0.1
S/N Mask 255.255.255.0

2nd PC
IP Adress 192.168.0.2
S/N Mask 255.255.255.0

on each PC in turn try to ping 127.0.0.1, this is an "IP loopback" address that will verify that the IP stack is working, then try pinging the machines own IP address, only after those two ping tests have worked move on to pinging PC 1 from PC 2(and vice versa).

Once you've got basic IP connectivity we can move on to other things
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 16:55   #14
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

ok, set one PC to an IP of 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the other to 192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 then try again

[edit] Jon T just beat me to it heh
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 17:12   #15
funkyCable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Firstly, note if any link lights(where present) are lit on the back of the network cards. If you do have indicator lights and they aren't lit, you either have a faulty cable or network adapter.

Then disable all firewalls on each PC.

Set up both PC's with Static IP adresses

1st PC
IP address 192.168.0.1
S/N Mask 255.255.255.0

2nd PC
IP Adress 192.168.0.2
S/N Mask 255.255.255.0

on each PC in turn try to ping 127.0.0.1, this is an "IP loopback" address that will verify that the IP stack is working, then try pinging the machines own IP address, only after those two ping tests have worked move on to pinging PC 1 from PC 2(and vice versa).

Once you've got basic IP connectivity we can move on to other things
I set up as sugested and the results are as follows

pc 1: pings 127.0.0.1 Excellant
pings 192.168.0.1 Excellant

PC 2: pings 127.0.0.1 Excellant
pings 192.168.0.2 Failed

I did an ipconfig on pc2 and found that the ipconfig reading did not match what I had entered in on the local area connection properties. perhaps this is why it does not work. I trid disabling and enabling the connection as well as repairing but still the same answer.