Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | corporate wireless on android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need router suggestions for under £100

Old 17-04-2012, 15:48   #1
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Need router suggestions for under £100

I have VM30 XL (soon to be 60Meg) and I don't think my old WNR2000 attached to my VMNG300 is up to the job of throwing that around wirelessly. It has enough trouble with throwing files around the LAN, and it's on a clean channel in my area, anyway... I need a router for under £80 that will cope with dual band simultaneously, and has gigabit ports, and if possible supports DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

FYI in 2.4GHz Channels 1 and 6 are taken, 11 is mostly clean. In 5GHz all channels are clean.

I tend to throw large graphics files over the network, so faster WLAN and LAN is better.

I've been looking at the WNR3700, the D-Link DIR-825, but wondered if there was another suggestion I might look at? The Linksys E4200 is outside my price range, even 2nd hand.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2012, 17:12   #2
crazybones
Inactive

crazybones is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need router suggestions for under £100

As the E4200 is outside your price range (cheapest I can see is £110 delivered from Saverstore), how about the E3200? I nearly bought that before I opted for the E4200.

My experience of the WNDR3700 was poor (lack of stability). Suggest you stear clear of that router.
crazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:00   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Need router suggestions for under £100

The WNDR3700 is one of the best and most stable routers out there, with proper firmware on it and is exceedingly fast. The DIR-825 comes with broken/missing 5Ghz LNAs so the 5Ghz performance is terrible.

However if your old router has problems throwing files around the LAN, it's either got a faulty switch o is not the problem. Throwing files around the LAN shouldn't be going through the router at all.

Finally, whether a channel is "clean" or "taken" should not be taken as an accurate predictor of expected performance. "Clean" channels can perform worse than "taken" ones and often do. Channel occupancy time and noise floor are what determines performance and neither can be determined from whether a channel is "taken" or not.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote