Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Not another new router thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking with NTL Home Modem

Old 24-04-2009, 10:26   #1
FoxySCFC
Inactive

FoxySCFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Networking with NTL Home Modem

Hi,

Im looking for some help on adding a router to my existing NTL Home Cable Modem.

At the moment i simply have the cable connection into the modem, then a usb connection to my PC. However i use xbox live which means i sometimes connect my modem to the xbox via an ethernet connection. So when alternating between the PC and Xbox i have to unplug whichever i am not using anymore and power cycle the modem.

To get around doing this i am thinking of purchasing a router which i am assuming will mean i can keep both the PC and Xbox connected at all times.

From what i understand the router would connect to the modem via the ethernet port. then the xbox would connect to one of the spare ports on the router. Is this correct or would there be anything else involved?

Thanks in advance
FoxySCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2009, 10:36   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Networking with NTL Home Modem

You are correct... and welcome to the forum

The WAN port on the router connects directly to the modem, the LAN ports (normally 4 of them) is then available for you to plug in your PC/xbox/anything else

The power up sequence will be as follows, Modem, Router and then PC/xbox that way the correct IP's are issued.

The ONLY issue might be ports and greatly depends on what software you have running... Programs like P2P or even some games might need a port opening up, you'll soon find out and is a very easy fix..

One other bonus is that just about all routers now sold have wireless which means you can link in other things (like a laptop/ipod)..just remember to change the security setting to WPA2...probably best to ask more when you get the router
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 10:40   #3
FoxySCFC
Inactive

FoxySCFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Networking with NTL Home Modem

Cheers Kymmy, thanks for your help, much appreciated.
FoxySCFC is offline   Reply With Quote