Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | samsung mini galaxy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Data usage

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12   #1
bigfuz78
Inactive

bigfuz78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Data usage

Hi there just got a message warning me about data usage, what does this mean as i have just upgraded package on friday to Premiere £23

Unlimited calls to Virgin Mobile numbers
Unlimited Mobile Web
2500 minutes
Unlimited texts
Unlimited texts to Virgin Mobile numbers
Unlimited minutes to landlines

just wondering what data usage means, as was a little concerned when it came up with warning sign of data usage,
bigfuz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2012, 15:39   #2
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Data usage

Virgins unlimited data = 10GB
Three's unlimited data = unlimited

Don't think anything has changed in the last month regarding their data limits.

You have obviously used more data than VM want you to use. Not sure if the change of packages recently could have caused problems.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:07   #3
bigfuz78
Inactive

I havent as i only upgraded to the premier deal on friday morning. I did watch the manchester derby on my phone. Surly this dosent have much effect on my data as its meant to be unlimited data allowance and it says nowhere about a 10gb data cap
Old 11-12-2012, 18:17   #4
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Not sure then. That little bit of streaming wouldn't take you anywhere near 10GB of usage.

Hopefully someone else will come along who can give you more info. You could try Virgins community forum too, they have a section dedicated to mobile.

When I was looking at data plans a few months ago it was confirmed the unlimited had a fair usage amount of 10GB, just not sure if that still stands. Apart from mobile reception being bad, it was another reason for me to move to Three.

Quote:
For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 10GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s) on our network between midday and midnight.
Old 13-12-2012, 22:55   #5
bigfuz78
Inactive

just rung them up yesterday and the woman said to me it is unlimited, if it goes over 8gig they will take any charges off my account if they are incurred, so that is good, has anyone else rung them up and had the same answer?
Old 13-12-2012, 23:12   #6
apacketofsweets
Inactive

Services: VM BB 30MB, TV XL and Talk Unlimited. Sky TV, BB and Phone.
apacketofsweets is an unknown quantity at this point

It is completely unlimited, but you will be traffic managed after around 8gb is used within a few hours. This will normally see you drop down to standard 3G speeds from HSPA (3.5G) for the rest of the calendar month, the speed will be slightly slower but you can still watch videos/browse with minimal buffering/quality issues.
apacketofsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 14:30   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

HSPA is 3.75G. And currently runs at "up to" 110x faster than "standard 3G speeds" in the UK. I wouldn't call 3G "slightly" slower.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 16:31   #8
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

As someone else stated if you wish for an unlimited data plan you'll need to switch providers to Three.

there is the one plan with virtually unlimited everything, including unlimited tethering, or you can sign up to any of the other packages that have all-you-can-eat-data and then add an unlimited tethering add-on which costs £5 per month.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 16:57   #9
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

The tethering on all-you-can-eat is not unlimited (1GB) only to my dismay.
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:05   #10
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfuz78 View Post
just rung them up yesterday and the woman said to me it is unlimited, if it goes over 8gig they will take any charges off my account if they are incurred, so that is good, has anyone else rung them up and had the same answer?
So they might charge you for going over the limit on your unlimited tariff, and you would have to notice and call them up to get it removed? Something don't seem right with that.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
So virgins unlimited data plan now has a 1GB tethering and 8GB mobile data limit before they slow you down?

Can't see why the OP has been charged at all.
Old 15-12-2012, 17:16   #11
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Was referring to 3 sorry...
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:33   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Was referring to 3 sorry...
1GB is an addon to some other plan.

Three's one plan is totally unlimited tethering data just like the mobile. If you download tens of gigs every day then they are likely to slow your speed down until the end of the week. VM do this too but slow you down until the end of the month.

Seen some people download 250gb a month while tethered on three one plan. No charges.
Old 15-12-2012, 21:40   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

3's unlimited is equally traffic managed when you exceed a given amount of usage. It isn't any more "unlimited" than O2, T-Mobile or VM.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 21:42   #14
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
At one point when i was living away from home i downloaded almost 200GB i got no letters, texts or phone calls to tell me to cut my usage, im not sure where you got the 1GB figure from.

Im sure it states on their website that it is unlimited too.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 22:41   #15
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
3's unlimited is equally traffic managed when you exceed a given amount of usage. It isn't any more "unlimited" than O2, T-Mobile or VM.
No its not. Three do not have a given amount of data limit like VM's unlimited. They do traffic manage the top 2 or 5% (can't remember the percentage right now) of heaviest users until the end of the week. VM do this for the rest of the month and have fair usage limits on their unlimited plan.